Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are people's fave guitar players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's me:

Marty Friedman
    Dimebag
    Steve Vai
    Jeff Loomis
    James Murphy
    Chuck Schuldiner
    John Petrucci (before 1994, most of his stuff nowadays sounds like warm up exercises)
    Satch
    Micheal Schenker
    The Edge
    Paul Gilbert
    Eric Johnson
    Patrick Rondat
    Steve Wilson
    Mark Tremonti
    Slash
    Andy LaRocque
    Alex Skolnick
    Criss Oliva
    Frank Zappa
    Last edited by levantin; 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

This is a really good question, I tend to like all guitar players as long as it sounds good and makes sense. I've seen a lot of the greats in jazz, blues and rock because I was fortunate enough to grow up in a town rich in music. There is something really cool about a good player who is also the frontman in a band, a person who is the whole package. There are lots of musicians out there that handle the vocals, the leads, the onstage banter, the arranging and song writing. Countless names come to mind and I know there are many I am not even aware of. Hendrix, Prince, Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray fit that bill.

Comment

Uli Jon Roth is my favorite.

Comment

Grant Estes
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
            Grant Estes
            Wow, that actually threw me off. I had to youtube it. I always connected Rocky George to ST.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Randy Rhoads and Yngwie Malmsteen are my biggest influences.

After that I like a lot of players but nothing did more for me as a player than those two cats...(other than classical music)
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Chris Holmes
                Blackie Lawless
                Dave Murray
                Adrian Smith
                Ihsahn
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

-Mustaine, Hetfield, Dime, Scott Ian, and Mark Morton
                  -Eric Johnson, (old) Satriani and Vai, Chris Poland (solo & early Megadeth)
                  -Billy Gibbons, Steve Miller, the guys from Steely Dan and the Doobies
                  Of course, I've said "oh, shit yeah" while reading quite a few of the names listed in this thread.

Comment

Hmmm. My earliest influences for guitar would be probably Angus Young and Brian May. This would be back in 1979 or so. My older brother had a bunch of Beatles, Frank Zappa, and Jimi Hendrix albums so I was probably subconciously influenced by them as well because I listened to them from time to time (except the Beatles White album which I pretty much wore out, but haven't listened to in over 20 years).

Then when I started getting into the heavier stuff and discovered Sabbath right about the time Ozzy got sacked. So then it was Iommi. Then it branched out into related artists. Became a massive fan of Randy with Ozzy. Never liked VH back then because I thought Eddie dissed Randy. I bought my RR1T this year as a present to myself because of Randy. Then I dug Vivian Campbell with Dio, which got me into Gary Moore and Tygers of Pan-Tang.

Now I'm getting lazy so I'll just dump out some artist/band names with comments when appropriate...

Loved Maiden
                    Dave Chastain
                    Metallica (was listening to their demo when Mustaine was still in/being booted from the band)
                    Loudness (Akira's solo album Tusk of the Jaguar was so wierd and AWESOME)
                    ***Yngwie (Started listening to him when a friend in the music biz got ahold of his demo that he had sent Mike Varney. I then followed him all the way through Steeler and Alcatraz and his solo career. Stopped listening to his new stuff after Live in Leningrad. You could tell he was dumbing himself down to try and sell albums and his playing was starting to get repetetive. Everything up to Marching Out was fresh and kicked ass though. He had a lot more fire back then.)
                    Fast Eddie Clark/Fastway
                    Tony Macalpine
                    Racer X
                    Vinnie Moore (A bit, he was kind of like Yngwie Light to me.)
                    Dweezil Zappa
                    John Sykes (More for his work with Tygers than Whitesnake, but his work there was top notch too.)

I can name off lots more too but the top three for me are Randy, Yngwie, and Gary Moore. I don't sound or play like any of them though. I sound like me. (and its bad! ) I realized early how much work it would be to be able to play like any one of these guys, and whenever I wish for something I wish I could play the music I hear in my head rather than what my hands can make. That would be worth more to me than a 500 billion $ lottery win.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Michael Schenker
                      Uli Roth
                      Robin Crosby
                      George Lynch
                      Dave Meniketti
                      Jabs

Comment

Hmm...

Jeff Loomis - Biggest influence to my guitar playing. Currently doing a 3 string sweep exercise he gave for some magazine.
                        Vinnie Moore - I play lots of his songs. They're not that hard and they flow incredibly well.
                        Jari Maenpaa - His works got me into more extreme metal.
                        Antti and Pekka Kokko - Kalmah was my first death metal band.
                        Marty and Jason (Got me into shred)
                        Petri Lindroos - I like his work in Norther and Ensiferum.
                        Steve Harris - Biggest influence on my bass playing.
                        Adrian Smith and Dave Murray - Gotta love Maiden.
                        Tor Orsby (Spelling?) Dude's great in Conception and other bands.
                        Thomas Youngblood - I like his style.
                        K.K. and Glenn from JP - I love that band. Got the whole discography.
                        Ritchie Blackmore - Just discovered Rainbow. That's good stuff.
                        PG - He wrote Scarified. He is God.
                        Dudes from Quo Vadis - I like their style too.
                        Shawn Lane - Gray Pianos Flying... Oh yeah
                        Alex Skolnick - Old school Testament is great.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

EVH
                          Michael Schenker
                          George Lynch
                          Ty Tabor
                          Alex Lifeson
                          Tony MacAlpine
                          Uli Roth(scorpions era)
                          Yngwie
                          Tipton/Downing
                          Murray/Smith
                          James Hetfield
                          Eric Peterson
                          Dave Mustaine
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

All the guys everyone already posted...+ Hank Sherman in case anyone forgot.
                            Last edited by Trem; 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Here's my select list...

Duane Roland
                              Rickey Medlocke
                              Ted Nugent
                              Steve Gaines
                              Duane Allman
                              Billy Gibbons
                              Steve Morse
                              Eric Johnson
                              Tom Scholtz
                              Gary Rossington