Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay this must be the freakiest freshwater fish ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay this must be the freakiest freshwater fish ever.

I just saw a thing on animal planet about these and I figure I show it to you guys too.

This is a baby Aligator Gar, a member of the pike family, a predatory fish. It looks pretty cute when still small...

But don't let that fool you because these fuckers grow HUGE.

And as for why they are called "Aligator Gar", you only have to look at their mouths.

Forget about Jaws, these guys are way scarier and they live in rivers.

Used to see them in the Bayous when I lived in Louisiana. Saw a dead one floating once that looked like a gator had taken a nice big chunk out of.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yup. Saw a few of those myself when tubing (floating in an inner tube) in Louisiana. Definitely time to hit the beach when those things are spotted - or at least stop acting like a fish
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Holy crap!
        I'm familiar with gars, but I never knew they got that big. We got big fish in our rivers up here, but they're less menacing looking. The Fraser River Sturgeon:

Comment

We have them in the rivers here, but I don't think they get quite as big as they do further South. I've seen dead ones about 6 or 7 feet long washed ashore, and live ones in the 4 to 5 foot range. They look scary, but they won't hurt you. We used to see them all the time when we'd go down the rapids in inner tubes.

Comment

Fucking hell, "we're gonna need a bigger boat".

And here's me thinking this thread was going to be one about a little fish that swims up into your pud.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
              Fucking hell, "we're gonna need a bigger boat".

And here's me thinking this thread was going to be one about a little fish that swims up into your pud.
              That's exactly what I was expecting, too.

Comment

That thing's head looks like something out of the dinosaur books I had as a kid.

Comment

Holy shnikes that thing is big. Looks like they had to use some high caliber fishing tackle to take that thing out, too.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

We've got them all over the Ozarks, lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock and some MONSTERS at Lake Norfork in Arkansas.

I've never caught one, but they say you can catch them with snagged, pulled rope, they get the rope caught in their teeth and it's on, hang on for a ride!
                    Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by GinSonic View Post
                      Holy crap!
                      I'm familiar with gars, but I never knew they got that big. We got big fish in our rivers up here, but they're less menacing looking. The Fraser River Sturgeon:

We have Sturgeon over here too. The big ones you can't actually keep, but you can keep smaller ones. One time my dad caught like a 10 or 11 footer. Sturgeon are a good eatin' fish.
                      Gibson SG Standard
                      Jackson DK2M Dinky
                      Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                      Roland Micro Cube
                      Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

I was fishing on Toledo Bend and one "rolled" beside my boat. I'd estimate that it was 12-14 feet in length. There is a huge alligator gar in the museum on campus in Arkadelphia. It makes the one pictured above look like a minnow.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Pat, we've fished for spotted gar with nylon rope, but they don't get nearly as large as the alligator gars. It's a huge sport down here to bow hunt for them at night.
                          "POOP"

Comment

I have seen those displayed at the local July 4th fishing rodeos since I was a kid. They stay alive for quite awhile out of the water too, as often as not those jaws are still moving as they sit on the table on display.

Nobody had to tell me to keep my hands away from that mouth! They do look prehistoric, don't they?
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, Rich, ya don't wanna end up like this goof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwArFqhh9E

(skip to 1:17 for the action shot)
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X