new game in your local record shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Vinyl records have made a comeback. My local record store rocks, and I buy some new stuff on vinyl once in awhile! Here's their website.
    www.vvinyl.com
    Toejam is right. Vinyl is making a comeback and also if you are into more DIY labels/bands vinyl never left. The greatest thing is you can usually get a 12" for like $10 when the CD costs $12 or $14. Much of the time for smaller bands you can even get LPs for $8 or so.

Makes it seem kind of ridiculous when even nobodies like me can press 1000 CDs for $900-$1200, and CDs in store sell for $10-$15 each. And just think, those big labels aren't pressing 1,000, they're pressing tens or hundreds of thousands. I bet at those rates a full packaged, pressed CD costs 25 cents max.

Pressings of 500 or 1000 (CD, LP, 7", 10" etc) are usually the smallest pressings pressing plants will do. A place called United does pressings by the 100, but aside from that every other place I've ever heard of/contacted presses 500 minimum.
    Last edited by nsubulysses; 05-29-2009, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      I've never seen Nickelback in the metal section over here. If they put it there, the NB fans would never find it, having to head in to the scary unknown of black tshirts, long greasy hair & dudes who could've stood to steal a can of deodorant on their way to the store.

Stores on your side of the pond must classify it differently over there.
      Gotta love JB 'eh

Still, at one around here there was a real cute chick that stocked the metal section for a while. I wear deoderant and my hair is NOT greasey!!. Still looks shit and I still stink though, cause otherwise I wouldnt be a metalhead

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
        Toejam is right. Vinyl is making a comeback and also if you are into more DIY labels/bands vinyl never left. The greatest thing is you can usually get a 12" for like $10 when the CD costs $12 or $14. Much of the time for smaller bands you can even get LPs for $8 or so.

Makes it seem kind of ridiculous when even nobodies like me can press 1000 CDs for $900-$1200, and CDs in store sell for $10-$15 each. And just think, those big labels aren't pressing 1,000, they're pressing tens or hundreds of thousands. I bet at those rates a full packaged, pressed CD costs 25 cents max.

Pressings of 500 or 1000 (CD, LP, 7", 10" etc) are usually the smallest pressings pressing plants will do. A place called United does pressings by the 100, but aside from that every other place I've ever heard of/contacted presses 500 minimum.
        There's something magical about going to get your master vinyl pressings that can't be replicated by biffing something out for CD yourself. You have to go to a professional.
        I remember going down to London to Porky's Prime Cuts and getting Porky to etch stupid sayings and in-jokes on the lead out. Then we went down to the pressing plant in East London, but I was completely pissed by then and fell asleep.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Nibblecrack
          My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
          Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Working...
          X