Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to build a new computer? Gamers here??? help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To kinda get this back on track, you have any specific questions other than a motherboard? Sounds like you know pretty well whats going on. Just as a reference, I got this about a month ago for about 600 after my rebates come....

Intel E8400 (3ghz dual core, EASILY overclockable)
    Biostar something P45 chipset mobo
    320 GB HDD - 7200RPM
    ATI HD 4850
    4GB DDR800 RAM
    Vista 64 (which has worked very well. Vista problems are of the past)

Just used the old keyboard/mouse/monitor/dvd/etc.

Also, I'd ditch the velociraptors. They're way more money than they're worth unless you're playing games that are constantly hitting the hard drive. You'll notice a few seconds quicker on load, but thats it. If you want fast hard drives, get a couple 7200rpm ones and stick em in raid 0 - more space that way, too.

Comment

thebigz

I appreciate the info, the motherboard I think I've nailed down to the Asus P5E3 Deluxe X48 as it seems to have the best support right now and most people are telling me to stay away from nvidia boards, I'd rather support ATI as well, so a single 4870 x2 is what I'm gunna do and sue my 20" monitor right now.

I'm usiong a raid 0 right now, but it just failed so thats why im building a new rig, this time raid 0 +1 so I have some redundancy. The wolfdale procs are looking tempting, and I can oc them with just air and not worry to much.

thanks guys!

C

Comment

4870x2 or 2x 4870 is probably overkill for a 20", but its rock and roll as

Good future proofing though, for when you grab a 24" or whatever. X48 is the best chipset out atm, imo, unless your mad into overclocking. But for video performance and real world usage, your on the right track!

Comment

I was looking at the ASUS P5E3, and it seems to have BIOS issues (like 10 versions difference - upgrade 4.01 to 14.01?)

I know it's easier these days - don't need a floppy and all that old-skool stuff - but if it's that simple, why isn't the manufacturer doing it?

Just about everything I look at has some sort of issue that keeps it from being "put it together and turn it on" like my old stuff was.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

After shipping and taxes, the system Lou spec'd out in the other thread will go up to over $1000 (like $1030 or so). That's a bit high for me right now, but I NEED to replace my desktop. I can only record music on my desktop - the laptop just cannot do it.

So, poking around TigerDirect and Newegg, I went looking for something similar to the dead machine I have now - P4, 2GB Ram, etc etc.

Newegg only has the new stuff listed.

I was able to put this together at TigerDirect:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM 1 $ 59.99 $ 59.99 Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable Drive SATA - 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 12x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW, 48x CD-ROM, Black 1 $ 29.99 $ 29.99 ZEROtherm / CF900 / Socket 775 / Copper Base / Heatpipes / CPU Cooler 1 $ 39.99 $ 39.99 Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM Version 1 $ 139.99 $ 139.99 XFX nForce 630i Socket 775 Barebones Kit - NVIDIA GeForce 7100, Intel Pentium D 940, 3GB DDR2-667, Mid Tower Case, 450 Watt Power Supply 1 $ 187.49 $ 187.49Subtotal:$ 457.45

Should be here this week. It'll at least get me back in music, which is the main thing right now.

Maybe I'll splurge next year and build another $1700 system with all-new everything.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X