No announcement yet.

Tactical gear fans...check this out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The backup iron sights seem a bit overkill with that ACOG. How do you flip them up with that scope mounted? Looks like it covers it up.

How far back were you shooting? We have to confirm zero at 100m and I've gotten 3/4" grouping with my new EOTech prone unsupported. If I was on sandbags, I might be able to score 1/2" groups at 100m...but we're not gonna have sandbags set up in firefights, ya know. lol

Nice rifle, bro. Wish my M4 was that nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
      I've read here and there that m14's are finding their way back into service for a number of reasons. Is that an option? Good luck BTW.
      It's true, what they are finding out is in Urban Combat the 5.56 just isn't cutting it, it's too small and too fast, at close ranges it just goes straight through.

That is why your seeing an influx of the M14 back into service, as well as all these new cartridges being developed for the AR platform, like the 6.8 SPC,6.5 Grendel,458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf. The last 2 being heavy hitters.

A lot of the guys are starting to think, that yes the for a particular weight I can carry 200 rounds of 5.56 and only 110 round of 7.62(this is an example), but I only need 1 maybe 2 shots to take someone down with a 7.62, as it may take 2+ of 5.56. And with the 7.62 I have a higher penetration power, as in walls,sheet metal, typical city barriers.
      Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

The only reason we use the M14 is for long range engagement. 5.56mm is doodoo past 500m and the Afghan's know this. So they ambush us from 600m+ and we have to be able to fight back. So, we field 1 M14 per squad and he's the designated marksman.

We don't use the M14 for CQB. The marksman also carries an M4 with a 10" barrel for this purpose.

The only units getting 6.8mm are scout units. Even SOF and SF units still use 5.56mm. The M110 is the only weapon in service that is 6.8mm and they're strictly for scout/snipers.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
          The backup iron sights seem a bit overkill with that ACOG. How do you flip them up with that scope mounted? Looks like it covers it up.

How far back were you shooting? We have to confirm zero at 100m and I've gotten 3/4" grouping with my new EOTech prone unsupported. If I was on sandbags, I might be able to score 1/2" groups at 100m...but we're not gonna have sandbags set up in firefights, ya know. lol

Nice rifle, bro. Wish my M4 was that nice.
          100 yards exactly.

It is total mall ninja overkill, but I like it,lol. The ACOG is mounted via a LaRue quick detach lever, and the back ups just flip right up. So it would take 2 seconds to pop off the ACOG if somehow it got smashed.

I used to run my Eotech 512 and have the sights flipped up for a co-witness setup.
          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
            100 yards exactly.

It is total mall ninja overkill, but I like it,lol. The ACOG is mounted via a LaRue quick detach lever, and the back ups just flip right up. So it would take 2 seconds to pop off the ACOG if somehow it got smashed.

I used to run my Eotech 512 and have the sights flipped up for a co-witness setup.
            No, it's actually smart. I have flip-ups on my M4 zero'd for 500m in the event something were to happen to my EOTech...God forbid. There's nothing wrong with them so long as you know how to use em.

And fantastic shooting for 100m! I thought that was 25m like the indoor ranges I have to go to around here. You definitely have a great AR.

Comment

Thanks.

I wish you and your fellow soldiers the best of luck and a safe return from your deployment.

Vincent

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                Thanks.

I wish you and your fellow soldiers the best of luck and a safe return from your deployment.

Vincent
                Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  I've had to make due with my KABAR...
                  I carried a kabar when i was in the corps loved it but it wasnt the standard i had the tanto version great for opening thingssss lol
                  ESP ltd EX-260
                  Jackson Kx10
                  Jackson DXMG (SD Blackouts)
                  Crate GFX-212T
                  Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
                  Dunlop Crybaby from hell

Comment

I can't leave without showing off my weapon first.

Colt M4 5.56mm Assault Rifle w/ M203 40mm Grenade Launcher
                    EOTech 557 HWS w/ 4x Flip-to-Side Magnifier
                    PAQ-2 Laser Borelight
                    Surefire LED Tac Light
                    Leaf Sight for M203
                    Pop-up rear sight (backup - zeroed for 300m)

Comment

• Goddamn..you go boyeeee.

BTW thanks guys for the info on the Beretta. I have to get used to it. It's a different animal than what I was trained on ..so it seems weird.

It seems like a better made gun than my ol' service weapon tho.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                        Thing is she's heavy.
                        Dude...check out my M4. That sumbitch clocks in at almost 13 pounds. It weighs almost as much as a fucking M249 SAW.

Comment

• You guys are all wusses! Desert Eagle teh absolute best because its in Counter Strike and stuff!!!11!1 gobblegobble!

Aaaanyway...
                          Why did I not check out this thread earlier? This is like heaven.

Held a pistol for the first time at around the age of 4 and fired at maybe 5-6. Mother also worked in a military training centre for years since I was 8, so I naturally have very deep respect for anyone in the military.

Anyone serving or about to leave for a foreign land "hint hint" , for the love of god, stay safe and best of luck! I'll be sure to blast some Bonded By Blood for ya!
                          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

• Originally posted by DRM View Post
                            This is some new gear I've picked up for Afghanistan. Any gear whores should check this stuff out...definite thumbs up for everything listed.

The first is my Tactical Tailor MAV rack with X-harness. It's a 2-piece design, so when you need to go to prone, just unclip the front buckles and there ya go. It has enough MOLLE brackets to mount enough pouches for a patrol...I keep my magazines on one side and my other goodies (map pouch, grenade pouches, etc.) on the other. It doesn't have any pouches mounted on it...I just sized it up and taped off the excess straps. The X-harness is extra but makes it so much more comfortable and easier to don and doff.

Next up are these hi-speed 6-magazine pouches for my 5.56mm ammo. They have a bungee retaining band on the top of each mag which is more secure and more quiet than a traditional plastic clip or velcro strap. (the 550 cord and tape on the bottom of the mags is something I learned in RIP...makes it easier to pull mags out of the rack and is cheaper than buying an aftermarket Magpul)

Now is my new knife...a Gerber LMF Infantry knife. It's made of S30V steel with a large steel strike pommel on the bottom of the handle for breaking windows or breaking someone's face. You can use it as a hammer if you keep it in the sheath and use the bottom of the handle. Nice knife, and only $75.

Finally, I have my new EOTech 557 MPO kit. It's a 557 holographic optic with a 4x flip-to-side magnifier. The reticle has a 65 MOA circle with a 1 MOA dot in the middle. The subsequent dots trailing the center dot are for range shots...this optic is designed to be used on a 5.56mm weapon with the center dot zero'd for 300m. The second is for 400m, the third 500m, and the final 600m. My favorite EOTech reticle...I returned my 512 in favor of the 557. This version is also night vision compatible and runs on AA batteries with a 1,100 hour battery life. Target acquisition is almost instant with the 65 MOA circle with quadrant ticks. An absolute joy for close quarters fighting.

remind me to stay on your good side.

Comment

• That is a lot of hardware bolted to that thing! It must be pretty front heavy by looking at it.

I hope it serves you well.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

• The best is your shiny new Eotech and magnifier mounted to your "used" service rifle.

Comment

Working...
                                X