All hail the Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All hail the Queen

Well April the 30'th has arrived and with it the national celebration we call "Queen's day."

Queen Juliana and her husband Prince Bernard as photographed in the fifties.
    The "Queen's day" celebration started in the fifties, both as to celebrate the birthday of our then Queen Juliana and as a celebration of freedom. This year however Queen's day will be a one off because today would have been the day that Queen Juliana would have been 100 years old.

Queen Juliana in the nineties.

So why is it that Queen Juliana even after she handed over the crown to her oldest daughter, our current Queen Beatrix, is still held in such big regard by the Dutch? Well for one thing Juliana wasn't really what you could call a typical monarch. Her father Prince Hendrik, taught her how to ride roller skates through the long halls of the royal palace and later when Beatrix was born she insisted on changing the diapers of her baby girl herself. Juliana also was an avid bicycle rider and later when she stepped down and Beatrix became Queen, Juliana happily rode to the local drug store on her bicycle to get groceries, insisting that people address her as "Madam" and not as "Majesty" Her attitude of "I might be the queen but I'm your average normal next door woman too" was something that people happily embraced and remember her by, she opened herself to be the mother of all Dutch people.

Juliana and Bernard riding a tandem bike in the thirties, prior to Juliana becoming queen
    She was the Queen among Queens for us Dutch people. She died in 2004 and is still missed by the Dutch people who saw her as the grandmother or a wise aunt they never had.

Queen Juliana and Princes Christina about to ride a bike like any normal mother and daughter.

So in honor of the 100'th birthday of our dearly departed Queen let me sing.

Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de Koningin.
    Oranje boven, oranje boven, leve de Koningin.

i wish we get rid of our royalty waste of tax payers money
    "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

What did Michael Caine say? "2 things I cant stand are racial intolerance and the Dutch."

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
        What did Michael Caine say? "2 things I cant stand are racial intolerance and the Dutch."
        I don't know what Caine had against us but I'm pretty sure that the nutcase who ruined Queen's days today would have agreed with him.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/eu...ef=mpstoryview

This is nothing to laugh about.

Comment

Wow, that's random. Do you think he was trying to hit the bus? If so he missed it by a mile.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            Wow, that's random. Do you think he was trying to hit the bus? If so he missed it by a mile.
            What the latest reports say, the thing was deliberate. The driver, 38 Caucasian male had every intention of hitting the bus, evident from the footage is that his car had been badly damaged from hitting the fences and people, so it's possible that that damaged the Car's steering. The guy driving the car is currently in the hospital, his reasons behind the attack are not yet known but he has no ties to terror organizations.

Yup Queen's day 2009 is one for the history books, Unfortunately not for the reasons us Dutch men would have liked it to go into the history books though.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/curre...h-queen-attack

So sad though.

Comment

That's messed up - I guess there was noe security detail making sure something like this didn't happen? That bus should have been surrounded by armored Chevy Suburbans and police Hercules squads in vans - and air cover. Where was the air cover?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                That's messed up - I guess there was noe security detail making sure something like this didn't happen? That bus should have been surrounded by armored Chevy Suburbans and police Hercules squads in vans - and air cover. Where was the air cover?
                Air cover was doing a flyby of a famous statue for a photo op

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                  I don't know what Caine had against us but I'm pretty sure that the nutcase who ruined Queen's days today would have agreed with him.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/eu...ef=mpstoryview

This is nothing to laugh about.
                  Wow, I just saw this on the news. Small world. Oh, the Michael Caine line was from one of the Austin Powers movies, silly stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwtt View Post
                    i wish we get rid of our royalty waste of tax payers money

Dude, the monarchy is the biggest tourist attraction Britain has! They might irritate you but the royals make money for your country and amploy a lot of people in your tourist industry.

If that wasn't so, they probably would have been gone by now.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

This made the cover of the New York Post today.... couple days late I think, huh?
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        This made the cover of the New York Post today.... couple days late I think, huh?
                        Not really, it happened yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                          Not really, it happened yesterday.
                          Feels like longer.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                            X