'08-'09 NHL Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few observations:

Even as a die-hard Pens fan, I'm getting extemely sick and tired of the media coverage that they get. All you see now is that Crosby is scoreless in two games this series...wtf??? It's not like he's been without opportunities...he'll sink that post shot from Sunday night nine out of ten times.

If anyone deserves the lion's share of coverage at this point, it has to be Osgood. He's easily the main reason the series is where its at, yet there is little talk of it.

The way the Wings get to loose pucks almost makes it seem like they have an extra man on the ice...pretty impressive IMO.

After playing solid D through the first three rounds, why is it that the Pens defensemen seem to back off and give up the blue line so easily? It seems they rarely even challenge a player skating into their defensive zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rupe View Post
      After playing solid D through the first three rounds, why is it that the Pens defensemen seem to back off and give up the blue line so easily? It seems they rarely even challenge a player skating into their defensive zone.
      Either the coach isn't telling them to stand them up on the blue line or they don't have the confidence and think that if they take the man that they'll end up getting passed and chasing the wings to their net.

I do think that game 3 will see a bit of a different squad from Pittsburgh though unless it is in their heads now (which I would think that it has to be). Two games down to the Champions and the same situation as last year there is no way that those guys are prepping for the game and saying "no problem. we can do this."

It has got to be a sick feeling.

RE: Osgood. Yeah, he has been fantastic but one thing that I noticed is that he has looked behind himself a couple of times when he stopped the puck and he has made a few other stops when he wasn't sure where the puck was so that shows a 'weakness in the armour' so to speak(?).
      My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by goodwood View Post
        RE: Osgood. Yeah, he has been fantastic but one thing that I noticed is that he has looked behind himself a couple of times when he stopped the puck and he has made a few other stops when he wasn't sure where the puck was so that shows a 'weakness in the armour' so to speak(?).
        Good observation. I think there is always an element of "luck" when goalies have standout performances, be it great or small. Osgood is fortunate in that he has only had to "pay" for one mistake so far (the big rebound in game one that led to Fedotenko's goal). The Wings have certainly enhanced that "luck" though by scooping up loose pucks (or illegally grabbing them in the crease ).

Comment

• In all honesty Pittsburgh hasn't really been challenged in the playoffs until game 1 of the cup finals. Folks can talk all they want about the Washington series but the Caps (and to some extent the Pens) are not in the same league as Detroit, San Jose and Anaheim. That series looked more like an NHL allstar game (no D) than a playoff series. I may be a bit biased from the west but defense and two way play from forwards isn't preached in the eastern conference. Pittsburgh has been the only team that trys to play a 5 man system. They may not have enough depth from the "will" type players at this juncture.

I anticipate Pittsburgh to come out flying tonight and play desperate hockey and elevate their game. Its do or die in all actuality so I expect them to up the intensity, Detroit has to match that and play clean...I have a feeling we'll see some penalties being called tonight. Also interesting will be how Detroit matches up now that Pittsburgh gets the last change...not sure if they change on the fly to have Z on Sid or if they'll get Flipper play him and Z take Malkin.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

• we've got hockey tonight!!!!!!!! what a glorious morning this is.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

• It might be my orange-tinted glasses, but I felt that Philadelphia challenged the Pens in a few games. I agree that they coasted through the rest of the playoffs though. It's too bad that they had to meet in the first round.
              Scott

Comment

• rumor has it that the NHL sent a memo to head of officials to call more penalties.

fire up the special teams, if they get whistle happy there will be no flow to this game tonight. Look for a 5 on 3 or 2 for Pittsburgh.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Just like it was scripted

Comment

• pretty good road game by the Wings with the difference being the 2 PP goals plus a 6 on 5 for 20 seconds LOL. I never seen anything like that before..
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

• We don't get Versus, so I couldn't watch the game, but from watching the highlights on nhl.com it seemed that Detroit's offense was shut down in the third.
                      Scott

Comment

• I give up. The Pens appeared to outplay the Wings in the first two games (at the very least, they outshot them) and lose both. Last night, the Wings played the better game IMO and lost. WTF???

Fleury finally showed up which was definitely a big help, especially in the second period where the Wings completely dominated.

Babcock may be a good coach, but his incessant whining is so annoying. The refs definitely missed a call that they need to make (the Pens new 6 man attack ) but the officiating was pretty even beyond that.

Another question: Why is the media making such a big deal about Zetterberg being matched up on Crosby??? Sid may not be scoring, but he has certainly had his chances...I don't think his lack of production has much to do with anything that HZ has done. He could easily have 4-5 goals with a little better fortune (and accuracy), and many more assists if the Pens had a winger who wasn't surprised by Sid's passes (Guerrin muffed at least two great opportunities last night).

Comment

• Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                          We don't get Versus, so I couldn't watch the game, but from watching the highlights on nhl.com it seemed that Detroit's offense was shut down in the third.
                          They were...it was the only period that the Pens showed up :think:
                          Beyond that, the Pens finally got some of the good fortune that had been going the Wings' way in the first two outings.

Comment

• the last 5 cup winners have lost game 3. just another headache fact for you all.
                            I expected the Pens to come back last night, if they lost it was over.
                            They need to win this next one just as badly.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

• Babcock doesn't whine. Both Babcock and Byslma are two of classiest coaches around imho. They both get their jabs in equally imho and whinning was what your last mr frency coach did

The way I look at last night is it was a do or die game for Pittsburgh, they brought it and executed on the power play. It still took them going on the power play with under 10 minutes in 3rd period to get the win. I dont care about the officials really but its not like Hal Gill doesnt interfere at all..he does exactcly the same thing Big E did. You win some you lose some so no biggie really

Game 4 will be huge, the Wings will bounce back.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Yeah, Therrien was a whiner...and Babcock makes him look mellow. He whined last year, he's whining this year. To compare the amount of complaining that he does to Bylsma is just wrong...not even close.

Babcock = great coach + big whiner

If the Pens play like they did in the first two games, Fleury shows up, and they get some of the good fortune that they had last night, this series will head back to Detroit all tied up.

Comment

Working...
                                X