First day since I can remember without Cable TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day since I can remember without Cable TV

Day one... we officially got rid of cable television yesterday. We had more channels than my limbic system could handle; including a bunch of HD channels, a lot of sports channels, etc.

I realized that I am sick of paying to watch television. I don't watch it much anyways and I am tired of the noise and the payments. :idea:

I hooked up a computer to the tv so we can use it as a monitor to watch stuff on the internet. I'm still having problems getting the sound to come through completely in the home theater but I think I am on the right track towards fixing it. My missus can still watch all her favorite shows online.

Any advice or encouragement... or threats?

I've had cable tv in some fashion since I was a child.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

you're a brave dude. T.V. is like heroin, you can't just take it away-lol
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I did this last year and can highly recommend it.
      Just make sure that you don't have any bandwidth caps from your ISP to contend with.

Beyond that, I'd recommend a Netflix account for their streaming services.I tend to use it on the weekend for a movie or Mythbusters episodes.

The rest of the time, I get to enjoy silence from that Gawdoffal TV box. And more guitar time.
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Ugg, I am not sure I could go as far as you did. I did slash most of the Pay channels and packages from my cable. Paying $9 a month x 2 packages that I might watch once a month didn't make sence.

Netflix is pretty cool. What movies you can't stream off the net they will just send to you in the mail. Once you send one back your next one is usually in your mail box within a few days.

Comment

watchtvsitcoms.com
          Jeff Smeltz

Comment

My big brother does that now that he lives on his own. He and his friends were going to get satellite but it was too much money and they just hooked hit friend's computer up to their TV and it works great.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
              Ugg, I am not sure I could go as far as you did. I did slash most of the Pay channels and packages from my cable. Paying $9 a month x 2 packages that I might watch once a month didn't make sence.

Netflix is pretty cool. What movies you can't stream off the net they will just send to you in the mail. Once you send one back your next one is usually in your mail box within a few days.
              If you have an Xbox Live Gold enabled Xbox 360 you can stream Netflix videos straight from the console to your TV. You just set up what movies you want on your computer then pick one when you have your Xbox on.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I've been TV free for years... great choice. I found I was spending more time trying to find something to watch then watching. I do have a Netflix membership and their "Watch Instantly" feature is great. Between that, hulu.com and espn360.com, I can easily occupy my time. Also, a lot of networks are streaming their shows now, so you won't miss all that much. The whole idea of $40/month for basic service plus receiver fees for each room and an extra fee for a DVR each month is just absurd. Enjoy your free time!

Comment

After the last season of The Shield, I also gave up TV. I decided, other than the History Channel and the Discover channel, that the rest of it was crap. If I get the urge to "veg," I read a book. I get most of my local and national news off the Internet as well as weather updates.
                  "POOP"

Comment

I do this every couple months when they turn off my cable.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      I do this every couple months when they turn off my cable.
                      :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF: (or not)
                      Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
                        :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF: (or not)
                        No it is!

Its one of those "talks" I'm not allowed to have with my wife - she's in charge of the cable bills... God forbid I even say something like "Um... Timewarner called today..." and she bites my head off.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Weather Channel and Cash Cab for me. Aside from that, TVs are for video games and commercial-free rented or bought movies.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I couldnt live without DirecTV. I dont watch much other than sports...NHL Center Ice package I couldnt live without
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Weather Channel and Cash Cab for me. Aside from that, TVs are for video games and commercial-free rented or bought movies.
                              No Mythbusters or Deadliest Catch? Verminators? Dirty Jobs? I only watch the Discovery Channel. There are 4 buttons I used on my remote; the two volumes, TV/AV (For switching to play Xbox) and the power button. No numbers required.

"I love the planet
                              I love real dirty things,
                              I love to go fast
                              I love Egyptian Kings
                              I love the whole world
                              And all it's craziness
                              BOOM-DE-ADA BOOM-DE-ADA BOOM-DE-ADA BOOM-DE-ADA"

That frickin' song cuts through whatever music I'm listening to. Me and my friend sing it during class to drive everyone insane.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                              X