No announcement yet.

Should I settle? Band related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is simple - this will not improve with time. just say buh-bye.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Seems like I pretty much agree with the consensus here (wow! That's new) If you don't click now, you not going to later, and the harder you try to like the guy, the more you'll hate him later on. Just cut him loose. Don't drag him along because he's willing (He's obviously not as willing as he needs to be or he'd have at least learned the songs for audition) You need Mr Right, not Mr Right now. For the sake of everybody involved (including him) move on.

I've tried putting my own thing together. In fact I'm still looking around. But I made up my mind a long time ago, I'm through settling for someone just because they are there, and I'm sick of waiting for other people to get where they need to be. Fortunately, I also run sound for other bands on the side, and one of them has pretty much adopted me as a band member and I'm pretty much playing or singing or both on about 80% of their set list. It's southern rock, which I enjoy playing, but it's not what I want to do on my own and they know it, so it's pretty clear with both parties that I'm looking to get into something that's more my speed. But until then, I at least get my playing out live fix.
      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

A couple of things... First off, I want to make it clear that in no way do I think I'm a great player/song writer. I think I'm adequate. A big thing for me is drive... I'm always trying to improve myself, whether it is technical stuff, songwriting, tone, etc. Also, I know from playing sports most of my life that heart and passion will beat talent and laziness everytime. None of the guys that have auditioned come across as people that play their instruments outside of what they would do at band practice. Also, image isn't everything to me. I would take someone that doesn't have the image if they are dedicated, creative, and has some chops.

Here's the thing... My drummer is building a studio in his basement. He is always coming up with suggestions and trying to new drum parts to existing stuff. He pushes himself to play more technical beats/fills. Though he's not Mike Portnoy, he's got it... it clicks. The singer we found showed up the first time not only with lyrics to one of the songs we told him to learn and arrangement suggestions that were great, but also lyrics/melodies to two other songs he had written, organized in a folder! Not to mention the guy drives 45 minutes one way to practice. I guess I'm trying to find a bassist with the same qualities. Why put up with someone that is going to slow down the machine?

I guess I posted this topic to get some reassurance that I wasn't just being an ass I'm glad to see you guys agree. The other guys in the band do to an extent, but they are a little more easy going about it and want to give this guy another chance.

Comment

nah steve...your an ass but ya still need to find a good bass player...lol

just kinddin ya bro...
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Could be like those kids in Europe and just stab him a few times for playing badly...

Comment

You need this guy.
              Ryan Martinie

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                Could be like those kids in Europe and just stab him a few times for playing badly...
                :ROTF:

If only a good shanking could solve all problems...
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Good post here! I agree with most of what has been said here.

I'm 39, been back into that band thing for the last 8 to 9 years. I've been with my actual band for about the last 3 years but I'm at a turning point right now and wonder if I should not move to something. It doesn't click anymore, I'm not challenged musicaly and I want to compose the music. Right now, our singer does everything and doesn't accept "outside" ideas.

I'm not a super player, let's say I'm average but recently, I decided to jam with some younger guys who could play and damn, I had a blast. They are opened to try working on some original stuff and they liked the riffs I was coming with.

Now, I just have to take a decision if I leave my actual band to start something new. I find it not easy after 3 years. Not that these guys are my real big friends but we've became buddies over those past 3 years.
                  Last edited by BenoA; 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM. Reason: typos
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                  X