No announcement yet.

question about a car accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you are doing it all right by the way your lil girl got on the road. That is THE way, good work man. More people need to be like you.

Yeah, your rates will go up a lil... Just for getting the cite on her record even if they dont have to shell money to those mopes she bumped.

Don't sweat the lawsuit, they will NEVER get above the amount you're insured for. "IF" they can even get a lawyer to take the case, they "might" get a couple 3-10 grand best case scenario (IF they can document injuries) for them just to get them to go away and leave the company alone. You'll hardly know it's happening other than maybe a deposition for your girl.

You'll be fine bro, no worries. Just happy your girl is safe and not hurt. She'll learn a lesson here regardless and probably be a lot more attentive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
      Sounds like you are doing it all right by the way your lil girl got on the road. That is THE way, good work man. More people need to be like you.

Yeah, your rates will go up a lil... Just for getting the cite on her record even if they dont have to shell money to those mopes she bumped.

Don't sweat the lawsuit, they will NEVER get above the amount you're insured for. "IF" they can even get a lawyer to take the case, they "might" get a couple 3-10 grand best case scenario (IF they can document injuries) for them just to get them to go away and leave the company alone. You'll hardly know it's happening other than maybe a deposition for your girl.

You'll be fine bro, no worries. Just happy your girl is safe and not hurt. She'll learn a lesson here regardless and probably be a lot more attentive.
      Thanks bro. I am always telling my kids about my first car. A 1968 Dodge Dart that was $500.00. I saved for a year buy it and another 6 months for the insurance for it. I wrecked it in a week and my dad told me that I would have to find a way to fix it myself. Thats how I learned to wrench cars. My sisters first car was a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 with a push button transmission. I paid $50.00 for it because the radiator was blown. We connected the upper and lower hoses together bypassing the radiator and she drove it for a week until I found a radiator at the junk yard. She drove that car for at least a year. Kids are under alot or pressure when their friends are all getting new cars for their 16th birthdays. My daughter is still very upset about it. She is a very emotional sensitive girl. She hasn't driven much since because she is scared. Thats a good thing I think. Now she knows how serious driving really is. I told her.. imagine if it was a person that you hit instead of a car? What if it was a lady pushing a baby carriage?

Comment

It could have been terrible in MANY ways... What if it was a light and she blew it and "she" got slammed by something big. This was just a small accident and maybe a blessing of a wake up for her. She'll keep this in mind forever and it will reflect in her driving I'm sure.

Just keep doing what you're doing with her, sounds perfect to me.

Comment

glad your daughter is o.k., that's the most important thing. so the biggest issue is already in the books. step 2, being that it was not a bad accident and no injuries to anyone, and with no legality on the side of the people she hit, i don't think their case will hold much water at all. then again i can't honestly tell you what will happen, just thinking clearly over here as to what should be the case, which is dismissed.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Let's face it, this kind of thing can happen to anyone. You look away for just a fraction of a second while some doofus in front of you jabs their brakes on, and bam. Even those of us who are more experienced, and careful drivers can make mistakes. With a father like you John, I'm sure she is probably a more informed driver than most youngsters out there.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              I would echo what Vass & zeegler said about your daughter's (poor?) driving skills. Let this be a lesson to her, I hate hearing about all these kids 17-21 years old that wreck cars and the parents just buy 'em another to wreck again (happened to 2 of my co-wprkers on the same day - rained real hard and stupid California teens don't know how to drive in the rain apparently). Chaps my hide because when I was a teen I had to buy my own shit and drove stuff like $50 Plymouths.

So, rant over, get your daughter in a 3rd party Drivers course (not school-related) - money well-spent IMO.
              I can list off 9 people who go to my school who have totalled brand new cars and got new ones bought by their parents. What's worse is most of them wreck them street racing and trying to show off. It's quite hilarious for me actually.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                I can list off 9 people who go to my school who have totalled brand new cars and got new ones bought by their parents. What's worse is most of them wreck them street racing and trying to show off. It's quite hilarious for me actually.
                It certainly is funny if they are the only ones that suffer the consequences. The problem is, it won't be long before one of them kills an innocent bystander. They should lose their licenses. Up here in Canada, the police have come down hard on anyone suspected of street racing. Unfortunately, the laws they have brought into effect are very poorly laid out and the police are basically throwing the book at anyone who commits a violation that falls under the new laws. They are upholding the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law. They need to use more common sense. A 40-something family man driving a minivan is probably not street racing, but under these new laws, could be charged, lose his vehicle, and drivers license just for speeding.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It has been over a week and the person my daughter hit hasn't called my insurance company to file a claim. No contact at all.

Comment

I'd tend to think if they were pursuing it further, you'd have heard at least "something" by now...

Comment

I hope you are right.

Comment

Sounds like everything is going to be ok.
                        Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                          Sounds like everything is going to be ok.
                          We just got a call fron our insurance agency today... 3 weeks after the accident. We are being sued. They want pictures of my daughters cars damage. I repaired it the same night. Throughout the last few weeks I put a new hood on it even though it really didn't need one. That was the only damage. Cost me $140.00 total. This sucks big.

Comment

Take a sledge to it, then delete this post!

If you don't have an attorney, it might be best to retain one just to look after your interests. However, I fully believe that the insurance company will try to settle it without going to court. Have a cocktail or three, enjoy your weekend, and I'll bet a seafoam green Strat that everything is gonna work out fine! Chin up my friend!
                            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                              Take a sledge to it, then delete this post!

If you don't have an attorney, it might be best to retain one just to look after your interests. However, I fully believe that the insurance company will try to settle it without going to court. Have a cocktail or three, enjoy your weekend, and I'll bet a seafoam green Strat that everything is gonna work out fine! Chin up my friend!
                              You'll be ok man. Let your insurance people handle it. It'll all work out. Don't get all worked up over something you really don't have much control over. What's done is done..it's an accident. One occurs every half a second..you'll be fine..Relax!

This could've have been MUCH worse.. Be greatful it wasn't. Try to focus on that instead.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Actually the less damage to your car the better. It indicates that the wreck was not substantial. All the same SG is right. They will probably cover medical bills and give them 1,500. I was rear ended and my car was totalled, the guy's car that hit me was totalled, and the SUV I ran into because he hit me so hard had 3,500 worth of damage to it. I got the cash to replace my car, medical, and 1,800 for the trouble. Insurance companies are not in business to be screwed. This person will have to put someone on retainer to get more cash. Given the damage of the car and other circumstances of the wreck they will probably not draw the attention of a lawyer that will get them much more than what the insurance company will settle for anyways. Relax have a beer I am sure you will be cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X