Recycling old computers, electronics, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling old computers, electronics, etc

I have an abundance of old computer monitors, printers, keyboards, and a laptop that I need to get rid of. They are currently sitting in my basement collecting dust.

It seems to me I should be able to find a local place that will take partially-functional and junk electronics.. am I missing something? Maybe I am retarded but I am having problems finding somewhere to take these.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Dude, I'm sitting here cleaning up my basement and was thinking the exact same thing! I've got 6 20"+ CRT's, a dozen printers, 100+ hard drives, ram, a handful of laptops, cables out the ying yang, peripherals, all that shit... As far as I know it all works fine, just don't know what to do with it all! Not worth putting it on eBay or Craig's, I don't think. Maybe I'll throw it all up on Craig's list and see if someone wants all of it, can't pick and choose, gotta take it all!

LOL, funny you mentioned this.
    Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Recycling in Electronics is thriving right now. I used to be involved in it indirectly and there should be plenty of places for you guys to drop the stuff off in your area. yes it seems like a raw deal as you probably won't get any money for the stuff but there are more recyclers now than ever.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Add about 50 servers to the mix as well, all piii and old shit... modems, nic's, ram, pc100, lol

Comment

While I was cleaning...

I also found a handful of posters from NAMM 05 I think, some Dime tribute's and a couple of Schenker's, may have to start an auction here for the one signed by Zakk, Vinnie, Kat, and a few others and donate the money somewhere.

Also found some old Jackson Catalog's and a RATT VHS Dave sent a few of us years ago, some other cool stuff I got at the Harley 100 year bash as well. I'll start a thread with something tomorrow sometime and give this crap away.

Comment

Thor, I think that Best Buy will take some stuff, but I don't know what (if any) conditions they put on it. Otherwise, some cities/counties have a drop-off site specifically for electronics.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
              Thor, I think that Best Buy will take some stuff, but I don't know what (if any) conditions they put on it. Otherwise, some cities/counties have a drop-off site specifically for electronics.
              I think Best Buy charges for CRT's, but in the spring, different municipalities usually have free electronics recycling. Check the Big Lake webpage for something like that.

Comment

Donate the crap to a computer-repair school. The tax write-off should be worth way more than the pennies you'll get from a salvage yard.
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                  Donate the crap to a computer-repair school. The tax write-off should be worth way more than the pennies you'll get from a salvage yard.
                  Good idea! I'll have to look into that, Lord knows I could use a freakin write off!

Comment

We have a goodwill electronics store. they send most computer/electronics donations to these.

also, the county/city has locations for CRTs, etc and special time/days for chemicals such as paint, cleaners, and other toxic stuff.

If any of these PCs are HP/Dell - you might get them to take them as they are all trying to be greenish.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Recycling may be the rage right now, but it can be pretty tough. Some local stores may take this bulb and that monitor one at a time but beyond that, yer pretty much screwed. I repair consumer electronics and we get lots of stuff that is "no-fix" and people always trying to dump stuff on us. I worked out a contract with Waste Management in Houston to deal with our electronics and mercury bulbs (DLP).
                      The cool part is that Sony, LG, and a few others are offering free disposal through them for their branded products. Other than that, we have to pay, package and palet it right for them to take it. The big suck is that a lot of "recycled" electronics are making some people $$. Many companies offering "Green" products are selling you parts pulled from the stuff we are sending in.
                      The Buzzard does not fear
                      The man in riot gear
                      Harvest a skull of stone
                      The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

About 70% of all the world's electronics waste ends up in China, where it gets heated over open flame to melt the solder. The valuable stuff is extracted, then the plastics and whatever components are left get burned and the mercury, lead, PCBs, etc. just go into the air, soil & water. That goes for a lot of the stuff that is supposedly being recycled by "green" companies, too. 60 Minutes did a story a few months ago where they tracked shipping containers from a place claiming to do everything "the right way", but they all ended up in China.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                          About 70% of all the world's electronics waste ends up in China, where it gets heated over open flame to melt the solder. The valuable stuff is extracted, then the plastics and whatever components are left get burned and the mercury, lead, PCBs, etc. just go into the air, soil & water. That goes for a lot of the stuff that is supposedly being recycled by "green" companies, too. 60 Minutes did a story a few months ago where they tracked shipping containers from a place claiming to do everything "the right way", but they all ended up in China.
                          You beat me to it. I was gonna suggest that he just puts it in a big crate and send it to china because thats where it all gonna end up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                            I remember that, was pretty disgusting to say the least!

Yeh and we need to spend trillions on "green energy" and "investing" in green... pffft! I guess the administration doesn't know we're not the only country on the planet, right?

Comment

Working...
                            X