'08-'09 NHL Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    Pens looked totally outplayed the entire game.
    So, you're saying that you didn't watch it? I won't take anything away from Philly...they played good hockey and converted almost every good opportunity that they were presented with. Pittsburgh also had a lot of opportunities but they just couldn't convert. Add to that a sub-par performance by Fluery and you have the 5-3 game that was played (goal 6 was an empty netter). It could have easily gone the other way, much like game 2 could have have.

The Pens were beaten, but they still played well...just not well enough to beat a motivated Philly team that played a near perfect game.

Comment

• Rupe, the Pens were totally outplayed that whole game, especially in the second and third periods. Biron made the saves he needed to, but the Pens chances were too few and far between. Pens were outhit like 29 to 18. They won't win if they let the Flyer's out hit and out chance them.

Spivonious is right, the short handed goal was the straw that broke the Pens back. Gotta call a spade a spade when I see it.

Comment

• I will agree with Rupe about Fleury's sub-par performance. He gave up too many rebounds.

I really don't understand why the league keeps pushing Crosby into the spotlight. Malkin is by far the better player. Or maybe the "Crosby Sucks" chants got to him?

Game 4 is going to be a good one.
        Scott

Comment

• I disagree with the "outplayed" tag being applied to this game. When I think of "outplayed", I think of a team that just looks flat and sluggish...that wasn't the case. Out-executed would be more like it. The Pens still had plenty of scoring chances but failed to convert. Philly capitalized on their opportunities and played with an "edge" all game long, whereas Pitt reverted to being too "fancy" with drop passes at the blue line, too many passes/not enough shots, etc instead of the dump and chase/fire shots at the net style that won the first two matchups.

My hat is off to Philly. They won the game because of superior execution, not because the Pens played poorly (beyond a few breakdowns). They showed up, played hard, and earned the win...it wasn't given to them through poor play.

Comment

• Philly had periods of dominance throughout game..albeit intermittently. The Flyers are a dumb team, always have been when it comes to taking dumb penalties. They tried like hell to hand the game over to the Pens. Pittsburgh tried to counter punch but came up short and couldnt take advantage on the PP. The short handed goal was was a backbreaker.

I think Pierrie McGuire has man love for Crosby NBC=Nothing But Crosby, I'm fine with that and hope the Pens can advance deep so the Crosby Network will keep giving them the weekend day games and stay away from Detroit

How about those San Jose Sharks?
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

• i'm sorry guys but unless I'm permanently damaged for life, it always seems like the Pens have the god damn puck to me. I think they had better puck possession yesterday. Honestly. I had a feeling the Shanks would tank. Joe Thornton was interviewed after the game, it was like nothing happened at all. "It will come" was his answer. You gotta be shittin' me. The Rangers have to play the game of their lives tonite or that series will be tied soon. Maybe the Shanks can turn it around the same way. Urgency is something you can never put to the side if you want to keep playing.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

• if you can't find any urgency in a game where your possibly could be down 3 games to none then your team probably doesn't have much of a pulse if the Rangers match intensity and get another solid outing by Lundqvist tonight they'll have the caps in a choke hold...just dont let em up off the mat.

The Sharks perhaps underestimated the Duckies. The Ducks played some good hockey down the stretch and have a good system with experience. Its not like they are going to lay down and die..seems like the Sharks think the Presidents Trophy is a free pass or something. The Ducks sent them on the PP countless times and they still couldn't do anything.I'm not going to lie, I don't like either team so I'm happy someone on the west coast will fall in round 1
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

• the Hawks were impressive not folding up after falling behind 2-0 yesterday.
                  But that song after the whistle blew has to go, and quickly-lol

Comment

• The issue the Pens will have I think is if the series gets dragged on past 5 games. The Flyer's last night proved everyone can get in on the scoring action. Like the Caps, they are finding out you can't survive without being able to throw wave after wave of talent out there as it wears down your top players.

I think what killed the Pens is what killed the Flyers in game 2; they were just that close and the goalie didn't show up ready to win a hockey game. When both teams fail to execute, they look the same. Getting too cute. East to West passes vs North to South passes. Getting beat to the puck. I still think the Flyers are the better team. When you have 6-7 threats to score, it's not horrible if one or two goes cold, but if you're facing that kind of team and you only have 3-4 threats and one or two gets shut down, you're toast.

If the Flyers can win tomorrow, they put the hammer down and could charge back to Pittsburgh to win Game 5. When everything clicks for the Flyers, I don't think the Penguins have the depth to stop them.

As for Rangers/Caps, the Rangers are beating them the same way the Flyer's did last year; stopping Ovechkin. As much as he is out there, you need him to put points on the board, as the the more he is out there through a series the more worn down he gets. It's great he wants to be out and is, but I just think it shows the Capitals are not able to keep up if he get's shut down. I got to say though, he may be my favorite guy in hockey right now. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=419214 Flyers fans boo this guy, but I think he is awesome.

Aside from Pittsburgh/Flyers and Carolina/NJ, most of the other series though have been kind of boring... I'm REALLY hoping for some excitement, especially out West, but meh. The Ducks beating San Jose is pretty funny though; I think San Jose is getting what they deserve for the so-so effort they are putting out. I was really hoping Columbus would make a series of things, though the Blues series is going how I thought due to their injuries and goaltending, but I thought they would at least sneak up for a game or two. Hats off to their coach though, as it was a victory to get that team to the playoffs.

Comment

• ^ he speaks the truth.

The Flyers consistently shutdown Ovie last year and that's how they got past them. The Rangers are doing the same thing, and the Caps just don't have the depth to work through it.

If the Flyers win tomorrow, they win the series. I just hope the league doesn't get involved and have the refs attempt to change the outcome like they did in the Flyers/Canadiens series last year.

That said, I think the Flyers and Pens are very similar teams on the ice. They both like hits, they both have good defensemen, good forwards, and average goalies who occassionally hit streaks. This series has proven to be very entertaining.
                      Scott

Comment

• The Caps have plenty of depth, Semin, Green, Backstrom, Kozlov, Nylander, even Federov and Fleischman, i fully expect the caps to rebound in this series, they are big and hit hard. but either way-

Penguins v. Rangers - October 25, 2008 - MSG - Nikolai Zherdev ties game with 8.1 seconds remaining in regulation. The Rangers went on to win the game via t...

Comment

• Ovechkin is a great player but I consider him a puck hog. It wouldn't matter who he plays with once the pucks on the great 8's stick...he gets tunnel vision and goes for the net, 1 on 2, 1 on 3, 1 on 4...it doesnt matter...the guy wont dish. Until he can learn how to effectively draw a crowd and then utilize his teammates as well defensive play (backcheck)...he's just a great one demsional player.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Shawn I agree.

What are my Blackhawks going to do tonight? 3-0?
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

• Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                              Shawn I agree.

What are my Blackhawks going to do tonight? 3-0?
                              Yes!
                              Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

• I don't know Tets. There is no quitting in the Blackhawks. The Flames will be ready to rock and the Hawks need to match the intensity, survive the first 10 minutes and quite the crowd with a goal. The Bulin wall will be tested hard tonight. The Flames will come out trying to intimidate with some physical play but what pisses them off...take it like a man and dish it right back out..the Blackhawks are capable of doing that but that is a tough barn to win in the playoffs.
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X