Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer question ....

Computer question ....

I use online banking and bill pay sometimes, if I added Yahoo!instant messaging would that compromise my security?

And if so, how hard would it be to make a separate partition or some other options?

I'm using an Amd quadcore 9600 with 4 gigs running windows Vista(if any of that matters)

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer,
    Jay
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

No, that won't be a problem. Your online bank's pages will start with "https:" in the URL address line, meaning that all communication between you and them is encrypted.

I would, however, keep the computer scanned for spyware on a regular basis.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Definitely keep it scanned. If you've got a bud that works at BestBuy, see if he can dupe you a GeekSquad CD. It's got tons of cool scanners.

Trojan Hunter is good.

The main problem with most anti-douchebaggery software is the douchebags can also get it, then code their douchery to evade it, thus making it ineffective.\

However, after the 5th time you peel one of the douchebags like a grape in a public square, maybe they'll take the hint?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

One of my fave malware softwares..

I have personally worked with one of the developers on a rootkit I couldn't conquer and they were amazingly helpful. Worth buying.

This too...
        SUPERAntiSpyware protects you from malware, ransomware & spyware. Start your free trial today & remove Spyware, Rootkits, Adware, Viruses & More!

They both find stuff most other software doesn't.

Of course spybot has a great HOST file to keep you from known malicious sites... And keeps registry stuff from being changed by rogue programs.

AND I use the free Winpatrol to help that stuff as well.

Yeah, I'm obsessive...

Comment

Well, these days you just about have to be obsessive. Unfortunately you end up with 1000 small programs running at once and your system gets destabilized anyway. Turn them off/take them out and risk getting some jerkoff's idea of a joke destabilizing your system.

Computer Safety is a no-win situation, that is until they decide to get violent with these clowns.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, you can get into shit easy...

Aside from the obvious sites (MySpace, gaming sites, lyric sites) that load nasties. I got maliciously slammed doing a search on some police equipment I needed one day. Bill got slammed doing a search on Christian stuff for a research paper... Some tool somewhere will maliciously set up a site to attack people doing searches on whatever they have a vendetta of sorts with, haha...

I have all that and STILL got that rootkit a while back... I still haven't figure out how it got past stuff. Pretty sure it was myspace oriented from one of the ads.

Comment

I wouldn't worry much about Yahoo Messenger. Someone would have to be one of your friends and then send you some kind of keystroke logger in a file.

A separate partition won't help much for security purposes since once someone is in your PC, they will have access to all your info and can get into all your partitions.

Just be careful out there with funny websites. If you do happen to come across any funny pop-ups asking to install stuff Immediately ALT+F4 out of your web browser. Do not click on anything in that pop-up especially any YES or NO buttons.

Keep updated versions of your favorite spyware removal programs on your computer. Ask 50 people which ones to use and you will get 50 different answers, but the general idea is to have 2 or 3 good ones as what one misses the others will pick up. Depending on how often you surf the net, run scans whenever you get a chance. Most will want to do quick scans which are fine, but if you start seeing a lot of stuff being picked up by the spyware programs, tell them to do full scans.

I usually run these programs in this order when I get a customer PC in with spyware. First delete all temp files and cookies, it will speed up your scans considerably.
              Adware - SpyBot - Malwarebytes - Trend Micro Housecall - AVG.

Sometimes even after all those there are still some pesky critters in your machine or the ones that got removed already took their toll on your Windows files and you are forced to format and reload. If you have any info on your computer you couldn't live without, make atleast one backup on external media (CD, DVD, Flash drive or whatever) as all it takes is one nasty file to slip past your safeguards or your harddrive decides to die and all your precious pictures of baby Timmy on his first birthday go Bye-Bye.

Ok, I am done......

Matt

Comment

Working...
              X