The physical effect of music/sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
    There's been research into this, in fact I'm friends with a dude at college who's deep into this exact line of research.

Certain sounds elicit certain chemical reactions, it's not really that 'mysterious'. Chemical reactions, along with altered synaptic responses = emotions & physical reaction.
    Indeed, it's a chemical thing and as old as music itself, from stirring battle hymns to pissing off old Pineapple-face Noriega with a spot of Metallica. My ex wouldn't get into my car with me if I was listening to Vio-lence, because "it makes you drive like a fucking idiot", and she was right, it used to hype me up, made me a far more aggressive motorist (I'm a fucking idiot 24/7).

There's also the actual physical reactions that audio waves can induce. There are always rumours flying about that "they" have invented a ray gun that beams sub-sonic frequencies at people making them shit their pants on the spot, thereby inc(r)apacitating them instantly, and not so long back some cruise ship fired a sonic weapon at pirates off Somalia, causing them to abort their attack. Theoretically, it's only a matter of shifting the resonant frequencies slightly, along with delivering waves of sufficient strength, that will cause involuntary euphoria moving to down to shitting your pants and giving up the will to resist (a bit like rushing home with St Anger the day it came out).

Was it Killing Joke who experimented with sub-sonic frequencies at their gigs during intro tapes to make the crowd more agitated and prone to kicking off? (Not just because they are shit and have a singer called Jeremy)

Listen to tribal drumming, it's easy to realise how a trance-like state is induced, from the repetition and the rhythm down to the vibration in your chest cavity. That has to affect your mental state of mind, you'll walk over hot coals without fear afterwards.

Apart from all the hooks and riffs etc that do it for me for reasons of association with good times or just because they erm, "sound good", I would recommend you listen to some proper religious choral singing, stuff from the 15th and 16th centuries, when Venice was a centre of power. I don't mean like those fucking corny "Hey hey we're the Monks" CDs that have been appearing lately with some 10 piece monasterial chanting, but I'm talking about the big 150-piece affairs, recorded in those huge cathedrals, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, absolutely fantastic, brought me to a standstill when I heard it on a Radio 4 documentary, just snippets. When I find out what it is exactly, I'll let you know, especially when I stick it through 10k of Floodlight!!!!! I'm not religious, and there were no discernible words, but you could "hear" how it would affect anyone hearing it "live" in a cathedral.

And while we're at it, that made me think about the good old church pipe organ. Now, don't they give you a fucking hard-on when they are in full flow, they blow any down-tuned Extreme Metal away for heaviness. I don't give a shit what sound system you are using, a fucking electric organ relayed through speakers will never ever have the same physical effect that a pipe organ (oo-er!) has, once again, it makes you realise how years ago, the churches were able to captivate their flocks. You can feel the power. (Sadly, becoming a rarity these days, there are few people now who understand and can service them, not to mention the size of the things, and churches are losing the plot with carpets and happy-clappy bullshit, rather than trying to shock and awe as in the past.)
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

yeah... I have noticed it too... tribal drumming has a very hypnotic effect
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Rsmacker mentions the sonic gun things that are around - in Britain at least they've started using things that play high pitched noises to stop youngsters hanging around shops causing bother. Apparently only young people can hear these noises and it works, although the usual PC brigade arseholes are claiming it's an infringement of their civil liberties!
        Anyway, I assume it's like those things you buy for your garden that makes a high pitched noise and keeps out creepy crawlies.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Music has definitely an effect on how I feel, and when I feel good because of the music of course my body reacts to it, I get more energy and shit like that. When I'm down and listen to music that makes me feel better I become more social, joke & fuck around more, which of course is very good for your body as well, 'healthy mind for a healthy body'

Comment

This is sort of related, but maybe a little off-topic. When I first got Cool-Edit many years ago (I think it was Cool-Edit 96) I messed around some with the "brainwave" function in the software. Basically, what it does is produce what are called "binaural beats" by modulating the frequency between the L & R channel. It works best with white noise, then the "brainwave" effect is added. When you listen with good headphones, the brain picks up the beat of the frequency modulation bouncing back & forth between the left & right channels. To me, it sounded a little like a helicopter in the distance cutting trough the white noise. The theory is that brainwave frequency will synch up with the frequency of the modulation, and therefore you can induce the brain to enter various states like alpha, beta, theta, etc. I used it quite a few times with no dramatic results, but I did notice a pretty deep level of relaxation and a little more of a daydreaming sensation than if I tried meditating without it. I haven't tried it in years, because I just don't have the free time I used to, but somebody may want to give it a try. There's quite a bit of info around if you search for brainwave entrainment, binaural beats, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              This is sort of related, but maybe a little off-topic. When I first got Cool-Edit many years ago (I think it was Cool-Edit 96) I messed around some with the "brainwave" function in the software. Basically, what it does is produce what are called "binaural beats" by modulating the frequency between the L & R channel. It works best with white noise, then the "brainwave" effect is added. When you listen with good headphones, the brain picks up the beat of the frequency modulation bouncing back & forth between the left & right channels. To me, it sounded a little like a helicopter in the distance cutting trough the white noise. The theory is that brainwave frequency will synch up with the frequency of the modulation, and therefore you can induce the brain to enter various states like alpha, beta, theta, etc. I used it quite a few times with no dramatic results, but I did notice a pretty deep level of relaxation and a little more of a daydreaming sensation than if I tried meditating without it. I haven't tried it in years, because I just don't have the free time I used to, but somebody may want to give it a try. There's quite a bit of info around if you search for brainwave entrainment, binaural beats, etc.
              Bump!
              I tried some binaural brainwaves recently and had some pretty awesome effects.
              For a couple of years a company called I-Doser http://www.i-doser.com/ has been producing all kinds of white noise sounds which suppose to simulate the effects of drugs. It's safe and non-addictive but some can make you see hallucinations, make you hyped or relaxed or laugh really loud.
              I have no experience with that stuff but I've tried I-Doser's sexual soundwaves and holy shit!!! That stuff makes you really horny, but it works a lot better for females as they can get serious orgasms from it. It's great while having sex and both partners are listening to it through headphones.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I also had CoolEdit96 and did some goofing around with the Brainwave thing. Always wanted to see about burying Alpha-Wave-Enhancing tones into my songs with it, but couldn't get it figured out.

I get nasueated when I hear swirling pans - if I set a Chorus to swirl side to side in a stereo field, it's like being on those Tilt-A-Whirl rides - I get sick and wanna puke.
                I love a Tremolo effect for....effect.... ....but can't have it mixed with certain other tones for the same reason - makes my eyes wobble and I start to hurl.

And +1 to the pipe organ being heavier than anything else. You cannot blast that kinda power from an amp+guitar. Period.

Years ago I had some crapass fly-by-night-Euro-import-house cassette of the Glenn Miller Orchestra. It was a crappy, crappy duplication of the original vinyl. Lasted maybe 3 months and then broke.
                Anyway, the levels were peaking on this cassette on one part of one track - the brass section blasts out the main riff and it sounds like you're at the docks as the ships are blaring their horns. The CD of the exact same song made from the original vinyl recordings is nowhere near peaking. There's no analog breakup, and the section doesn't have the same power.

And next time you're in WalMart, grab that Spirit Flutes CD by David Maracle from the Candles And Other New Age Bullshit aisle. Track 11, Walking With The Elders is the one the little display thing always plays. I can hear the crushing Metal rhythms and drums under it every time
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  And +1 to the pipe organ
                  huh huh... hu... huh huh. You said "pipe organ."
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

i can tell you that listening to music all day has saved my life for the last
                    year and a half. all kinds of music.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Here's two that worked on me, I don't know if they work for everyone but it's still pretty cool stuff.

You have to listen to it with the headphones, while lying down on the bed in the dark and be relaxed.

Here's one which should make you tripping but it's not easy to get it to work.

Comment

There are several songs that will elicit emotions when I hear them. For the longest time when I would hear Garage Days I would get the taste of beer in my mouth. Also in regards to physical reactions to music. I have a constant ring in my hearing and to save what I have left I wear earplugs to concerts now. A few years ago I went and saw Ministry and of course I was wearing earplugs. The volume and force of their sound did not affect my hearing but after 1.5 hours it did have an effect on my body. I wouldnt describe it as being nausious but I had an odd feeling after the show.

Comment

I literally get shivers down my spine when I listen to some of Tori Amos' music. At the same part of the song each time.

I highly recommend the book "This is your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitan for those interested in this subject.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Cool stuff, Endrik! I may give those a go.

Comment

Working...
                            X