The rock concert "drum solo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rock concert "drum solo"

When a rock show was like a Disneyland experience, along with the guitar solo, one of the highlights of the evening was also the drum solo.
    Here's a few that stand the test of time.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the best drummer in the world does an awsome 8 minuite solo!!! watch the whole thing. this dude is awsome!

Incredible

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Not a drum solo but rock n roll show indeed.

Add more drum solos if you like.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Not the best technically by any means...but for putting on a show and pushing the envelope..........Tommy Lee going upside down and over was awesome.

Alex Van Halen had some memorable ones too with the quad bass drum set up. Too many examples to pull a great one from but here's an oldie.

Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
      Alex Van Halen had some memorable ones too with the quad bass drum set up. Too many examples to pull a great one from but here's an oldie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvEh2NXGN_w
      I was looking for a solo of Alex way back when he played with the drums on fire and couldn't find any. But yes, Alex seemed to always have top notch solo's.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

How about a drummer that doesn't need a solo slot to blow everyone's mind? Except in rare cases, they seem like filler, no?

Vic Firth presents Tomas Haake at New England Metal & Hardcore Festival 2008Performing the song Electric Red by Meshuggah (from the album obZen).Tomas has pe...

That's the stuff, oh, yes.

Comment

Keith Moon with the goldfish

Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
            How about a drummer that doesn't need a solo slot to blow everyone's mind? Except in rare cases, they seem like filler, no?

Vic Firth presents Tomas Haake at New England Metal & Hardcore Festival 2008Performing the song Electric Red by Meshuggah (from the album obZen).Tomas has pe...

That's the stuff, oh, yes.

Filler for the most part, chance for the rest of the guys to grab a beer and get a quick blowjob. At least in the 80s it seemed.
            Last edited by Larz; 10-14-2008, 06:42 PM.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Yes, Moon was the drummer that inspired many.
              Thanks.

Comment

Drum solos, u mean "piss breaks" ?
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  Yep, I did that on several.

Comment

Drum solos, bass solos, guitar solos... whatever. Nothing slows down the pace of a concert like extended single instrument wanking. I am sure I'm in the minority, but in MOST cases, I have hated those "spotlight solos" during the concerts I've attended.

I certainly don't mind solos during songs with full accompaniment, but man I get bored just listening to someone flailing away by themselves.

Alex Lifeson did a great acoustic solo this past tour, but I find that an acoustic guitar in general stands well on its own, unlike a bass, guitar, or drums. I feel the same about a piano; a piano can carry a song on its own, and therefore I can handle piano solos too.

Maybe I'm wierd.

- E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                      Ya know, thats what I always said too. But when we saw VH this year we were blown away by Alex's solo. He looked like hell but his solo was awesome.

Comment

I recently saw Thin Lizzy, and the absolute lowlight of a sadly mediocre gig was a drum solo by Tommy "Charlie Chuck" Aldridge. God, it was fuckin' torture.

Comment

Any other Minnesota folks remember Chameleon? Their drummer had a flipping drum kit long before Tommy. They also had Yanni

Tommy's was pretty cool.

Eric Carr had a nice solo I think during the Animalize tour when he used electronic drums programmed with different chords. One was off and Bruce would play something backstage when he hit it.
                          Last edited by Bri; 10-15-2008, 05:03 AM.

Comment

in rock... Ian Paice and Ginger Baker did the best ones... both had great composition and rudimental skills and that what counts in a drum solo

Alex VH has gotten really good too... he sounds more and more like Ginger (in a good way)... the solo I saw was very well thought out and everybody seemed to enjoy that.

but as I always say... if someone is a good drummer that doesn't mean he is good at drum solos.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well, In my VH trib, my bass solo was major a highlight of our show. So much so..my band insisted to extend it. I have a show on DVD. I need to send this out to someone here. Ironically I got alot more compliments and offers than anyone in the band..and I was just a lowly bass player. The bottom feeder of the musical foodchain..

I know what you mean tho..I see more than my share of long winded and boring solos..but they're in those rare occassiona when a player's ability to capture the audience.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X