question about a car accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
    For whatever reason, people seem to frequently jam their brakes on randomly (especially old people. I think they hallucinate ).
    Yep, even if the light turns green, you can't assume people will start moving. I recently had a lady who was stopped behind me at a light, rear-end me because the light turned green and she assumed traffic would start moving. No damage, but it gave me a new awareness of how stupid people can be.

As far as the topic at hand, I wouldn't worry, John. The worst that will happen is that your rates go up a little bit and that it might take a couple of months to get the check to pay for repairs.
    Scott

Comment

One more thing, if they, their lawyers or their insurance company call you, don't say anything but "please contact my insurance company, here's their number, have a nice day" end of conversation. Seriously, nothing more, nothing else.
      Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
        One more thing, if they, their lawyers or their insurance company call you, don't say anything but "please contact my insurance company, here's their number, have a nice day" end of conversation. Seriously, nothing more, nothing else.

Absolutely. Sometimes they want to take a recorded deposotion on the phone. Confer with your lawyer or agent at that time. If they tell you it is mandatory to do so..keep the answers short and concise. Time- Date- Location- No- Yes- ect. If you don't know an answer to a question just say "I don't know". Don't elaborate on anything.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Everything you need to do has been said! Several of us love spreading bullshit, but when it comes down to it, we've got some pretty knowledgeable people at the JCF!

Oh, one other thing and this may have been addressed. I WOULD call my insurance agent and be damned specific in describing the fact that the other motorist should not have even been on the road. Make it crystal clear that your daughter should not be penalized for the other drivers negligence and lack of responsibility. If they decide to raise your rates, let it be known that you'll start shopping for a new family rate elsewhere! I FUCKING HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES!
          "POOP"

Comment

you guys are the best. Thanks for all the comments. Thanks Bill.... as always.

Comment

In Ohio, even if they don't have registration or insurance, they can still sue you. Your daughter was in the wrong. Here, it would be an "assured clear distance" cite. As Bill mentioned, they'll catch a case and some fines from their own BS as well I'm sure.

As said, your ins co will take care of it. I was however, in a case where the people I rear ended (a business guy cheating on his wife and got busted because I hit them) demanded I pay some of their (BS) "punitive" damages out of pocket in the "out of court" settlement proceedings my insurance co finagled withthem. They wanted to hurt "me" personally moneywise. I was 16 tho and my parents were naive. We paid it. Today, I believe I would have told the Ins co to fuck themselves and forced them to fight it. The judge even recommend my Ins co fight it. They found it cheaper to fuck me than pay their lawyers to TCB.

Nonethless, I don't think their illegal status can keep them from sueing your co. That would however be best explained by a lawyer that is familiar with your state's civil law. Why bother paying for that info tho. Even if they sue, they won't get shit and the ins co will take care of it.

Lose no sleep.

Comment

Sounds like some form of scam to me. If I was driving without registration and insurance I certainly wouldnt want the cops involved over a few scratches to an 11 year old car....they are looking for a scam, of not they are not very bright.

I was in a wreck last week where some ditzy broad (probably putting on makeup while driving to work) ran into the back of the truck behind me and pushed him in the back of me...about $5000 damage to my car, the truck that hit me was a Ford ranger that was a work truck for an alarm company, looked like it had minor bumper damage. The women who cause it had Jeep liberty and front end smashed in....I wasnt hurt, she wasn hurt but dude in the middle got carted off in an ambulance. I told my wife he wanted workmans comp and insurance money and was a pussy. I got hit playing hockey harder than that before
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  I was in a wreck last week where some ditzy broad (probably putting on makeup while driving to work) ran into the back of the truck behind me and pushed him in the back of me...about $5000 damage to my car, the truck that hit me was a Ford ranger that was a work truck for an alarm company, looked like it had minor bumper damage. The women who cause it had Jeep liberty and front end smashed in....I wasnt hurt, she wasn hurt but dude in the middle got carted off in an ambulance.

I was the front car in a three car accident right before christmas. Luckily for me (not for the lady that got pushed into me) I have a hitch on my Trailblazer and there was no damage to my vehicle. The van on the other hand had a huge hole in the front bumper, and the rear end was done. I actually got to leave like 15 minutes after it happened because me and my sister were fine and all i had to do was help the officer out with his report.

Sucks to hear about your daughter though, at least no one was hurt.

Comment

I got in a wreck many years ago and did not have insurance. I was in the hospital for a week and went back to work, my pay was short and I had to cust back on something. I figured I could go a week until I got paid and got re-insured. I was wrong:

I was going through and intersection of which I had the right-of-way. Some guy in a truck doing a high rate of speed, t-bones me in my IROC. My head went through the drivers side glass and my right arm busted through the T-top and my left hand was holding the steering wheel which was now detached from the column.

The guy admitted he made a mistake to the officer and wrote it on the report. He wasn't a douche about it at the time. After we go to court, I was held liable for everything. The judge's words were "...you shouldn't have even been driving, if you weren't driving, this accident wouldn't have happened, therefore, you are responsible for this accident.....". The guy that hit me filed suit and won. -Lou " The only luck I have is all bad" Siffer
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Gotta love civil court...

Comment

So far... my insurance company has not been notified.

Comment

I would echo what Vass & zeegler said about your daughter's (poor?) driving skills. Let this be a lesson to her, I hate hearing about all these kids 17-21 years old that wreck cars and the parents just buy 'em another to wreck again (happened to 2 of my co-wprkers on the same day - rained real hard and stupid California teens don't know how to drive in the rain apparently). Chaps my hide because when I was a teen I had to buy my own shit and drove stuff like $50 Plymouths.

So, rant over, get your daughter in a 3rd party Drivers course (not school-related) - money well-spent IMO.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I own an insurance agency and I get this question all the time from people. This is exactly why drivers under 25 are more expensive to insure. It's just pure inexperience.

Like the guys have said - 99.99% of the time if you hit somebody in the rear, it's your fault. I wouldn't worry about this but they do have 3 years to make a liability claim against you. It may not be for property damage but it could be for injuries.
                            "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                            I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

driving lesson #1 for teens. No texting while driving
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                                I would echo what Vass & zeegler said about your daughter's (poor?) driving skills. Let this be a lesson to her, I hate hearing about all these kids 17-21 years old that wreck cars and the parents just buy 'em another to wreck again (happened to 2 of my co-wprkers on the same day - rained real hard and stupid California teens don't know how to drive in the rain apparently). Chaps my hide because when I was a teen I had to buy my own shit and drove stuff like $50 Plymouths.

So, rant over, get your daughter in a 3rd party Drivers course (not school-related) - money well-spent IMO.
                                My daughter got her license and saved up her money from working 5 days a week in a doctors office and bought the car herself. It is a $1300.00 1995 Dodge Neon. She is also paying for the increase in our auto insurance and she is paying to fix the car. Many of her classmates have brand new cars or what they call a $5,000.00 bomb.
                                I gave her a $1500.00 limit on what she could spend on a car.
                                Regarding whether or not it was her fault.. of course it was. She got a ticket for following too close. My guess is that she was either fiddling with the radio or the phone or just not paying attention.
                                My son slid on black ice a few months ago and hit another lady in the rear. That was when I used my Allstate "get out of jail free card" which is awarded to drivers who are accident free for a number of years. This one is gonna cost me and I am just praying we don't get sued. There was virtually no damage to her car and she has no insurance or registration so hopefully this will just go away. Under my current financial and economic conditions.. I really can't handle anymore stress.

Comment

Working...
                                X