No announcement yet.

Dropping internet connection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS: Doesn't seem to matter what browser he's using... Or if a browser is on at all. The only thing that is on all the time is his AOl IM.

Again, it works fine at my house... I'm posting on it now haha...

Comment

Could be a registry/driver issue or something. With things like this, aslong as your pc was working fine there, I'd reformat to a fresh windows install.

Comment

Pretty funny... I was thinking I was going to do that first on my way home. But, then when it worked here, I wasnt sure if it would fix it. It's been up two years, so, could use a format/install anyways.

Still wonder tho...

Comment

Turn off the AOL IM and see if it works.

If the IM app pings the server to keep the connection alive (which it shouldn't have to on cable), the server's probably kicking him for spamming the server.
          Last edited by Newc; 01-02-2009, 05:02 AM.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Turn off the AOL IM and see if it works.

If the IM app pings the server to keep the connection alive (which it shouldn't have to on cable), the server's probably kicking him for spamming the server.
            Yep, that's the next thing I would do.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Actually that woulda been my first move

AOL=EVIL.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you're using USB to connect the modem to the PC, then the network card is not involved. I'd recommend using an ethernet port instead.

About the dropping connection, I had this problem too and it turned out that I had too many splitters in the cable before the modem. One at the house, one at the TV, and another one before the modem so I could hook up my TV tuner card.

edit: read that your PC worked fine, so it's nto the connection. I'd unplug the modem from the PC, go into Device Manager and remove any drivers for the modem, reboot, and plug in the modem again. Something may have gone awry with the drivers. But again, using the ethernet connection will solve this too.
                Last edited by Spivonious; 01-02-2009, 07:59 AM.
                Scott

Comment

Sorry, I mis-wrote that, must have beeen tired. Not using USB connection for modem, we're using the ethernet connect like we should be. Duh...

But yes, we've tried running without the AOL IM running in his. Still does the disconnects.

His system has been up all night at my house here running with AOL IM on, with no disconnect issues. And, my system has been at house all night running AOL IM with no disconnect issues either...

Weird. Was fine till 3 days ago. HE has done nothing. No installs of anything or updates of anything except NOD32.

Format the system and try again?

Comment

I'd have him call his ISP to make sure they can see the modem. That's how I figured out why mine was dropping the connection. They had me move it in front of all the splitters and it connected right away and the lady could see it. Back in it's original spot and it disappeared from her list.

It definitely does not sound like a Windows issue, especially if nothing was upgraded or installed recently.
                    Scott

Comment

ISp can't see modem when I called. But again, my PC works there, (and his works fine here) haha... There is only one splitter between the modem and outside too. Very clean setup with quad shield coax cabling ran everywhere.

Just sorta irritatating as it has worked fine for years there.

I'm re-installing an SP3 version of windows Xp today and go from there I guess.

Comment

Don't you just fuggin' hate computers sometimes?

It does sound like a software problem, but man does it suck you have to resort to a full OS reinstall. I can't think of anything else you can try though.

Comment

I'd try a repair before a complete reinstall. Boot to the XP CD, and act like you're going to reinstall. When it finds an existing installation it will prompt you to repair it.

It's worth a shot since if it works you don't have to reinstall any programs.
                          Scott

Comment

I would try removing the network driver in device manager and then re-install it. Also find out if he is overclocking at all. The first device to fail in a system that is overclocked too far is the ethernet and sound.

Matt

Comment

Well, for now, I just formatted and installed on a spare drive I had, leaving his intact. Haven't gotten over there yet to see if that helps. Works fine here, like it worked fine here before the format haha...

No overclocking. He's not that enthusiastic, haha... Just wants his IM, myspace and his Cakewalk.

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciation. I still have his old OS intact, I will play around with it to see if I ever find the actual issue, if it's OS/Driver related.

Comment

Working...
                              X