Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper owens play my game kicks ass!

Just heard play my game and loved it!
    Download it now if you have not heard it yet... You wont be dissapointed! JEFF LOOMIS SMOKES on his track
    Last edited by \m/HELLRAISER\m/; 05-20-2009, 04:30 PM.

just heard it kind of sounds like black label society i dig it
    Last edited by gotwtt; 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM.
    "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Jeff Loomis is playing on Ripper's new stuff? I thought Bruce Kulick was doing it, along with John Comprix although I've not really looked into it.
      Ripper's a great singer, I was listening to the Beyond Fear album today, looking forward to the "solo" album.

Just found this, some awesome musicians on this:
      http://www.kiss-related-recordings.n...pperowens.html
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Just noticed Tim's also in band with Richard Christy and Steve Digorgio. That's on top of touring with Andreas Kisser, Dave Ellefson and Jimmy DeGrasso.
        Oh and Malmsteens band.

How the fuck can one guy do so much?!

Comment

Everyone's on Tim's record. I even think Rob Halford is playing the kazoo on the song "I scream, you scream, we all scream, for ice cream" !!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I listened to about 3/4 of it and I gotta say I find it a bit dull and not very memorable. The lyrics are really bad. The guitar playing overall is good but nothing is grabbing me. I'll give it a few more spins. I didn't care too much for Beyond Fear. Scream Machine is a killer song but the rest of it sounded a bit like a Disturbed inspired band. Heavy but no real meat or depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
              I listened to about 3/4 of it and I gotta say I find it a bit dull and not very memorable. The lyrics are really bad. The guitar playing overall is good but nothing is grabbing me. I'll give it a few more spins. I didn't care too much for Beyond Fear. Scream Machine is a killer song but the rest of it sounded a bit like a Disturbed inspired band. Heavy but no real meat or depth.
              That's just my broseppi's Comprix writing style no matter what band he's in. His first band Spawn was very typical generic 90's style thing, but it was OK. Ripper actually wrote much of the BF stuff on guitar. His ideas anyway, and just gave them to John Comprix.

Funny, John and I got to BS'n and actually mentioned writing together for a EP or something. I already have so many songs/ideas that he really likes and he always wanted to work with my singer/bud Ty. They went to the same school together, and Tim looked up to TY after hearing his Soundgarden tribute band. Which inspired his band Seattle..also trying to sing SG. Well, that's not his natural vocal range or kinda voice really.

Tim is a great guy. I loved what he did in Winters Bane, and Jugulator..he lost me with Iced Earth tho, even tho he did a decent job. But in all fairness, I was years into IE before he joined, and loved their formula with Barlow. BUt BF really disappointed me because he complained of the juvenile lyrics that Tipton wrote, and I thought what he did on WB's Heart of a Killer was really cool. So, I was expecting something a little ummm.. "deep"...NOT! The lyrics are completly laughable and their NOT intended to be..like a band such as Zimmers Hole.

Tim's refined himself lately and fits so well with YJM's OTT style. That was due to so much great feedback with their collaboration on the Ozzy Tribute..which was great! My wife can't stand Tim's voice..she acknowledges he can scream with the best of them, but relies on that way too much (more than any singer I can think of, including Adam Lambert) . But his singing voice can be very nasily, pitchy and has this "quiver" thing I'm so in tuned to. It's not vibrato, it quivers like a Metal version Stevie Nicks at times. When he hits a flat note he actually holds it. But when he shines it's great despite his awkward moments. I really like his work with Yngwie. I didn't think I would, but I must say it's my favorite Ripper performance ever...by far. That cover of "Abigail" with the RR all stars was very cool too.

On another note, Clevo-John's Judas Priest Tibute band singer sounds much more like Halford than Tim. Trust me, he would have been in Judas Priest in a heartbeat in '96. Right place..right time.

I kinda feel for Tim, he's seems to get bounced alot and ALL know what happens with Yngwie singers..they're like Spinal Tap drummers. I KNOW the freindship/partnership between Tim and Comprix will always be there. I hope they put out somethinmg stellar..but for the love of all things unholy. I'm hoping for a little more creativity musically, lyrically..Hell if John likes my riffs like he says he does..he can have 'em. I also have a book of lyrics..I LOVE writing lyrics. He's welcome to 'em. I don't want $$ , just my name in some credits will do.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think most here have "been there and done that" sort of mentality and that may be a bad thing or could be a good thing.
                Either way, we all know what our ears hear musically.
                If it doesn't show up then we can it, were done with it.

I think Tim put forth a solid effort vocally and an overall pretty good production.
                He showed some growth and maturity musically on this CD.
                I'm sure it wasn't only a pleasure to work with so many different players but a learning experience as well.

With that said, nearly every song sounded the same musically.
                After listening to the first two or three songs that's pretty much what the rest of it is. With the exception of a couple of tunes at best, nearly every song had the same crunch grit sounding distortion. Like each guitarist that had a chance to showcase said, "nah, those settings will work for me leave it like it is."

Tim like many unfortunate yet good Hollywood actors trying to carry the film by his or her name and hollywood star power. Many times quickly learn they don't have enough star power to carry and make the film a success. It doesn't do all that well at that box office.

This CD just doesn't have enough substance (song writing) and name power to carry it. Granted tons of players played on this but when I listen to it I can't distinguish nobody. Maybe it's me maybe I'm missing the point.
                I didn't feel anything when I listen to it, you got have a vibe a feel going for ya. If it did, I missed it.

The only player/writer/innovator these days that impressed me, he can shred and write with feeling and that's Mr. Loomis. Sorry, nothing personal nor against the Tim fans here, but I call them how I see them. The Best CD I have acquired was his (Mr.Loomis) solo project.
                That CD blew me away. So much feeling on/in that CD.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                  I think most here have "been there and done that" sort of mentality and that may be a bad thing or could be a good thing.
                  Either way, we all know what our ears hear musically.
                  If it doesn't show up then we can it, were done with it.

I think Tim put forth a solid effort vocally and an overall pretty good production.
                  He showed some growth and maturity musically on this CD.
                  I'm sure it wasn't only a pleasure to work with so many different players but a learning experience as well.

With that said, nearly every song sounded the same musically.
                  After listening to the first two or three songs that's pretty much what the rest of it is. With the exception of a couple of tunes at best, nearly every song had the same crunch grit sounding distortion. Like each guitarist that had a chance to showcase said, "nah, those settings will work for me leave it like it is."

Tim like many unfortunate yet good Hollywood actors trying to carry the film by his or her name and hollywood star power. Many times quickly learn they don't have enough star power to carry and make the film a success. It doesn't do all that well at that box office.

This CD just doesn't have enough substance (song writing) and name power to carry it. Granted tons of players played on this but when I listen to it I can't distinguish nobody. Maybe it's me maybe I'm missing the point.
                  I didn't feel anything when I listen to it, you got have a vibe a feel going for ya. If it did, I missed it.

The only player/writer/innovator these days that impressed me, he can shred and write with feeling and that's Mr. Loomis. Sorry, nothing personal nor against the Tim fans here, but I call them how I see them. The Best CD I have acquired was his (Mr.Loomis) solo project.
                  That CD blew me away. So much feeling on/in that CD.
                  Great post..I couldn't agree more!! Actually Comprix and Loomis has been friends for years. They already knew each other before I met him thru our mutual friend Paul (Anithesis w/Curran Murphy, Godlyke Status, Dark Arena, Attaxe) ..yeah another one that does wayyyy too many side projects.

Another fagula that's been asking me to work with for 15 years...but I stole his singer, even tho he'll always deny that.

Comment

+1 Soap.

I think Ripper's voice sounded the best in IE, or at least on songs like Don't Tread on Me and 10,000 Strong. He does rely on the scream too much and when he doesn't scream, his voice isn't all that great. He's trying to inject a lot of melody on this record and he goes overboard with the harmonies and they just don't stick with me.

A friend of mine said he's like an American Idol winner, but metal. Trying to find his way.

Comment

BOOPS!
                      I should have titled this thread JEFF LOOMIS KICKS ASS ON TIM OWENS PLAY MY GAME!

Comment

Originally posted by \m/HELLRAISER\m/ View Post
                        BOOPS!
                        I should have titled this thread JEFF LOOMIS KICKS ASS ON TIM OWENS PLAY MY GAME!
                        .....http://whatever.scalzi.com/2009/03/0...wens-syndrome/

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                          d tons of players played on this but when I listen to it I can't distinguish nobody.
                          I'm on my first listening and I picked out Jeff Loomis immediately, despite not being the world's biggest fan of his stuff.
                          Bob Kulick seems evident too so far.

Comment

I've been listening to this a lot now and I'm loving it. The guitar playing is out of this world and, for the most part Tim's vocals are perfect. There's the odd song where he overdoes the screaming, and the lyrics aren't great (the song with Jeff Loomis, while having awesome guitar work, has really annoying vocals and piss poor lyrics) but in general this is a fantastic album.
                            John Comprix's solo is easy to pick out, apparently all his solos sound the same - I think he's actually played the same one as one of the BF solos. Pretty disappointing in this context really, since the rest of the solos are top class.
                            Doug Aldrich smokes. The songwriting is a step above the BF album, and it's just overall a great album.

Comment

Working...
                            X