Daddario Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daddario Rant

I've had a set of Ernie Ball 11s (Beefy Slinky) tuned to E on a 24.75" for about a month maybe, and the high E snaps. No biggie, I've some Daddarios lying around.

Swap done, 2 days later, oh no, high E snaps. I've a spare, no biggies.

After that, oh no, a day and a half later the fucking thing snaps... again. Here's the shit-bomb: I've no spares left, but I could get a few packs, not like it's a big deal, y'know. The only thing is, the local shop, they just pretty much carry Daddarios :ROTF:.

How come if EBs last so fucking long, with a metal tipped pick, the Daddarios are so fucking cheap?

Hope the shop will have EBs or Elixirs or anything other than Daddarios, but I doubt it. Ah well.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

I've used D'addarios for about 25 yrs now, on all sorts of guitar, with tortex, celluoid and metal picks. Never had a problem with them breaking. Have you tried checking the guitar to make sure there isn't a sharp spot rubbing on it?

Comment

I was getting mad at D'Addario's snapping all the time too and switched to Super Slinky. Haven't snapped one since.

Comment

Been using DiAddario 9-42 for the past 14 years or so... I havent broken a string in years, and I bend the living hell out of them.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Sounds like there's something wrong with the guitar.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Breaks just over the neck pup, so no sharp spots there. Never broken EBs, DRs, GHSes, all kinds of the lil buggers. Daddarios just cant seem to hold up for me, and the break is more of a tear going laterally, sooo.... I still blame the brand.
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I've used D'addario's personally and in the shop for over 20 years now without any problem and converted many customers into D'addario users. As a few others have said there is a burr or something either on a saddle or your pick that is busting the strings. When strings start breaking often its usually a problem with the guitar, the pick, or the operator.

Comment

What type of bridge? Maybe that section of the string is getting damaged when you string it up if it's coming through a stopbar, string through ferrule, tuner post (if you're reverse-loading a Floyd), or Strat trem block?

I used to use D'Adarrios (mostly cuz you got a free sticker int he package ) but didn't like the way the plain strings felt under my fingers (almost square-like), and didn't like how frequently they broke. Even the wound strings would break for no apparent reason.

Been using EB SuperSlinkys for about 20 years now and the only time I broke one was on my LP Standard on the first chord change of Rock And Roll whenever we did it live - and the D string broke! You know how hard it is to play that song without a damn D string!?

Oddly it broke at the nut. The GRAPHITE nut.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I haven't had a D'Addario string break on me in the last 4 or 5 years, and the last one was on my acoustic because the nut slot was too tight and I overtightened the tuner with the string stuck.

Same for my buddy. He was using Elixirs on his electrics before and he had them break so often that it totally negated the "longer-lasting good sound". He switched back to D'Addarios and has been happy ever since.

That said, use the strings that make YOU happy!
                  D'Addarios just happen to work well for me and my buddy.
                  http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I've used D'Addario strings for the last 10 years. I get about 2 gigs and a rehearsal out of them. I only ever snap the A or D string, always at the saddle. No sharp burrs or anything, just the way I play, too heavy handed with pinch harmonics and erratic vibrato.

Comment

I found all Ernie Balls to be terrible after one or two days use, they don't stay in tune and they feel and sound like shit. Dadarrio always lasted me on my Soloist, but I happen to break my E string a bit on my Strat with them.. I think it has something to do with my strat though..
                      Originally posted by horns666
                      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Daddario Rant

> Except for when I had a fairly cheap LP copy as a kid,I've never really had a problem breaking strings. The problem then was the saddles had burrs in them. I eventually replaced them with new steel,and never broke another.

My problem with D'Addarios has always been quality based. I took my cheapo strat copy and went to my first formal lesson ever,and the guy went to tune mine up and said the high E felt like it was square. I eventually understood what he meant. I bought 2 more sets of the same gauge (.009-.042),and he noticed the same thing. I started buying Gibson strings in the same set.

Later on in high school,once my tastes had developed,I had a hard time getting the only local store that sold strings to order Dean Markley's,or anything else,so my grandfather started going to the original Akron Music downtown and sending me a care package every few months,with wildly varying brands. The one thing that ran true was every time I tried the XL's,they sucked.

I eventually settled on the "custom light" set,.009-.046,and used all kinds of brands.

I haven't bought a set of D'Addario's in 20 years,and I won't. Currently,I use Blue Steels. Tommy D.
                        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          I used to use D'Adarrios (mostly cuz you got a free sticker int he package )
                          Ooooooh!!! Do they still come with stickers? I love stickers - I put them all over my guitar-tool box! Stickers were the main reason I used Dean Markley Blue Steels for so long - and they sucked - cryogenericly frozen my ass.

edit:

Originally posted by TommyD View Post
                          Currently,I use Blue Steels. Tommy D.
                          I wrote the above before I read yours - wasn't meant as a slam on you personally - rock on, bro!
                          Last edited by Grandturk; 05-26-2009, 09:41 AM.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

The shop should be able to sell you just a high E. The local shop here keeps them in a drawer behind the counter.
                            Scott

Comment

You need to place the blame elsewhere.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X