Xbox 360 VS PS3 advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
    Buy him an Xbox and Dead Rising. If he has a sense of humour even remotely similar to mine he will quite enjoy it. Especially impaling guys with augers or cutting them in half with a hedge clipper.
    OK, my JCF son Ben!!!

He wants GTA4 so he can bust a cap in some ho's ass!!!

I heard that game is pretty crazy..he's got all the other
    ones. He 's been playing GTA since he was 6. I figure it taught him more about real life in Cleveland than watching fuggin' Telly Tubbys..

Vinny is here now..he wants Assisin's creed, Rockband with all the instruments, Madden 09. I'll tell him about Dead Rising.

Oh he want Shaun White's snowboarding..I have no idea why..when he could cut people in half with hedge clippers.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Just to warn you, Dead Rising is really hard at first.

Rockband is great. He'll probably demolish at drums. Assassin's Creed's good too. I played it a while back. It's really easy to get into. GTA4 is also amazing. I played about 60 hours of it over the summer. I've never played the new Madden so I can't say on that.

Hopefully I'm helping you out a little.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I prefer the 360 for a few obvious reasons (more games, more accessories, easier to buy stuff for, more people online) but some of the less likely ones is companies like EA tend to patch 360 games first due to the larger user base. I would not worry about RRoD issues as they have a 3 year warranty on those. A pain yeah, but it's covered. Just be sure to register it.

And bill, my favorite snow boarding game was Cool boarders 2 for the PS1... 3 was good too, but 2 was the best by far. Amped 3 is pretty cool for the 360 if you can stand how over the top it is. I have not tried Shaun white's snowboarding, but it looks good. My latest game has been Need For Speed Undercover... you could probably appreciate it (police pursuits, and online you can be the cop) but the game feels like an unfinished beta. No racing game will match GT4 in depth, but GRiD is incredible fun to play.

Comment

You don't just kill zombies either. There's a storyline too.

I'm with CharvelRocker on the 360. I've had mine for a few months and it's really good plus I can trade games with my brother, whose 360 I used until he moved out.

Edit: They don't have any of the truly morbid stuff like running around in a snakeskin suit with a teddy bear mask decapitating things with a scythe.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My favourite/most gory weapon starts at 2:05 though it doesn't show how gruesome it truly gets (Limbs from the impaled dude flying EVERYWHERE).

Double edit: Here's a great website to look up info on everything. It's basically Wikipedia for videogames.

The largest video game database online, Giant Bomb features Game Reviews, News, Videos, and Forums for the latest in PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, DS, 3DS, NGP, and more!
          Last edited by Ben...; 11-27-2008, 10:34 PM.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Bill, I have the 360 and the PS3. Mine will play the PS2 games as well. Here is how I look at them:
            The PS3 is like a Ferrari. It is a perfectly tuned, flawless machine built for performance. However, like the Ferrari, it costs more and you are the only one out of all your friends that has one.

The 360 is like a Camaro or Mustang. Not as refined, not as dependable, but, a great bang for the buck......just like a hooker having a liquidation sale. And all your friends have one.....360 that is...not the hooker....unless your friends are like mine....then they also have hooker.

If money was no objest, I would say the PS3. It is more versatile then the 360 due to the Blu-Ray. The 360, however, will be cheaper.

Here is the real downside to the PS3 besides the PS2 compatibilty issue. The PS3 Cell Processor walks all over the Xbox. No one with half a brain can argue that. Most of the games makers build the games for both systems. But, look on the backs of the games. You will notice the 360 games are made in 1080i format. Although the PS3 will do 1080i and 1080p, alot of the game makers make the games for the PS3 in 720p format. Sony is pissed about this. Especially since Sony dropped the price of the game making software to less than half to encourage the buildeers.

I think the reason for this is because making a game for the 360 and the PC are very similar in coding. It is also harder to write the games for the Sony Cell processor. Remember the Sega Saturn with its multiple processors, anyone?

The 360 does not have the failure rate it used to since MS changed the MoBo and went to the Jasper chipset. So its not as common as it used to be.

Also, I know you said your son didn't seem to care about online play. I didn't either, but, it is fun as hell!! That being said, the 360 online play is better hands down.

With the 360, you can also download your games and play them on the hard drive. It makes for a quieter system, faster bootup, and saves wear and tear on the DVD drive. If you are going for the 360, spend a little more and get the bigger drive. -Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I am just going by what ALL the critics and reviewers post online regarding the 2 consoles. The problem I read.. regarding the PS3 isn't the power of its processors (which are far superior to the XBox 360's) but rather how they are used. Also... besides being a third of the price... the 360 has a much larger game selection and much better online gaming. These aren't my opinions.. these are reviews from all the top gaming magazines.
              I can paste review after review stating what I mentioned but in the end its whatever blows your skirt up.
              Bottom line Bill, if you want to play old PS2 games, go over to Gamestop and pick up an old refurb'd PS2 for $99.00 and be done with it.
              I read multiple reviews that X-Box 360 supports terrorism but I won't post the sources either.

This is all out dated crap for the most part. The PS3 outperforms the X-Box in every way. I've played Fallout 3 on my PS3 and on my buddied X-Box 360, the PS3 just kills the X-Box.

Every game that comes out for the X-Box comes out for the PS3, minus about 15 exclusive games that PS3 gets and 15 exclusive games that XBox gets.

I think your reviews are dated a few years back.

But I agree with the poster above.

Comment

I love the PS3. I really don't like the XBOX controller - Sony nailed the controller with the PS1 and stuck with it - if it ain't broke, yadda yadda.

I don't have an HDTV, and the graphics are still awesome on a regular TV.

With some exception, most games come out for both platforms.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Get a newer 360, keep the PS2 for playing PS2 games.

the older x360's had issues but MS replaced my sons twice. They didnt repair it, they replaced it and it was usually under a week.

I don't play games but when the kids use the xBox 360 in the family room on the HD set...man that has some great graphics
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                    Get a newer 360, keep the PS2 for playing PS2 games.
                    I don't play games but when the kids use the xBox 360 in the family room on the HD set...man that has some great graphics
                    On a HD TV the 360, P3 and the Wii are stunning.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

One important note about Dead Rising - you NEED an HDTV for it because the text on the screen for most of the missions is unreadable on ol tvs. Capcom knows it and will never fix it. They've already said so.

Aside from that, the 360 is going to be your best bet. PS3 developers are still learning how to truly harness the PS3's power, so while it may be technologically better than the 360, no one is putting that technology to its best use, they're just making minor graphic enhancements.

BlueRay shmooray - if you want movies that look as real as real life go outside

You won't need the 120Gig hard drive for the 360 (it comes with a 20 Gig), unless he wants to install every game to it. You still need the game disc in the tray, though, but games do run more smoothly. It takes maybe 20 minutes to install a game to the hard drive, so he can install the one he wants to play and then delete it to install another and it won't kill him to wait. He can take out the trash while he waits.

But if the PS3 will not play PS2 games, now I know I'm definitely not wasting the money on one.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm about your kids age, Bill, if not a little older. The xbox 360's strongest point is it's wide archive of games and it's online aspects (which really makes the 360 awesome), and the PS3 had the blu ray bullshit, with a few good titles.

I personally would recommend a 360, there's way more games, way more exclusives, and most of the PS3 games will be coming to the 360 anyways. It's a cheaper console , and it's a better bang for the buck.
                        Originally posted by horns666
                        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          One important note about Dead Rising - you NEED an HDTV for it because the text on the screen for most of the missions is unreadable on ol tvs. Capcom knows it and will never fix it. They've already said so.
                          I find that if it's a decent SD screen you can read it just fine but for older TV's (80's or early 90's) it may get too grainy to read. I can read it all just fine on our 27 inch TV downstairs but it's only about 3-4 years old.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Gamestop has refurbed 360s for $149. I dont think they come with a harddrive but maybe a game. Might be worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                              Gamestop has refurbed 360s for $149. I dont think they come with a harddrive but maybe a game. Might be worth a look.
                              I'd still go with a new one. They've fixed up the guts of the system a lot since it came out and the hardware failure seems to be going down a lot lately. If you buy a used one you run the risk of getting one with old hardware that will break much faster.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                              X