Xbox 360 VS PS3 advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 VS PS3 advice.

Hey guys I know shit about this. My kid originally asked for a PS3. But once we discovered that the new PS3 systems don't play PS2 games ..it defeated the original purpose. Since he has a shitload of PS2 games he still loves to play. I heard you could go to the Playstation site and dowlnload some bullshit, but some say it's problematic...some say you can't do that..and yada. He does NOT give a shit about the blue ray BS, or has a HD TV. He just wants to play games..not online..just in his room..like always. For $400 plus tx, I think it's bullshit.

I was advised to buy an older used PS3 that is cabaple of playing PS3 games...but even those are going for over $300 and it's used.

I think the best bet is buying the standard $200 Xbox360 and buy a used hardrive at a game exhange for about 50 bucks to save games. Or pay $300 for the one that has more gig..or whatever the fuck.

Then he can use a a/b splitter for whatever system he wants to play.

So for my needs, what is the cheapest and best way to go..please tell me if I need 20, 40, 60, 80 gig and ect..

This shit is all greek to me, I don't play video games.

I would be happy to buy him the PS3 if it can play PS2 games without a bunch of hassle.

Thank VERY much in advance,

Bill Z
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

keep the PS2 and let him still play those games, but get 360 premium, theres a lot more games on 360 and a much better online (its worth the monthly fee.) itll totally be good for him and a great christmas prestent haha

Comment

Bill, the 360 is much better. I have yet to read a review that says otherwise. Better games, better graphics, cheaper..etx....
      Get a 360 and get it tomorrow.. its black friday

Comment

I have the PS3 and love it. There are for sure more games for the Xbox but Sony is starting to catch up. The main reason i chose the PS3 over the Xbox is the Blu-ray player. After watching both kinds of DVDs on my HDTV, i can't wait to get more titles for the Blu-ray. Besides, my 40 year old ass deals with the graphics (minor diff IMO), playing games via HD on any system kills IMO so that was the reason i was swayed. Plus i have had GREAT luck with all my Sony gear. MS... not so much
        Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Just remember, that you'll probably be sending that broken 360 in for repair shortly after you buy it.

I sent my X-Box to Microsoft 4 times before I finally got fed up of its' reliability issues.

I switched to PS3 and I've been loving it ever since. No problems at all.

Controllers are rechargeable and last forever while X-Box makes you buy batteries or an extra adapter to charge your controller.

PS3 has free online play, X-Box costs money but in the end X-Box live is a bit more enjoyable and stable for online play.

This is my completely unbiased opinion. I'm a PC gamer so I don't care for either system enough to lose any sleep over, but the PS3 is the definite winner.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          Better games, better graphics, cheaper.
          Wrong on most counts.

Minus a few exclusive, almost all games are made for both PS3 and 360 and "better," well, that's up to the buyer to decide on. 360 doesn't have Metal Gear Solid 4, which just happens to be the best game ever made.

As far as better graphics go, I have no idea where you pulled that one out of. The 360 doesn't come close to the processing power of PS3. The Sony absolutely kills Microsoft in this department.

Cheaper, but not by much. It's been a while since these came out.

Comment

Thanks guys..OK let me stress this. He isn't interested in the Blue Ray, he doesn't have a HD TV, and he won't be playing online...ever.

If things wern't as tight as they are and he had a PC of his own..things may be different. I'm sure blue ray looks amazing. But we're still completly content watching old VHS tapes on a fuzzy rear projection TV..please keep this in mind.

So the premium 360 would be the $299, instead of the $199? I know they make one that's $399..but he's NOT going to be be downloading movies or any of that stuff. He just wants to play games that look better than his PS2, and be able to save the game..that is all.

If it sounds like I'm a moron with this stuff..I am.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

JACKSONVHT..can I play PS2 games on the PS3? I heard the older units can but you can't on the new units. Why did they change that..that's stupid IMO!.

Comment

Check out the live.com rebate and look for one on ebay.... I chose the PS3 simply for blue-ray and got a brand new one sealed in box on ebay for $290 after the live.com rebate. I must say the blue-ray looks amazing... too bad I had to put it back in the box after testing it... It 's a x-mas gift after all

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonVHT View Post
                  Just remember, that you'll probably be sending that broken 360 in for repair shortly after you buy it.

I sent my X-Box to Microsoft 4 times before I finally got fed up of its' reliability issues.

I switched to PS3 and I've been loving it ever since. No problems at all.

Controllers are rechargeable and last forever while X-Box makes you buy batteries or an extra adapter to charge your controller.

PS3 has free online play, X-Box costs money but in the end X-Box live is a bit more enjoyable and stable for online play.

This is my completely unbiased opinion. I'm a PC gamer so I don't care for either system enough to lose any sleep over, but the PS3 is the definite winner.

Wrong on most counts.

Minus a few exclusive, almost all games are made for both PS3 and 360 and "better," well, that's up to the buyer to decide on. 360 doesn't have Metal Gear Solid 4, which just happens to be the best game ever made.

As far as better graphics go, I have no idea where you pulled that one out of. The 360 doesn't come close to the processing power of PS3. The Sony absolutely kills Microsoft in this department.

Cheaper, but not by much. It's been a while since these came out.
                  I am just going by what ALL the critics and reviewers post online regarding the 2 consoles. The problem I read.. regarding the PS3 isn't the power of its processors (which are far superior to the XBox 360's) but rather how they are used. Also... besides being a third of the price... the 360 has a much larger game selection and much better online gaming. These aren't my opinions.. these are reviews from all the top gaming magazines.
                  I can paste review after review stating what I mentioned but in the end its whatever blows your skirt up.
                  Bottom line Bill, if you want to play old PS2 games, go over to Gamestop and pick up an old refurb'd PS2 for $99.00 and be done with it.

Comment

Yes, the Premium is the $299 one and comes with a hard drive and one controller... id suggest getting him a second controller to go with it so he can play two player with his friends or whatever. The Elite is the $399 one, but he wont need that one for sure.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                      Check out the live.com rebate and look for one on ebay.... I chose the PS3 simply for blue-ray and got a brand new one sealed in box on ebay for $290 after the live.com rebate. I must say the blue-ray looks amazing... too bad I had to put it back in the box after testing it... It 's a x-mas gift after all

But you need a HD TV to appreciate the blue ray?..yes?

He doesn't have that. He has a five year old 27th Zenith that'll prolly out live my ass..:ROTF:

No I'm not buying him a HD TV when I pay 15 bucks a month for my cable service. No, I'm not changing ALL that so this lil' fuck can play video games..

No I don't have to go digital..the cable goes right into my old TVs.
                      Last edited by horns666; 11-27-2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

"You're gonna take this Super Nintendo and you're gonna like it....PERIOD!"

Comment

Thanks guys..Yeah the $299 360 sound like what I need. Yeah John. Vinny already has a PS2..its several years old now and worked without a glich. My nephews have an early 360, and they're fuggin' animals..I mean fuggin' lil' filthy animals. My one lil' nephew Billy (he's 5) shoved a PB&J sandwich in the fugger ..a virtual sandwich actually appeared on the screen..and he was trying to eat it.

I'd get the PS3 if it would play PS2 games..so that way he didn't have to fuck around with a splitter and shit. There's going to be a lot of promotions and bundle packages before Christmas. No need to wait in lines with a bunch of cocksuckers on black friday. There's nothing I hate more than lines..and that's without the cocksuckers...and I hate cocksuckers even more without the lines. I need a fuggin' xannax just thinking about it.

Nah, The only thing that is going to be black this friday is my bong!

Comment

Buy him an Xbox and Dead Rising. If he has a sense of humour even remotely similar to mine he will quite enjoy it. Especially impaling guys with augers or cutting them in half with a hedge clipper.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                              "You're gonna take this Super Nintendo and you're gonna like it....PERIOD!"

...He got that in the basement. I thought I could put that on Ebay and sell it as a collector's item..he's got all kind of games with it. It still works perfect..:ROTF:

watch, whatever I'll buy will take a dump the first fuggin' day. Now, you prolly gave me the curse of the "bocia della morte"...

Now I'm fuggin' dying..I spewed coffee all over myself..ahhhh it's...t's all in my keyborad..:ROTF:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Comment

Working...
                              X