Contradicting censorship on MTV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contradicting censorship on MTV.

It's kinda funny how different meanings of one word can have people's underpants in a knot.

Take for example the F word. Here on MTV Holland we mostly get to see the programs uncensored, we get the unbleeped versions directly from the good Ol' US of A. So basically anything goes. So when they were broadcasting the "Jackass, where are they now?" special we got Johnny Knoxville and his dimwitted crew saying things like "Oh yeah that was fucked up" but while using "Fuck" in that context was fine to them, as soon at that same word stood for a sexual action it was bleeped out. Okay what's the deal here? Why can they say "That was fucked up" but not "I got Fucked by these hot chicks."

And another thing, in Beavis and Butt-Head episodes they talk freely about family members that get all drunk, but when Johnny Knoxville says "I've been keeping it real, real DRUNK!" they bleep the word "Drunk" away. What's the deal, why can Helen Morgendorffer say "Jake, you're DRUNK!" in the Daria episode "The Daria Hunter" and why can't Johnny Knoxville say the same thing about himself?

Another strange thing, in series like "Jackass" and "The Osbournes" there's a lot of profanity and people saying discriptive stuff like "Dick" and "Cock" but as soon as they use descriptive names for the female gender it's bleeped out. No "Pussy", "Twat" or "Cunt"

American censorship never fails to baffle me.

That's not American censorship dude. That's Dutch censorship. The word "drunk" would never be censored in the US. Dick & cock (pertaining to male gentialia), twat, cunt, fuck, pussy (pertaining to female genitalia), shit, asshole, and probably some more that I have forgotten are always censored on regular TV.

There are some words like piss, bitch & goddamn that are also censored on the more conservative channels.

Then you've got cable channels like HBO where they don't censor anything.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The problem is that censorship has replaced restraint and common sense. Why the fuck would some twat have to say shit on the air anyway? :ROTF:
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
        the problem is that censorship has replaced restraint and common sense. Why the fuck would some twat have to say shit on the air anyway?
        +1 :d
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

What really really really fucks me off is when things are pixellated out. T-shirt slogans, drinks cans, hand gestures.

For fuck's sake, if things are that offensive, why bother showing the program at all? It doesn't take much imagination to work out that Mr X is sticking his middle finger up at the camera, so fucking what? If it is in the middle of Songs of Praise, fair enough, Granny Smith might freak if she sees such behaviour, but not anyone tuning into "World's Most Angry Drunks", I think they are going to be able to handle it.

On holiday I was watching some kind of music video channel and they were even printing up the lyrics to songs on the bottom of the screen and blanking words out. Terrible, subversive words like "drug dealer". Lord preserve us!

I think I might write to some of these TV channels and thank them for protecting me from cans of drink that obviously are called "Cunt Buster", it must be. No-one with an ounce of common sense would pixellate the name of an ordinary beer, would they? It actually concentrates my mind on what is being blurred, I lose interest in the program itself. I just have to work out what is soooooo terrible that it must be kept from view.

Japanese censorship is bizarre too. Fancy showing a woman crapping in a man's mouth, but pixellating her pussy. What the fuck is all that about???
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

censorship is fucking lame
            I loved European TV.. you could see tits and pussy all the time on national tv channels and commercials... and of course hear every profanity in the book.. while it still is like that in a lot of places... some countries have started to censor shit recently. I hate that a bunch of conservative crybabies are starting to get their way. I don't want European TV to be like american regular tv channels who cut everything out. I don't want the government to take freedom away from media.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

:ROTF:

Comment

I think the way MTV censors music is more troubling. What is so bad about music that the Music TeleVision channel refuses to play any?
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Generally its competitors to the main advertisers that become blurred out on shirts and beer labels etc. As for words its stupid. Fucking stupid.

Comment

this thread has me hankering for a can of Cunt Buster
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I would think it is on sale in Australia. You'll find it in the aisle marked "Fancy supping some piss, mate?"
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                        I would think it is on sale in Australia. You'll find it in the aisle marked "Fancy supping some piss, mate?"

LMFAO :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                          so ut's a New Zulland import thin?

They would have you believe the initials of the local version (VB) stand for Victoria Bitter - now we now better and possible why they changed the label (see image right)

Hail yesterday

Comment

So what does VB really stand for?

We have a beer called OV, or Old Vienna, but we all call it Old Vagina.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It stands for Very Bogan, but fuck it I like it

Theres MB or melbourne bitter too, which are my initials! Apparently I taste like shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X