question about a car accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
    Actually the less damage to your car the better. It indicates that the wreck was not substantial. All the same SG is right. They will probably cover medical bills and give them 1,500. I was rear ended and my car was totalled, the guy's car that hit me was totalled, and the SUV I ran into because he hit me so hard had 3,500 worth of damage to it. I got the cash to replace my car, medical, and 1,800 for the trouble. Insurance companies are not in business to be screwed. This person will have to put someone on retainer to get more cash. Given the damage of the car and other circumstances of the wreck they will probably not draw the attention of a lawyer that will get them much more than what the insurance company will settle for anyways. Relax have a beer I am sure you will be cool.
    That's pretty much what happened with my MVA in 2005 with my wife driving the Focus with my son in the car. They paid for the property damage of the vehicle which was nearly 7K, and the ER visit for my kid to get checked out, and hosp bill, covered a rental while my vehicle was getting fixed. ..and we just got a settlement of $1200 a couple months ago. This is from 2005..so it goes to show how long they drag crap out. The other party claimed resposnibility immediately and yet it took four years to be done and over with. That's parr for the course. Don't worry.

My lawyer handled it all. I didn't do anything other than just take care of my own biz.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

+1 - don't worry, that's why you have insurance.

I served on a jury a couple years ago that covered almost the same situation. One girl bumps another girls car while they were lined up trying to get into the school parking lot, the one that was hit claims whiplash.

Allstate had an AWESOME lawyer, the other folks had 1-800-DOUCHEBAG for counsel.

Needless to say, the "aggrieved" were ferreted out as the money-grubbing asses they were, and they dropped the case before we could even finished the day's deliberations...
      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

The thing that worries me is that the girl didn't have insurance and the car wasn't registered. That means she had to get an attorney.
        I don't know crap about this type of stuff but my inlaws are telling me that a lawyer wouldn't take her case unless there was going to be a large lawsuit.

There was not much damage to my daughters car. I banged out the hood and straightened the radiator support a little. The girl she hits car only had a scratch on the bumper. That is what the police told my daughter. The reason they took her and her 2 kids to the hospital is because its mandatory to do so if you are in an accident with children under 10 in the car. Thats what the firemen told us.
        I am sure she is looking for a payday. I am surprised she could sue at all considering she was driving an unregistered motor vehicle with no insurance.
        Why would a lawyer take a case like this? My guess is that even though she now has an attorney, it is in the fact finding phase and that hopefully the women is just seeking compensation for her trip to the hospital and maybe she is trying to get money for the impound charges. I am going to try not to worry about it. My daughter is devistated over it. She was crying again tonight when she found out. She can't understand why we are being sued.

Comment

Let your insurance company handle it.
          I can guarantee they have better lawyers than this chic could afford.
          -Rick

Comment

Yeah, as long as you have uninsured motorist protection on your policy, this will be the insurance company's problem. Hopefully it is also mandatory where you live. Accidents are why you pay for car insurance.

Tell your kid that while she was at fault for the accident, and it was probably avoidable with more care and experience, it was still an accident. ( def. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss.) She wasn't out to maliciously ram someone.

The problem with driving when you have little experience is you assume other drivers are sane and will do logical things so you relax and let your guard down. Once you've driven for 5-10 years you realize that most drivers are batshit crazy assholes and you pay attention at all times.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The thing that worries me is that the girl didn't have insurance and the car wasn't registered. That means she had to get an attorney.
              I don't know crap about this type of stuff but my inlaws are telling me that a lawyer wouldn't take her case unless there was going to be a large lawsuit.

There was not much damage to my daughters car. I banged out the hood and straightened the radiator support a little. The girl she hits car only had a scratch on the bumper. That is what the police told my daughter. The reason they took her and her 2 kids to the hospital is because its mandatory to do so if you are in an accident with children under 10 in the car. Thats what the firemen told us.
              I am sure she is looking for a payday. I am surprised she could sue at all considering she was driving an unregistered motor vehicle with no insurance.
              Why would a lawyer take a case like this? My guess is that even though she now has an attorney, it is in the fact finding phase and that hopefully the women is just seeking compensation for her trip to the hospital and maybe she is trying to get money for the impound charges. I am going to try not to worry about it. My daughter is devistated over it. She was crying again tonight when she found out. She can't understand why we are being sued.
              yep...she's looking to scam a payday. A lot of people do that insurance fraud bullshit with the 1-800 ambulacce chaser lawyers who dont charge unless they get a settlement..why rates are high. Its a minor accident and I'm sure your insurance company will eat their lunch.

When I got hit a few weeks back and $5k damage to my car when people were asking me where my car was after seeing the rental and I told them the story I was surprised by some folks saying I should have sued and even faked injury. I said I just want my car to look like it did when I left for work that morning, I wasn hurt or anything...the mindset of a lot of people is 'get somethin for nothin' even if it means being a dishonest douchebag
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                yep...she's looking to scam a payday. A lot of people do that insurance fraud bullshit with the 1-800 ambulacce chaser lawyers who dont charge unless they get a settlement..why rates are high. Its a minor accident and I'm sure your insurance company will eat their lunch.

When I got hit a few weeks back and $5k damage to my car when people were asking me where my car was after seeing the rental and I told them the story I was surprised by some folks saying I should have sued and even faked injury. I said I just want my car to look like it did when I left for work that morning, I wasn hurt or anything...the mindset of a lot of people is 'get somethin for nothin' even if it means being a dishonest douchebag
                I hear you on that. A while back a lady hit me from behind really hard. Most of my friends were telling me to call a lawyer and get a big payday. I didn't because I wasn't injured. Same thing happened to my wife.
                5 years ago my daughter got bit pretty bad by a dog down the street. Again, everybody was crying lawsuit... lawsuit. I believe its bad karma to fake an injury. A lady I used to work with got hit from behind in her saturn by a van. The only damage to her car was a cracket tail light lens and a little dent in her back bumper. Because she weighed almost 400lbs she broke the seat and ended up with a reclined bucket seat. She had a prior back injury from about 10 years earlier. She didn't intend on suing but my boss told her that she should because a large company with lots of cash had hit her. She contacted an attorney. The first thing he told her was to start going to the doctor and get a neck and back brace. He also told her not to do any physical activity and to take at least 2 days off from work a week. Eventually.. he told her to quit her job. This was all to shore up the lawsuit. She sued for 5 million dollars and after almost 5 years of faking injuries and the court case was settled. She ended up with $750K. She retired to Arizona and bought a big house. I'll never forget that. It still burns my ass today.
                Oh yea.. I forgot to mention.. she sued Saturn too and won that one because the seat couldn't handle her 400lb body.

Comment

thats fucked up Jonh. Integrity, some people dont have any I guess. Karma wins in the end eventually for those folks....
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    I hear you on that. A while back a lady hit me from behind really hard. Most of my friends were telling me to call a lawyer and get a big payday. I didn't because I wasn't injured. Same thing happened to my wife.
                    5 years ago my daughter got bit pretty bad by a dog down the street. Again, everybody was crying lawsuit... lawsuit. I believe its bad karma to fake an injury. A lady I used to work with got hit from behind in her saturn by a van. The only damage to her car was a cracket tail light lens and a little dent in her back bumper. Because she weighed almost 400lbs she broke the seat and ended up with a reclined bucket seat. She had a prior back injury from about 10 years earlier. She didn't intend on suing but my boss told her that she should because a large company with lots of cash had hit her. She contacted an attorney. The first thing he told her was to start going to the doctor and get a neck and back brace. He also told her not to do any physical activity and to take at least 2 days off from work a week. Eventually.. he told her to quit her job. This was all to shore up the lawsuit. She sued for 5 million dollars and after almost 5 years of faking injuries and the court case was settled. She ended up with $750K. She retired to Arizona and bought a big house. I'll never forget that. It still burns my ass today.
                    Oh yea.. I forgot to mention.. she sued Saturn too and won that one because the seat couldn't handle her 400lb body.
                    Lazy, fat bitch!!
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Don't sweat it for a moment bro. This is a minor situation and you won't likely even know much of this, as your company will deal with it, and maybe your girl will have to make a statement or deposition as to what happened. Insurance companies get this a thousand times a day across the US.

you're likely insured for somewhere up to 150/300k. Not like they'd get more than a couple grand and that would be just to get them to go away. In court with a judge, they'd get shit (especially with no insurance/and their illegalities of being on the road) but the Insurance companies would have to pay lawyers to be there. So, cheaper to give them a couple grand to go away.

It will be simple and nothing for you or your girl to worry about. Business as usual man. Any 1-800 lawyer will write letter for whatever scumbag and see what they can get a third of for an out of court settlement. Happens every day, no biggie. It's why our isnurance is so high tho.

Maybe next time, the dirtbags will pull their unregistered/uninsured car out in front of a semi and get the dirt nap. F-ing loser scum fucks....

Comment

Working...
                      X