No announcement yet.

I think my fingers may be getting weak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my fingers may be getting weak.

I don't play a lot of leads, or at least I never used to. I always let my other guitar player handle 75% of the leadwork, and he did all the harder stuff. Since I'm in a band with a different guy now, we split leads about 50/50. So I was learning some of the new stuff yesterday, and came across a 2 step bend on the 3rd string, 17th fret. It took a lot of effort to make that bend. After playing it through a dozen or so times, I could barely do it anymore. I'm only using 10-52s, and it's a 24.75 scale guitar.

This isn't normal is it?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Zeegs-

I think it is. I say this because the guitar teacher I'm working with now makes me do some weird shit that I initially perform like a guy that never picked up a guitar. You have muscle memory and you have strength doing things you've done for a long time. New shit is just that- new.

I get this hellacious ache in the "meaty" part of my hand, on the outside below my pinky. Burns like a son of a bitch, then just feels crampy, and at that point I can't do much. But it is getting better and better each time I do my exercises.

Now here's what's wild- The stuff I *always* do and always have done I do much more quickly now, with more authority- Strengthening the supporting muscles I guess have made the common stuff that much easier.

I may be reading too much into what you're saying, but your line there, "I don't play alot of leads" makes me think it's just building stamina & some new muscle strength. If it turns into legit pain, as with all things, stop for a bit.

V

Comment

Well, I play a lot of leads, and (recently) had an issue, where I had to change tunings. I ALWAYS played my guitars 25 and 24" scales at D w/10-46's. I had to go to E and had to drop to 09-42's to feel pretty fluent again. All is quite well now at that gauge. Umm, other than it doesn't sound as heavy and my tone suffers on the high strings.

Plus, if you're just not used to doing that stuff in general, build up to it.

Don't get too crazy at first trying to get on it or you may aggravate or initiate a tendon issue. And they're hard to quell once you start them.

I think I'm somewhat prone to tendonitis issues, and at 44, I find doing ANYTHING too much out of nowhere will mess with my associated tendons, haha... That goes from running to guitar playing. I jumped into running in the academy too fast and paid for it, haha... I've recently been working on some sweeps I don't do much and obsessed a bit, I noticed tendons starting to make note of themselves, haha...

So, like anything, build up sort slowly and you'll be fine. You probably just haven't used those muscles that way and they need to work their way into it. But take it slow, you don't wanna start those issues cuz they don't heal so well once they start.
      Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Maybe I should try using a lighter gauge for a while, just until my ring finger feels stronger. It's kinda strange because I always preferred playing the slower bendy stuff, and I've never had much interest in the wheedly wheedly stuff, so I just figured I shouldn't be having this problem.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have had serious problems with pain in almost all the finger joints on my left hand.. aggravated by the fact that I sit in front of a computer and type all day. It still crops up now and then, almost ALWAYS after I've been trying to learn a new song. So yeah, don't overdo it & try lighter strings. Getting old sucks!

Comment

If you're not used to it, I feel it's totally understandable. Just slowly work your way into it. That also means when you pick up the guitar, don't just go crazy, slowly build momentum and warm up before acrobatics.

Bend away till you start feeling what you think may be tight tendons in your arm or whatever etc. then chill a while. A lil burn is fine, just dont overdo it, and you'll be there fast.

I've dealt with tendonitus since I was in my 20's, mostly in my picking hand. The wrist (carpal) and thumb. I actually have carpal, tennis and golfer's elbow that comes and goes. I manage it with stretching a bit, and being frugal in what I do and play. I was a carpenter that played Metallica a LOT, haha.... But, that is why I stress building up. If you don't have tendon issues, you don't want them
            Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I wrecked my hands typing improperly for 20+ years.

These days I play 9-46 strings like a girl.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I have a problem with bends over one step because I don't really practice them - i.e. my ear hears 1 step bends and stops my fingers, so I have to conciously force my hands to do it. I would try this exercise:

Practice bending a note up 1/2, whole, 1 1/2, then two steps - hold each for a couple beats, apply vibrato, etc. I like to play the intended note, then bend up to it, then play the intended note again to keep my ear honest. Work on different fingers so its not just your ring finger.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I used to use 10's for the longest time and that took more Muscle which actually inhibits speed in my opinion.

Matt

Comment

Do what I did to get better with bending and vibrato.

Switch to 11's.
                    Originally posted by horns666
                    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

just work on it bro. practice until you get more strength into your muscles, but don't rush it

4 and 5 step bends are one of the most important elements in my playing, I've played 11's set most of my life but I constantly used an acoustic with 13's set to work on my bends and vibrato... but when I took my electric it was so easy to do.

switching to lighter strings wont solve the problem unless you have something physically/medically wrong with your fingers.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        switching to lighter strings wont solve the problem unless you have something physically/medically wrong with your fingers.
                        Ummm... no... I would disagree. JMO But, it worked well for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                          Ummm... no... I would disagree. JMO But, it worked well for me...
                          you loss some tone right? so it's an another problem
                          It's easier to do with lighter set but If you work on the bending on the heavier set for a while then it's easy to do on your normal set and you wont lose your tone and whatnot
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

you loss some tone right? so it's an another problem
                            Yes, you do. Mostly noticable on the high E. I'm using 9's for the Priest crap we're doing.

If you work on the bending on the heavier set for a while then it's easy to do on your normal set and you wont lose your tone and whatnot
                            True... Key phrase is working up to it. I still went to 9's tho for playing in E as I always played 10's at D and 10's at E were bumming me out a lot. Just not used to it I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X