Sound quality of todays CD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound quality of todays CD's

Ok, I think it has been touched on before, but I just really cannot believe the difference in sound between the CD's I bought in the 80's in Japan compared to new or mainstream distribution of the same albums. Talk about the new stuff sounding like total crap is an understatement. There may be recordings that benefit, but none of the ones I have heard have improved. I have alot of 80's stuff that I bought over there and my neighbor has quite an extensive catalog as well. We have compared several albums, ie. Journey, Ratt, Badlands, etc and his sound like crap. Is it just a cheaper process or has all of this stuff really been totally fucked? I know alot of Journey's catalog was remastered, but what about the others?
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

The Remastered Jethro Tull ones certainly sound better, but then Ian Anderson would have made sure of it.

I think it's probably just because the old Analog way of recording was inherently better, in terms of sound.
    You can buy a solid state amp that can sound like a valve amp, but it just doesn't really. I think modern albums suffer from the same issue.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

new records sound like shit because everything is mixed and mastered to sound loud as hell... notice when you listen to the radio all the 80's tunes sound so much better than the new ones... they didn't have that mentality back then.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

E,

You mean all of the new ones are mixed like they have a cheap boombox "loudness" button pressed? That's the way I think of it.
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          new records sound like shit because everything is mixed and mastered to sound loud as hell... notice when you listen to the radio all the 80's tunes sound so much better than the new ones... they didn't have that mentality back then.
          I've read you say that before. I'm just back from a few days in London and I loaded my phone with a few mp3 albums when I went. On it I had:

The new Motorhead, Krisiun and Deicide albums.
          Old albums by Motley Crue and Xentrix from about the 80's.

The new albums all sounded compressed to hell and I struggled to hear what was going on in the songs over the sound of the road (my wife was driving).
          The old albums sounded louder, clearer and more natural. And considering Xentrix were just a wee English thrash band, who wouldn't have had the money to get an expensive production job at the time, I thought it was pretty conclusive.
          Older albums sound much better than new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
            E,

You mean all of the new ones are mixed like they have a cheap boombox "loudness" button pressed? That's the way I think of it.
            exactly... and it's so compressed and clips that it actually takes away the power... and still those doucebags in the industry think that brickwalling is cool
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital, but everything to do with the processing, more specifically the use of multiband compressors (as some of you have already have noted). Have a look at

http://www.huennebeck-online.de/musi...A-E/index.html

In the signal processing community, people generally blame TC Electronic and their multiband compressor for all this. If I remember correctly, it was invented in the late 80s so it wasn't around when many of the orignal CDs were produced. Similar technology is also used by most radio stations today.
              Last edited by javert; 10-14-2008, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Check out the figures for the original and remastered Dire Straits, for example.... There's a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                  It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital, but everything to do with the processing, more specifically the use of multiband compressors (as some of you have already have noted). Have a look at

http://www.huennebeck-online.de/musi...A-E/index.html

In the signal processing community, people generally blame TC Electronic and their multiband compressor for all this. If I remember correctly, it was invented in the late 80s so it wasn't around when many of the orignal CDs were produced. Similar technology is also used by most radio stations today.
                  just like many people still use Fairchild, LA-2A, 1176 etc. stuff instead of kewl plug-ins there are still great great mastering compressors in use... bands with multimillion record budget don't use cheap multi-band crap.

the problem is the person behind the equipment... people are going nuts with the db's these days.

when you are watching a movie on the tube and suddenly the commercial starts you'll notice how much louder the commercial is and how crappy the sound is compared to the movie's.... those commercials are all made with cheap multi-band comps... because it's cheap and fast and no one gives a shit right...

but when it comes to making records... no matter what comps they have... the great vintage ones or new cheap shit.... they still just turn the sound into crap
                  Last edited by Endrik; 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Sound quality of todays CD's

> This is my ONLY complaint about Dream Theater,is that several of their cd's sound like ass when I listen to them on a system where the EQ curve is flat or can't be adjusted. I have to slightly cut the bass,scoop the mids and slightly boost the highs on my own stuff at home.

I agree,it's like someone pushed the "loudness" button on an old-school system. Tommy D.
                    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

when you are watching a movie on the tube and suddenly the commercial starts you'll notice how much louder the commercial is
                      Please come round and explain that part to my wife. I'm sick of her walking into the room during a commercial and saying "Turn that TV down FFS, are you deaf or something?" and not believing me when I say the commercials are always louder than the programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                        Please come round and explain that part to my wife. I'm sick of her walking into the room during a commercial and saying "Turn that TV down FFS, are you deaf or something?" and not believing me when I say the commercials are always louder than the programmes.
                        hehee... I get the same thing from other people... but it's truly agitating... you are watching an intense thriller where the characters are whispering and then suddenly some cunts start yelling how much their washing powder is better than the brand x one

Comment

just like many people still use Fairchild, LA-2A, 1176 etc. stuff instead of kewl plug-ins there are still great great mastering compressors in use... bands with multimillion record budget don't use cheap multi-band crap.

the problem is the person behind the equipment... people are going nuts with the db's these days.
                          Agreed, which is also what the TC Electronic guys say when you bring up the matter (you don't have to crank it). What they are generally blamed for is starting it all with their product. I don't know what you mean specifically by 'cheap multi-band crap', though. Those 'multimillion record budget' releases suffer from the same problems.

Comment

hehee... I get the same thing from other people... but it's truly agitating... you are watching an intense thriller where the characters are whispering and then suddenly some cunts start yelling how much their washing powder is better than the brand x one
                            LOL
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven
                            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X