Brief Question for Admin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief Question for Admin

Hi admin type people. I have a quick question for you. The chat that is used on this site is very good, but doesn't appear to work on my own forum site. Could you suggest an alternative please? Many thanks, and I'd just like to say that I'm loving this site. My other half refers to it as my "guitar pron" lmao
    Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

I'm not an admin, but I know Flashchat, while a nice, feature ladden chat, takes time to set up and get working properly. It also demands a fair amount of server ability when it comes to handling traffic or it will lag/be unusable. Another site I was a member of went through these issues. My advice is to set up an IRC server on some generic host, and then get a Java client to link to it for those that don't have an IRC program on their PCs. IRCs are generally more reliable due to the lower amount of data they send/receive (especially when hosted on someone else's server, which is what a lot of people do) and because of this, have zero lag. You don't have many of the complex features, and memorising the commands can be a pain in the ass, but it is very low hassle to operate.

Comment

I have a headache suggestion, use the "SKAT" option instead, as in get out of town as soon as possible. I like posting but that Chat thing can suck you in and you'll never play guitar again, you may even miss the world that is going on around you.
      Get outside i say. Welcome to the board. I'm a headache, you'll find that out soon.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Thanks CarvelRocker and atomic charvel guy for your advice. I spent till 4 am trying to get the stupid Flashchat working and linked to my board, and what happened? It totally screwed my board and MySQL Database!! So I hat the fun of rebuilding my site (thank god for backups!!)

I use a free hosting site, and it seems that the servers they use are no way near man enough for the job, so I've given up on the idea for now until I learn more about IRC chat (used it for a while about 4 years ago so a little rusty), and learn more about website building (I've only just started)

Your advice was very gratefully received, so thanks to you both, and thanks for the welcome. This site has everything I need
        Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

I'd avoid IRC. It's a viral playground these days. Don't be surprised if you end up with a self-replicating program in a Temp folder from using IRC.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the tip Newc. Appreciated. I'll give the whole chat thing some more thought methinks lol

Comment

Probably a good idea when you want to ask the admins something, to PM them and ask instead of posting a thread. They don't check every thread but they check their PMs. They are all listed on the JCF homepage. Welcome to the board!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X