Ok, I'm a football fan, but not always knowledgeable (sp?) on things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I'm a football fan, but not always knowledgeable (sp?) on things

Why the hell would Detroit trade Roy Williams a TOP NOTCH receiver for them, to the Cowboys for their 1st, 3rd and 6th round draft picks, and they get Roy and our 7th round pick..WTF?? Can someone 'splain this to me?? Our season is sucking we will be ahead of them in the draft anyway. Why give up a kick ass pro bowl player for some picks??

well, they pick up the cowboys draft picks and keep theirs in the same round (except for the 7th). so unless they traded for more, they will get 2 picks in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th and 0 in the 7th.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Yeah, their sacrificing a star player for some good round picks to build a team.
      These type of trades happen a lot when building a team, thinking long term.

Ex. the Colts, yes I live in Indy, but its a good example nonetheless.
      Payton got drafted and started it took about 2-3 years and during this time all the Colts had was a good defensive game, no offense at all. Well, what little the offense could do was very very little. Basically in a nut shell, the Colts were winning with field goals and a strong defense. Most know winning games by field goals and good defense doesn't last too long and won't take you to a championship.

So shortly after Payton's first 2-3 yrs the Colts made a couple of star player trades to gain some good round/draft picks to build an offensive game.
      Payton needed an offense that could do both run and pass. This didn't happen overnight it took awhile.
      Once the offensive game was established (could do both run and pass) they actually became a strong overall competitive team that went on and won a Superbowl.

It least in sports, it takes giving up to get somewhere and hopefully that somewhere is a championship. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
      Last edited by Soap; 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Plus, Detroit has a lot of needs to fill. More high picks can possibly get them a few studs to plug into their defense. More talent all around compared to one player ? I'll take that any day of the week. They already have Calvin Johnson, so their #1 receiver spot is well taken care of.
        I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Ok, you guys made it make sense. Thanks..you have to remember my team has been known for some boneheaded moves, I just assumed this was another one

Comment

Working...
          X