Good bike for a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
    Just going to be riding park trails with the kids - no off road and no competition. If I like it and get good, that's another story.

So, would you tell a person who never played guitar who wants to learn to buy a First Act or a USA Jackson. Same scenario, except it's for a beginner cyclist.
    I'd tell them to get a used Jackson Professional series from the early 90s

Check out the used selection at some of your local bike shops.

My current bike is a circa 1970s Kia (yes, that Kia). It's ugly, has shifters down on the frame instead of on the handlebars, and needed a new seat. But it works fine and cost less than a new Walmart bike.
    Scott

Comment

You don't have to spend a ton of money for a good bike. And, this is very important, if you're just gonna cruise around the neighboorhood, you don't need a road bike or a hybrid. Matter of fact, I'd get a bike with as few gears as possible. Now don't throw rocks at me because I hate Wal-Mart too, however, not all their bikes are junk. They have some decent "cruisers" that will serve your purpose nicely.
      "POOP"

Comment

my bike is the best. get a beach chopper.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
          .....Assume there is no one to let me "borrow" a bike to learn on.....
          Which one would you like me to lend you, dude!

Comment

The silver cruiser (with the headlight) would be the perfect bike for him to learn on!
            "POOP"

Comment

GET A METAL BLOODWOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!:

http://www.danscomp.com/211342.php?cat=FRAMESFSD

See, it's strong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCiIOTlgpE

Comment

Actually, I would not recomend getting any kind of bike, I just had surgury on my wrist and my right hand may never be the same again. wheels, wings, they are all unatural and trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Pete, I am an avid rider. heck.. I ride anything with 2 wheels. Bottom line with a bicycle is that it has to be comfortable and as light as possible. Riding a decent bike is so much more fun than riding a boat anchor that is the wrong size for you. Go to a bike shop. You should be able to walk out for around $300.00 tops with a bike that fits you and fits your needs. Department store bikes are 2 wheeled dust bunnies.

Comment

even though department store bikes are usually junk...my mountain bike had held up pretty good for the past 2 years (Schwinn Traverse).

Comment

I'm with some of the others on the bike shop issue. You get what you pay for. I would go with a lower end Fisher/Trek/Giant/Specialized/Haro, etc. over the top of the line Walmart bikes. Something else noone mentioned (that I noticed) is fit. Walmart bikes are generally all one size...medium. A shop will fit you to a bike. I'm 5'9 and a "true" medium. I have a medium Gary Fisher that fits like a dream and a Specialized FSR in large that I can make work. AND......the single most important apparrel to purchase, even above a helmet, is riding shorts.
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

really? I thought a shirt covered in sponsors' logos was the most important apparel purchase
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Fit is a good concern. That kept me from going to a big box store and getting a bike. I am only 6'1" but those bikes in the stores were to small. I didnt go high dollar though. I got a Specialized Hardrock XL in 2006. It could stand to have the bottom bracket replaced and the pedals got toasted, but overall it has held up well.

Comment

Just like guitars, decent bikes start around $300-400. Just my opinion.

If you really are going to spend $200, buy a used name brand rather than the complete fucking JUNK you get at Walmart.

Comment

Working...
                            X