? for all you "no fret marker" guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for all you "no fret marker" guys

I've never played one, but I'd think I'd lose my mind looking for the little side markers to see where I am. Was it tough getting used to it ?
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

I dont even notice it most of the time. But I don't often look at my left hand.

Comment

It's only odd at first if you have a habit of looking at the face of your fretboard. I noticed that when I sit and play I have a tendency to lean over the front of the guitar more, but it didn't take long to rectify that habit.

I saw an ESP custom M1 a couple years ago that had no fret markers and no side position markers. That would be a mindfuck for me.

Comment

No side markers either ? I'd be screwed.

Comment

It was alittle confusing at times when i had my COW DK6, but after a while you get used to your guitar and finding the frets just becomes easier.

Comment

My 86 SD soloist has no markers just side dots and I really don't notice much difference while playing it as opposed to one with markers.To be honest all I use are the side dots come to think of it.Great question PH.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had a 7-string Schecter with only a 12th fret inlay. I realized I mostly only use the side dots anyway, so it was fine.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                My 86 SD soloist has no markers just side dots and I really don't notice much difference while playing it as opposed to one with markers.To be honest all I use are the side dots come to think of it.Great question PH.
                Can we see it?

Comment

Hmmm .... you know, now I'm going to have to pay attention and see just how much I use the side markers. Maybe it wouldn't be as hard a thing as I think it would. The question just popped into my head while I was checking out a KV for sale at TMZ that has no inlays.

Comment

I just use the side markers if I get lost.
                    -Rick

Comment

If there are no inlays I use the side markers, not a big problem for me. Love the look of a blank fretboard.

What actually DID fuck me up was the "wine of life" inlay on my old Dean Vendetta 3.0, which had the middle of the inlay (the "Z") on the 11th fret. Boy did I get lost because of that. I sold the guitar last year...
                      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

as you improve, and you really start to get in touch with your guitar, try to not look at the neck when you're playing. feel the chords, shape the chords.

i remember an article from gftpm from back in like 1989 where paul gilbert writes that it becomes imperative to play by feel alone. looking down at your fretboard to see what you're going to play next causes your brain to process the vision and reaction, as opposed to planning for your next chord or run and excecuting it.

it's hard in the beginning, but will do wonders for your stage presence, and it's really quite impressive...
                        198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                        1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                        2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                        2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                        2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                        2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                        2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

as long as you have side markers you really don't need top ones.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            I just use the side markers if I get lost.
                            I use my GPS

My Schon had only the 12th fret marker, and side dots.

Never bugged me, in fact, I like the clean look of the fretboard a lot!
                            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                            --floydkramer

Comment

I need big inlays I.e. sharkfins!! That's why I have a Model 4. I've always had guitars with sharkies / the ibanez sharktooth inlays, I don't navigate very well around necks with dot inlays! Fret markers don't help me that much.. but deffo better than nothing! Real classical acoustic guitars are not supposed to have fret markers or inlays, they're mindfucks...

Comment

Working...
                              X