Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning down the house!

Well, not exactly

So today was my Chiropractor appointment day, but I rescheduled for 2 more weeks.

The original plan was to throw some chicken in the oven on about 250, be gone about an hour, and get back in plenty of time to finish up before my Dad left for work.

So instead, he ate the plate of leftovers from last night and I thawed a pizza.

While I'm adding toppings and cheese to it, I figure I'll start the oven.

The oven's been on maybe 5 minutes, and I'm done dressing up the pizza (more pepperoni and cheese on top of pepperoni and cheese )

I open the door to the oven and the element in the bottom is glowing like a welding rod

So I turn the oven off, but the light stays lit, and the element's still glowing!

So, I grab the extinguisher that's been sitting on the counter for about 5+ years (still in the box), open the oven door, and fwoosh into it.

The kitchen fills with powder.

I open the windows over the sink and the front door to let the wind carry the crap away so I can see, and it's still glowing!

I give it another good bath in the powder and FINALLY it goes out, but the Oven light (that tells you when it's On) is still lit.

So I yank it away from the wall and unplug it. NOW it's off

Dad will NOT be pleased, but since my original plan was to throw some food in the oven and be gone for an hour, while he was still asleep....

Anyone ever had to hose yer stove? Can it be cleaned or do you just truck on down to Lowe's and buy a new one?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    So I yank it away from the wall and unplug it. NOW it's off

Hmmmm, pay attention Glasshopper. Deplive source of ignition flom fuel and frames die down. Or, if you plefer : Switch flucking thing off, you broody iriot.

You know where you went wrong here? You went into the kitchen. That's a woman's domain, should have got one in to do the cooking, they love it, it's their place.
    FFS, please don't even think that your shirt needs ironing. Just whistle the Mrs, scratch your balls, and tell her you need this shirt doing. Pronto.
    And if she needs a Brontosaurus clubbing to death, she should whistle you. Nature's way - the BEST way.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Bah. Weak man rely on woman. Nook rely on Nook.

Besides, woman can't reach stove unless she stands up, and why make her stop what she's doing?

I've been taking the stove apart for the last few hours (after browsing Lowe's and Sears websites for replacement costs - maybe the insurance will cover it? Doubtful. )

Luckily for me, taking stuff apart is one of those things I'm good at - took apart my incubator when I was born, while whistling a tune. Maybe that's how they found out what I was doing

However, it's going to need to be hauled outside and blown out with the air compressor, since it's in the insulation.

And it's raining. And we have more rain changing to snow/ice coming. For the next 5 days.

And you guys say there's no God. He's ROFLing as we speak
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Ed Roman did it... :ROTF:

I know a lot of people who are good at "taking things apart" now when it comes time to put it back together... What's this screw for? How did this go back in, it came out effortlessly. WTF:think:

Good luck Matt, prolly just a new element or it actually sounds like a switch, if the light and the element were on after you turned it off.

Or call Jethro from Acme Appliance, he'll fix it for $60
        Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

hmmm...why not yank the plug before douching with a fire extinguisher? We have an electric stove that has one surface burner that every 4-5 months wont shut off when you turn it off...have to unplug it and leave it unplugged for about an hour
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Electric ovens suck. My parents have been in their house for 38 years and have been through 4 of them. When we bought our house it had a gas oven in it that was 45+ years old. There was nothing wrong with it but we replaced it because we wanted something with a few more bells and whistles.

Comment

I thought this was gonna' be a thread about David Byrne and the boys

Comment

Yeah, but it's fitting, no?

I coulda yanked the oven away from the wall and pulled the plug. Prolly shoulda chanced it.

I also coulda walked 15 feet to the breaker and threw it, but I don't like to leave anything burning, even for a few seconds. The element was chasing down like a fireworks fuse, headed for the innards. I thought it was one of those setups where I cold just reach in and yank it out of the socket, but it wasn't. It's held in place with a bracket, and behind the bracket are the connectors on unsecured wires.

Didn't wanna risk an even bigger electrical issue

Plus, I didn't know if the breakers were labeled, and I woulda thrown the Master breaker and shut down the whole house. At 1:30AM. With no flashlight. And the element still blazing from its own heat.

Plus when I finally did pull it out from the wall, the plug didn't wanna come out of the socket.

I wish they'd have put the socket higher up like they do for washers and dryers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                  Electric ovens suck. My parents have been in their house for 38 years and have been through 4 of them. When we bought our house it had a gas oven in it that was 45+ years old. There was nothing wrong with it but we replaced it because we wanted something with a few more bells and whistles.
                  I don't think Matt's oven is "electric". It is probably a gas oven that uses an electric ignitor to light the flame. Mine is that way too.

Mine has been acting up also. Sometimes I turn on the oven and go back 10 minutes later and it is still cold. So I turn it off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and it gets hot. Go figure. Any ideas? Sometimes it lights off, sometimes it doesn't.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                    Mine has been acting up also. Sometimes I turn on the oven and go back 10 minutes later and it is still cold. So I turn it off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and it gets hot. Go figure. Any ideas? Sometimes it lights off, sometimes it doesn't.

Those ignitors, have to pull "X" amount of amperage to operate the gas valve. They will appear to be red and glowing, but not pull the current to run the gas valve. They will do this intermittently, then eventually totally die.

UNPLUG STOVE (ask me how I know this) Remove the ignitor, usually a screw or three and then they are often wire nutted to the power wires. Take ignitor to an appliance parts place ask them to test it. They will usually test it by powering it up and running an amp probe over it.

They run 50-70 bucks. Haven't found them much cheaper on the net either. But, I've replaced two on my stove and three or four on my parents over the last umpteen years.

Don't leave it on trying to get it to work, sometimes they allow "some" gas out but not enough to run a burner. Over time, that would be bad.

Fire extinguisher stuff in the stove? ugh... Try oven cleaner? Sounds like a switch is screwing up like Pat said... Maybe time to replace unit...

Comment

Clevo John speaks the truth.

It could also just be that the holes the gas comes out of in the oven are clogged. You should be able to access them by going in through the broiler (if the broilers on the bottom that is). And if the oven still works after getting covered in that powder stuff. That stuff gets in everywhere and wreaks havoc on any electronic parts.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                        Those ignitors, have to pull "X" amount of amperage to operate the gas valve. They will appear to be red and glowing, but not pull the current to run the gas valve. They will do this intermittently, then eventually totally die.

UNPLUG STOVE (ask me how I know this) Remove the ignitor, usually a screw or three and then they are often wire nutted to the power wires. Take ignitor to an appliance parts place ask them to test it. They will usually test it by powering it up and running an amp probe over it.

They run 50-70 bucks. Haven't found them much cheaper on the net either. But, I've replaced two on my stove and three or four on my parents over the last umpteen years.

Don't leave it on trying to get it to work, sometimes they allow "some" gas out but not enough to run a burner. Over time, that would be bad.
                        Thank you, John. I appreciate the info.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Glad to help bro. it's nice when I can be somewhat useful, haha...

Comment

I especially want to see pics of Newc's face & hair poofed back with burnt fire extinguisher foam, and covering his entire kitchen. Sounds like an epic visual!

(Sorry, Newc. I couldn't resist the laugh at your expense. Totally just kidding. And, besides the already-stated obvious, one of your first mistakes was the intent to leave a hot stove going unattended. )

Comment

Yeah, fire extinguisher stuff is hard to remove sometimes... If it get like superheated onto metal. Ummm, typical fire condition

I'd try oven cleaner. And umm, diagnosing why the ignitor stayed on.

Comment

Working...
                              X