how about something new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how about something new?

endrik made a post a while back about the effect that music has on you. Martinbarre made a post about the effect certain types of music had on him. When I start to get bad vibes from what ever, I can hang up the jacksons and pick up a couple of acoustic electrics I have tune to an open G and this shit will cure what ails you.
    "clicky"
    "clicky"
    &... "clicky"
    Does anybody else ever go here?

now that's my language
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

When I was living with a great deal of stress and turmoil, the times that were hard for me were the times that I would plug in and crank it. Some how a Marshall on 10 was better than any therapist back then. It's cheesy to say but music is one of the things that saved my life, or at least helped me maintain sanity for a time
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by ~K~ View Post
        When I was living with a great deal of stress and turmoil, the times that were hard for me were the times that I would plug in and crank it. Some how a Marshall on 10 was better than any therapist back then. It's cheesy to say but music is one of the things that saved my life, or at least helped me maintain sanity for a time
        you are absolutely right K, I think it's important for everyone to do something creative... playing music, painting, acting, doing flower compositions or whatever... people are so stressed out that they need something which could help them to get all the crap out of their system
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I honestly would go stark raving mad without music. Whether it's coming from the CD changer, my arthritic hands, or me humming a tune while the pooch pinches one off. Music has been a part of my life for 50 years. Gospel, country and western, bluegrass, pop (thank God for The Beatles), every form of rock, and even a little bit of metal thrown into the mix.

I don't play near as much as I used to, but you won't find anyone that supports "live" music more than me. The local musicians are my family, my kids. SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
          "POOP"

Comment

I think one of the funnier things is that as musicians and music junkies, we never get to listen to music in the average innocent way. We listen to all the layers, changes, different melodies in the songs, the tempo changes and dynamics etc .. .

To us is just isn't "A song"
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I think one of the funnier things is that as musicians and music junkies, we never get to listen to music in the average innocent way. We listen to all the layers, changes, different melodies in the songs, the tempo changes and dynamics etc .. .

Exactly! Sometimes I feel sad that I can't listen to music in a primordial, visceral way anymore. Yet, at other times, I'm elated at the geniusly constructed and breathtakingly beautiful music I'm listening to, which normal folks sadly wouldn't grasp.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I agree 100%. People don't grasp how I listen to music and most think I'm nuts when I say things about certain parts that they can't hear because they don't know what to look for.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Phill_up,

Oh yeah, I use music as a means of release or escape, some bent notes can be so (don't know the right word here), you bend it up 1 or 2 whole steps and lay your best vibrato on it - I hope you know what I'm talking about here !

But if you meant old blues, not so much for me. I can appreciate it and all, but after a hard day I'm not looking for SRV albums, or robert johnson or blind muddy fishguts !!!
                  Cheers
                  Jay
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

You guys might laugh, but I've recently figuratively and quite literally fallen in love with Katie Melua and her music.... What a beautiful, beautiful woman, in all aspects of humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                      Martinbarre made a post about the effect certain types of music had on him.
                      I did? I need to stop coming in here after a few beers so I can remember stuff.

I liked the second vid you posted a lot.

One thing I find really odd at times, is when I hear a band for the first time and I feel sure like I KNOW this band very well. I had it when I first heard Motorhead aged about 14- I'd never listened to them before, none of my family liked them, they wouldn't have ever been on TV or radio other than "Ace of Spades", but I had an overwhelming sense of familiarity with all the songs.

I had a similar thing with Jethro Tull. For some reason when I listen to them it reminds me very vividly of time I spent with my grandma when I was very small, like 3 or 4 years old. Tull music just really seems to evoke memories of that time, as if someone in the house had played it a lot and I picked up on it. But I know no one in my family ever listened to Tull.

It's really odd.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

GOR; I'm not laughing dude
                        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                          GOR; I'm not laughing dude

Comment

It's cheesy to say but music is one of the things that saved my life, or at least helped me maintain sanity for a time
                            Shame on you for thinking it's "cheesy".

The guitar and good music in general I couldn't imagine my life without them.
                            I get lost in my playing (whether serious attempts at writing to cover tunes to just noodling around) my mind relaxes and drifts away, therapeutic indeed and I love what the guitar has done for me. I know for a fact I would've lost a few jobs throughout the years (gone postal on a few co-workers) if I didn't come home and play, it cleared my mind and rid the frustration.
                            The guitar helped me cope and I don't feel corny, cheesy, weird, ashamed about it in any respect and could careless if anybody thought less of me.

Cmon, K say it...
                            My name is K and I love guitar
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                              Shame on you for thinking it's "cheesy".

The guitar and good music in general I couldn't imagine my life without them.
                              I get lost in my playing (whether serious attempts at writing to cover tunes to just noodling around) my mind relaxes and drifts away, therapeutic indeed and I love what the guitar has done for me. I know for a fact I would've lost a few jobs throughout the years (gone postal on a few co-workers) if I didn't come home and play, it cleared my mind and rid the frustration.
                              The guitar helped me cope and I don't feel corny, cheesy, weird, ashamed about it in any respect and could careless if anybody thought less of me.

Cmon, K say it...
                              My name is K and I love guitar
                              I agree on the therapeutic. sometimes I even think of it as a drug. There are times that I just have to have a few Jackson "tokes" at odd times and when I'm done my girlfriend asks me if I feel better or did I get it out of my system.

Comment

Working...
                              X