'08-'09 NHL Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
    I didn't think the Malkin fight deserved a suspension. Two stars fighting and going at it is all that was. Makes for good hockey in game 3. Still a lot of hockey to be played. Each team had moments where they looked tired and then they got a extra wind to keep them going. The day of rest will do both teams good.

Fleury has to play better to give the Penguins a chance. The Penguins defence hasn't helped much either.

I just hope the refs stay consistant. They are letting a lot of things slide on both sides of the ice. Don't change the tone midway through the series. Let the teams keep playing.
    I agree with most of that, but IMO the refs swallowing their whistles is a clear benefit to the Wings...the Pens clearly aren't as "tough" in the trenches so playing that style slows down their offensive firepower.

Anyone who thinks Malkin was "sending a message" should be watching Lifetime movies...if a "message" was to be sent, it would have been Cooke, not the top points producer in the league. That incident was clearly a "heat of the moment" battle and not a planned fight.

The difference so far is a few good bounces and Fleury sucking hard...the teams appear to be pretty evenly matched beyond that.

Comment

• Well, according to the rules, since Malkin got an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of the game, that's an automatic one-game suspension.

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.

More proof that Bettman wants the Pens to get a Cup.
      Scott

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
        I didn't think the Malkin fight deserved a suspension. Two stars fighting and going at it is all that was.
        No it wasn't. Malkin straight-armed him and had every intention of straight-arming him. It was f'n greasy as F. Z saw it coming and put his arm out to detract from it as he saw Malkin coming in towards him. Then 'big' Malkin actually got handled pretty well by Z.

Malkin's just very upset that he hasn't been able to get 3 points per game like he had been.

He came around the net wanting to fight and started a fight...he should be suspended for a game. Notice he didn't go after a 'tough' guy he went after the guy who is shutting down the Pens' offense.

Anyway...upon looking at the Hossa thing again...that's a tough call either way. I think if it was called a hook I wouldn't say too much about it 'not being' a hook but by the same token that's by far the smallest of things to complain about as far as 'non-calls' go. The big issue is that years ago people wouldn't stand around mugging at the refs to try to get a call...AND they had wooden sticks that simply DID NOT break as often.

Did I mention that Bettman is a weasel?
        My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by goodwood View Post
          No it wasn't. Malkin straight-armed him and had every intention of straight-arming him. It was f'n greasy as F. Z saw it coming and put his arm out to detract from it as he saw Malkin coming in towards him. Then 'big' Malkin actually got handled pretty well by Z.
          No doubt he targeted Zetterberg but it was just a fight. Give them both five and call it day. The instigator rule just doesn't add up.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Rupe View Post
            I agree with most of that, but IMO the refs swallowing their whistles is a clear benefit to the Wings...the Pens clearly aren't as "tough" in the trenches so playing that style slows down their offensive firepower.

I find that pretty funny considering every year we hear about how the Wings aren't tough enough. :ROTF:
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

• Yeah, that fight was at the end of the game, didn't influence the end result, and nobody was hurt. Give Zetterberg and Malking fighting majors and move on. A suspension would be silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                Yeah, that fight was at the end of the game, didn't influence the end result, and nobody was hurt. Give Zetterberg and Malking fighting majors and move on. A suspension would be silly.
                I agree that a suspension would be silly, but the rules specifically state that if there's an instigator penalty given in the last 5 minutes, regardless of context or who was targeted, it's an automatic suspension that cannot be appealed. You can't pick and choose what rules to enforce and what rules to let go.
                Scott

Comment

• I don't care about the no suspension either...its hockey folks, not pansy ping-pong

Also quit falling for homers MgGuire and Eddi O commentary on the Hossa should have been a penalty...lookie here

A blind man can see Dupuis stick breaks on Hossas skate...don't see many folks crying that he should get 2 minutes for breaking his stick over Hossas foot
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

• you know what bothers me? When the Penguins scored yesterday on the power play, they focus on Cindy Crosby after it showing him make two passes to open guys during the powerplay. He had nothing to do with the actual goal. It's over the top.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

• Lookin a lot like last year minus 3 thousand freakin whistles. Pens better step it up, or it's gonna be a short series. The thing I've noticed in the first two games: The Wings are SKATING the puck in - the Pens are DUMPING it in.
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

• well Tommy neither did Malkin...Brad Stuart whacked that puck in his own net

Pittsburgh will respond tomorrow night...
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Good video Shawn...pretty conclusive IMO. That said, my biggest issue as far as missed calls is allowing a player (Zetterberg) to cover the puck in the crease...it's gone uncalled twice now, once in each game.

Comment

• Yes his stick broke on his foot, but it wasn't a penalty. He was going for the puck. And I hate the Pens.
                            Scott

Comment

• Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                              Good video Shawn...pretty conclusive IMO. That said, my biggest issue as far as missed calls is allowing a player (Zetterberg) to cover the puck in the crease...it's gone uncalled twice now, once in each game.

There are missed calls all over the place on both sides. I'm not goin to name them all but they do go both ways. The refs already explained the first one but who knows..maybe they felt like they already gave Malkin a breakaway instead callin a trip on him

These are two of the least penalized teams playing, that and swallowing of the whistles is making for some good end to end action imho. I like them letting the boys play the game. This is the Stanley Cup finals and they dont need to be calling ticky tack stuff just becasue they can
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                                Yeah, that fight was at the end of the game, didn't influence the end result, and nobody was hurt. Give Zetterberg and Malking fighting majors and move on. A suspension would be silly.
                                Yeah...so every time a team loses they can go out and start punching out one of the skill players. That's why instigators get extra attention at the end of games. The instigator rule in general? Stupid. In situations like this? Perfect if they use it.

The point is it wasn't a fight until Malkin made it a fight for no reason other than 'there's some crap going on I should start something with Zetterberg'.

Anyway...it's just typical. Osgood gets poked with a stick and says it's no big deal but what happens with the next spear or the one after that? That's how contact sports work...the next guy amps it up and the next guy amps it up...
                                My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X