Shaved my head for a good cause!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaved my head for a good cause!

So last year, my brothers 16 year old son was diagnosed with melanoma. Skin cancer, the worst kind of it. The doctor gave him 6 months to live. We were all devastated to say the least. My brother had just been reconnecting with him (long story, but basically a teenage pregnancy thing), and life was going pretty good. My nephew (Damon) was a star quarterback on his high school football team, had a great girlfriend, decent grades and a good part time job. Then this.

Damon and his mom went for a second opinion. The other doctor said he woulkd like to try a pretty intense treatment routine. He's been on it for a few weeks now, and was doing okay, but his white cell count dropped a bit, so it was stopped to let his body heal up a bit.

A big fundraiser was held at his school yesterday and we raised over $10,000 to help him and his mom out and to give to cancer research. It was a massive rally in the school gym and about 30 of us, including my brother and I, more than a dozen of his teachers and some friends and others shaved our heads to show support in the fight against cancer.

I'd never been part of an event like this before and I was blown away. Over $10,000? :o Un-fucking-believeable. The GM of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL team) and some other local celebs were there and all the local media. I was overwhelmed with the support that people showed for this great kid who doesn't deserve to be sick like this. I just wanted to share some pics of the event with you folks.

Before the shaving...Damon is in the middle with the pink football (pink is the colour used to symbolize the fight against cancer here in North America)

Getting set up. The tall guy is Lyle Bauer, the GM of the Bombers and a cancer survivor. We had reached $8200 in donations and he stepped up and topped it off to $10,000 out of his own pocket!

Some media and the kids at his school.

M.C. Laurie Mustard (local celeb), addressing the crowd and telling everyone how much was raised. The shot is from behind coz was about to get my hair buzzed!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

My brother, Damon's dad, before getting his head shaved. He had that long hair for years.

Damon cuting Don's ponytail

The ponytail was donated to make a wig for someone who lost their hair to cancer treatment.

Damon shaves Don's head. He had a blast doing it too!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

The cute hairdresser takes over

He looks 10 years younger!

Me b4

...and after.

Like I said, it was an incredible experience to even be a small participant in such an event. Put my pathetic life in perspective, that's for sure.

So, what do you all think of the new hairdo? I'm now going ot leave it and not cut it for an entire year. We'll see how long it gets.
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

That's really cool, but it's missing one thing. Oh yeah, your head.
        Oops posted too soon
        :P
        Gear:
        Jackson Dinky Rev. Pro
        Jackson Kelly (KE3?), Lawrence equipped
        Ibanez RG320
        Ensanada Acoustic
        Peavey Bandit 112
        Soon to Be:
        Pedals!

Comment

Awesome stuff, nice to see you back as well. I hope your nephew will get better, mojo sent!
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
            Awesome stuff, nice to see you back as well. I hope your nephew will get better, mojo sent!
            Thanks! He was on a regimen of interferon, which is basically a chemical soup you get injected with. He was to take it 5 days a week for 5 weeks, but his WBC and his liver were acting up, so it was stopped for 2 weeks. He's going for some blood work today and may resume the treatment tomorrow. His spirits are high, which is the main thing. He's not going down without a fight.
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Wow, Major Mojo sent to Damon. What a great event for a great kid and cause. Damn, your bro does look younger. He lost the viking beard too!

Being bald ain't so bad..but you really feel it in the winter.

Hey, is that an Arsis shirt you're wearing?
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Arsis is correct!
                THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Good stuff...

Comment

What a great turnout.......wishing you guys the best.
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                      Arsis is correct!
                      My kid's favorite metal band lately. That lil' fucker atually learned some of that shit on his own. When we were kids, we were trying to play War Pigs and failing..WTF??!!

Ironically, he wanted me to shave his head today. He likes it short all around with the #2 gaurd. I do his twice a month. I told him about this thread. So he came down to take a look. He also sends Damon his very best. He plays CYO Basketball. Just like Arsis..he didn't learn that stuff from me..

He's in our thouhgts!!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I wouldn't shave my head. I would just find a metal poser and make him shave his, by paying him
                        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Holy! He looks more than 10 years younger.

What school is that? I have some high school age cousins in Winnipeg.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

That's awesome!!! I just sent in my sponsor donation to St. Baldricks...It's a fundraising thing for childrens cancer. I sponsor my buddy every year.

A childhood cancer charity funding the most promising research to find cures for kids with cancer.
                            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                              That's awesome!!! I just sent in my sponsor donation to St. Baldricks...It's a fundraising thing for childrens cancer. I sponsor my buddy every year.

http://www.stbaldricks.org/

I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                              X