fuck today's recording techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuck today's recording techniques

so I went to see the new Bond movie and when the open titles started and the soundtrack by Jack White & Alicia Keys came in... I was like this is one of the best goddamn drum sound ever...

.... and it's made with 3 fucking microphones and in MONO!!!!
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Yeah, some of the best stuff is made outside of "standards"...

Comment

Most Favorite drum sound... King Diamond "Abigal"

Least favorite drum sound... King Diamond "Them"

Weird, same drummer (Mikki Dee) and it was following album, haha...

Comment

Terrible drum sound... Metallica "Garage Inc."

Wicked terrible drum sound... Metallica " St. Anger"

Weird, same drummer (Lars Ulrich) and it was following album, haha

:p
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
          Most Favorite drum sound... King Diamond "Abigal"

Least favorite drum sound... King Diamond "Them"

Weird, same drummer (Mikki Dee) and it was following album, haha...
          King Diamond seems to like that "clicky" kick drum sound. It seems that most of his releases, both solo and with Mercyful Fate, seem to have somewhat that same characteristic clicky kick drum. I guess it stands out better and is more clear when using double kick.

Still, you're right about the Abigail CD.

Comment

Favorite drum sound... Dr Feelgood.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              .... and it's made with 3 fucking microphones and in MONO!!!!
              Yep, the marvels of modern technology.
              Ooooooooops, my bad didn't carefully read the post.
              Last edited by Soap; 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Anybody who's interested in Frank Zappa's music at all and missed the release of the Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation DVD from a year or so ago should check it out. Dweezil talks a lot about the recording techniques his dad used. He takes the original multi-track tapes and isolates bits and pieces so you can hear them better, including the Tina Turner backup vocals on "Dirty Love." Interesting stuff.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

when the levee breaks - killer drums
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    Most Favorite drum sound... King Diamond "Abigail"
                    Best rock drumming record EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      when the levee breaks - killer drums
                      2 mics used and beats the shit out of anything that's been made today
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

My Favorite drum sound came from the original Kiss Alive II album. -Lou
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
                          Yeah, some of the best stuff is made outside of "standards"...
                          yep... but funny thing is... that was a standard like 40 years ago... you rely on a good drummer, good drums, the right drumheads and tuning, great sounding room, the room ambience, a couple of mics... which go to good analog preamp, then to console, some compressing and echo and of course 2" tape... that's how they got the sound for the bond soundtrack.
                          But today there is million mics (not a bad thing actually), million triggers, samples, samples, samples, computers, computers, computers, everything is edited like crazy, and you can pan in stereo (a very good thing)... and yet most is turned into a lifeless shit... a lot annoying clicking sound which doesn't sound like drums at all... more like someone is hitting pingpong balls against plastic crate.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Favorite drum sound... Dr Feelgood.
                            that's the synthesis of old school and modern techniques... Bob Rock trademark sound

a lot of mics (close miced)... at leas two for each drum... to get really tight sound... and then there's a lot of room mics to capture the natural room ambience, and the power. And incredible, wide panoramic mixing. That's why they sound BIG!!!!

A lot of heavy records have a tight sound but lack depth and don't sound really big... and the crash cymbals are kinda wussy sounding. Thanks to the old school methods in Dr. Feelgood... the crash cymbal just fucking destroys.

Comment

Biggest best drum sounds ever to me were "Creatures Of the Night" by KISS. The whole thing sounds massive. I also think that has just about the best bass sounds ever too. Listen to "Saint and Sinner". Great record and sounds. I don't think KISS did anything evem close after that....
                              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X