What guitar next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitar next?

So far I have an Epi Les Paul Custom 1988 and a Jackson DK2M (Crimson Swirl) 2008. These guitars are miles apart in looks, frets, feel, and tone, which is why I love both of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to get next? Having a different tone and feel are are far more important that looks to me, but as you can tell from my previous 2 purchases, I'm not prepared to spend a great deal on any one guitar.
    Last edited by KBDkaTana; 05-02-2009, 06:34 PM.

tele?
    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Get a Strat.

Comment

Tele and strat seems obvious, but for what reason? Whats different about them?

Comment

fender standard fat strats the new ones look nice in blue or white with the maple or roewood your choice lol

Comment

The question is: what do you need your next guitar to do?

If you're playing live and you need a backup, it should be similar to one of the other guitars - i.e. if you're playing live with the DK2M, you probably need another floyded strat so you can pull off the same stuff.

If you're just playing in the bedroom (nothing wrong with that) then you need to figure out what kind of features you want and what you want to do with it. Maybe you want a 7 or 8 string. Maybe you want a tele for playing country stuff, etc.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Teles aren't just for Country. Marylin Manson is far from Country, yet John5 uses one almost exclusively.

However, as was stated otherwise, figure out what you're going for - tonal versatility for the sake of tonal versatility? Different brands and models for the sake of having different brands and different models? Do you want traditional tones (vintage 50s through classic 70s) and modern rock tones (80s-current)? It seems like all you're missing to get that assortment is a Standard Strat - 3 singles, vintage trem, classic Fender neck, etc or Tele (single bridge and neck, or single bridge and neck hum, or hum bridge and single neck, or 2-hum - take your pick).

You can also go for a Gretsch Electromatic (import), a Variax 500/600, or a PRS import. All are within that price range.

However, Jackson offers a variety of models each with their own tone and feel - the DK and SL will be similar - major difference being neckthrough vs bolt-on and slightly different body size, but otherwise nothing as drastic as neck profile - but the Rhoads, KV, Warrior, and Kelly will each have a different overall feel and tone.
              There's also older models like the Fusion, which is a "Strat" shape with "Les Paul" scale length.

Or you can go for a new USA Charvel, or one of the older Charvel Model series.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Teles aren't just for Country. Marylin Manson is far from Country, yet John5 uses one almost exclusively.
                LOL - I knew I'd sucker someone in with that! You've got one of those paisley teles tucked away somewhere, don't you Newc?
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I'd also say Strat. It will have single coils, which you don't have just now. I'd personally get one with a humbucker in the bridge though, with a coil split.

Or perhaps an SG.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Squier Vintage Modified Thinline Telecaster

Check the reviews on Harmony Central

Just an amazing guitar, for very cheap money.

I took mine in Shoreline Gold.

KILLER guitar in every way.

And, a whole 'nuther set of tonal options for ya!

Last edited by nhspike; 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM. Reason: just learning to spell over here... it's fun!
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                    X