Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chevy Equinox or Mitsubishi Endeavor owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Chevy Equinox or Mitsubishi Endeavor owners?

My 2001 Kia Sportage, veteran of some brutal Minnesota winters, hauler of guitar rigs and drum kits, has one foot in the grave. I had hoped to make it my winter/band vehicle and get something else for the daily commute, but I can't really justify repairing it in hopes of a couple more years or recouping some insulting resale value when the dealerships are dropping prices like mad in this economy. I've had my seven good years with it, and already drove the new (and vastly improved) 2008 version, which has a lot of musician-friendly features and significant upgrades. The only other vehicles in the ~$17k price range (after incentives) that I'm considering are the Chevy Equinox and Mitsubishi Endeavor, and I don't know anyone that owns either. I've read some negative reviews about the Equinox's handling, and the back seats don't fold flush with the rear cargo area, so it has that going against it. The Endeavor supposedly handles quite nice, has good acceleration, and the seats do fold flat.

I'm inclined to stick with Kia, as it meets most of my requirements *and* the original dealer is open to taking mine on trade despite its repair needs. I have neither the driveway space nor the time nor the desire to try selling a fixer-upper myself. However, my wife has driven an Equinox and liked it, and I wanted to consider one other vehicle as the third party option, hence the Endeavor. None of the bigger SUVs or pickups on the market are worth the money for what I need, and most of the other so-called crossovers look like mutated station wagons. We already have an HHR, so I want something a little closer to truck territory.

Anyone?
    sigpic

Don't have too much to tell you as I went the mini van route.
    Yeah, I know, but this thing kicks ass.
    07 Honda Odyssey. Yes, I got it loaded. (almost $40k though)
    Back seats go flush into the floor and the centers come right out.
    Holds two full stacks plus 8 guitar cases and the associated gear that goes with them with room to spare.

I have my 02 Toyota Highlander for the light duty gigs. (high $20k range)
    Over 75k miles on it and it still runs like a champ.

I did test drive the Equinox (06 or 07) when I was searching, but didn't like the cramped space and poor handling.
    The Mitisubishis were too ugly.

And yes... CUV is the new word for station wagon.
    -Rick

Comment

All new chevys are really nice cars.
      My mom just picked up one of those little HHR things and it was like 15 grand and has so many nice opitions.
      But this is coming from a huge chevy guy/mechanic. Drive them all and see what you like the best. But buying American is welll...American.

Comment

Well, the Endeavor is made in Illinois. The new Sportage is probably still built in Korea, but they'll be built in Alabama (I think) in the next year or two. As long as it's not built in China - and yes, Chinese cars are headed to America - I tend to keep an open mind.

The Equinox dropped a couple notches in my estimation, due to the back seats not folding flat and the wheel wells protruding pretty far into the cargo area. I want to fit two 4x12 cabs, rack cases and guitars or a full drum kit with minimal hassle, which wouldn't be an option. I'm checking out the Endeavor on Saturday, as one of the local Kia dealerships also sells Mitsubishi. If they aren't open to a trade, I'll go back to the original dealer where I bought my 2001.
        sigpic

Comment

We looked at an Outlander and an Endeavor... Outland blows it away. Better full economy, better drivetrain, does not need premium fuel, much nicer interior. You aren't confusing the Outlander for the Endeavor are you? The Outlander is the Equinox size... the Endeavor is the size of a TrailBlazer. We looked at a Pontiac Torrent/Suzuki XL-7 (same vehicles as the Equinox, only difference being the XL-7 is longer and has a MIJ Suzuki engine). Outlander hands down is the better car. Amazing engine and transmission, much better made interior, and more comfortable seats. That said, in your price range you would be looking at a 4 cylinder and CVT transmission. The 4 cylinder is barely enough for that car, and with all that stuff in it, I would be a bit concerned. Mitsubishi Outlanders are 100% MIJ too and have 10 year/100k Drivetrain warranties (we paid $1400 extra and got a 10year/100k bumper to bumper warranty when it was bought). The base one though is a little boring, but I bet you could get an 07 XLS like ours for around $17k with everything on it (leather, heated seats, 650w Rockford Fosgate sound system, 6 speed Sportronic trans, etc).

If it being new is not an option, I'm sure you could pick up a used Chevy Trail Blazer, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, or Chevy Tahoe that is a couple years old fairly reasonably. Then you also have the option of a used Nissan Pathfinder, but beware that when we looked at one, we warned by the dealer (like the Endeavor) that it is reccommended it take premium fuel.

Comment

Nope, definitely not confusing the Outlander and Endeavor. For whatever reason, the Outlander prices for the 4WD version are not much below MSRP, while the Endeavor 4WD version is under $18k; they still have a couple of 2007s for under $17k. A 4WD Outlander is around $28k new, and there aren't (m)any vehicles that I would spend that much on even if I had money to burn.

I've been watching the auto industry with morbid curiosity for the past couple of years, and the designs have become so cookie-cutter that it's difficult to even be enthusiastic about buying a car right now, whether or not I have an immediate need. There are some cars that are of interest to me, but aren't practical for my needs. I was hoping to buy a Volvo S40, but it won't happen this time around.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X