Best Eruption replication and instruction ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Eruption replication and instruction ever

Session ace Peter Thorn (now playing in Chris Cornell's solo band) really captures the tone, feel and nuances (with Suhr strat and 5150III) of the record version while most people just play the notes. There's still a couple of tiny differences compared to the original version but this is by far the best cover I have ever heard/seen. Nice analytical step-by-step explanation too.

A multi-part lesson detailing how to accurately play Van Halen's "Eruption"check out my album "Guitar Nerd" on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/guitarnerd

Part 2 in my "How To Play Eruption" lessoncheck out my album "Guitar Nerd" on Facebook!www.facebook.com/guitarnerd

Part 3 Of my "How To Play "Euption" guitar lesson seriescheck out my album "Guitar Nerd" on Facebook!www.facebook.com/guitarnerd

4th part of my "How To Play Eruption" guitar lesson seriescheck out my album "Guitar Nerd" on Facebook!www.facebook.com/guitarnerd

Part 5 in my "How To Play Eruption" guitar lesson seriescheck out my album "Guitar Nerd" on Facebook!www.facebook.com/guitarnerd
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

awesome!! this guy smokes i saw him when chris cornell supported aerosmith. He really nailed the tone
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Great link!
      Thanks bro!
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

E ..I must say he really knows how to nail that fucker. He's really got a nice authentic "recorded" Eruption tone with that EVHIII. I don't think Ed used a MXR distortion plus, but he did use a Variac with the voltage turned down to 90 volts. Its does work well with an old cranked marshall, be it a plexi, sl, jmp, or even an early 800. Of course he used his space echo and script phase 90. Very good version indeed. He really has the nuances down..but he did fuck up 38 seconds in..which is an excerpt of a classical violin piece. I NEVER knew the name of that. Endrik bro..what is that fuggin' piece..Jack Benny used to always play that I believe.

Cool, I always winged Eruption myself..most people wouldn't know the difference. But I do. I should sit with these vids and actually learn the fuggin' thing right.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've only been playing that wrong ..forever!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, that phrase is from The Yankee Doodle Boy by George Cohan, Jack Benny played it and of course James Cagney sang it in A Yankee Doodle Dandy flick

Those session guys are just sick, absolutely the best, they can nail every players feel and tone. They even replicate the feel of sloppy players. You know when some "famous" sloppy type musicians recorded their parts which timing was little off and didn't want to fix them then the producers secretly brought in those session guys who nailed the slop and every other nuance but with the correct timing etc. Bands had no idea that their parts were played by some other people
            But these days most are fixed with pro tools and shit... but still good "ghost players" sometimes get some work.
            Last edited by Endrik; 10-31-2008, 07:03 AM.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

They wouldn't be able to nail my sound and technique.

("Shit" in both instances)
              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

you have no idea how much shit they have nailed down

Comment

I got that dude in my YouTube fav's. I posted him a comment a while back saying that was the best Eruption on the net.

Comment

Yup very cool...great tone too!

Comment

Yep, he's got it down and by far one of the better versions of Eruption I've heard, period.
                      Oh and I bookmarked too.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

That's far better than my drunken version (although I'm pretty fierce when it comes to that tapping part) :ROTF:

Comment

"Bill, that phrase is from The Yankee Doodle Boy by George Cohan, Jack Benny played it and of course James Cagney sang it in A Yankee Doodle Dandy flick "

E.. is that what it is. I always thought it was a much older ditty. Cool, thanks maN..I never fuggin' knew that. For some reason I knew you did..

Comment

He has a problem with his right eye.
                            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Thats as good as it gets regarding Eruption. Great tone, feel.. everything. I have been playing Eruption since a few weeks after it first came out in the around 1979 and I pretty much have been able to nail it since then. This guy makes me sound bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X