Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other members serious vinyl lp collectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first LP was Number of the Beast so I came in late.

I only have about 25 LPs, but some cool ones. Ace's High and Wasted Years picture disk. An Armored Saint pre-release. Some of my LP's I still haven't got into CD form yet.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      A man after my own heart..and the same age too. I'm sure we both started at the same time. Well, it was "official" for me when Van Halen came out in '78. But by that time my best friends uncle had a nice collection of approx 5000 LPs including Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush..So besides Hendrix, Frank Marino was my guitar hero just before VH was released. Then I remember debating who was the better guitarist in high school..Eddie VS Rick Emmett's solo in Rock N' Roll Machine. But my father actually planted the seed with Black Sabbath when I was 9 years old..and Iron Butterfly, BOC, Spooky Tooth, Steppenwolf, Uriah Heep, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple, Mountain, Lucifer's Freind, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd..ect. My dad wasn't a muscian but he had the whole "image" thing being the prez of The Sons of Satan, and The Coffin Cheaters outlaw MC (1968-1975) . That fucked me up for life! I started buying records in '77. But the rush I got from VH 1, I was on a life long bent to find more of that shit. It's a drug.

I bought everything/anything that looked "metal", and discovered some greatest stuff and some real crap..just as you did. No computers and shit to samle anything..just tape trading, word of mouth of like minded friends, and cool cover art sold more records than anything. I got to about 2500 LPs, but I kept "weeding" thru them, only keeping the ones that meant something to me for whatever reasons. I held out with Vinyl until 1995, because all the new stuff coming out wasn't availuable, including imports. Money didn't mean anything to me if I wanted a certain piece of music. That's when I was forced to buy cassettes..yeesh. It was either that or buy a CD player. In 1995 my wife bought me my first CD player, and my first CD was Yngwie's new Magnum Opus for Chrstmas. I was excited of the way the cd sounded at the time. No matter how anal I am with my stuff (Major OCD) , I always had to replace my favorites because I worn them out. No crackles, skips and pops. So I was obligated to replace ALL my vinyl with CDs..that wasn't easy or cheap. Many of them were expesive Japanese imports. So that's the course I stayed on. Got rid of ALL my records except Van Halen's first..because that fucker ruined my life with this shit. It's green/gray of mold.

So I've been buying cds and cultivated a system that optimized the sound of them. I actually have the first 1983 Fisher system I got from my bro-in-law. Including the EQ and Tower speakers that make it sound so damn crisp in my octogon shaped music room. I have them perfectly tweaked and positioned to where it sounds like a giant set of headphones at maximum level. I don't hear the complaint about any digital compression BUT I do NOT like most remastered stuff where everything is boosted to hell and, maybe that's what people are talking about. I do prefer recordings of the original analog source. Some remasters are decent, but I do prefer the first issued stuff. (Maiden's castle releases, and Preist stuff for ex.) What I do with CDs is burn a copy to use, so I can keep the original disc prestine. I'm closing in on 6000 CDs..NOTHING but metal from all genres. I'm retired, so I have nothing but time to listen to them and keep weeding through them to always make room for the constant barrage of new stuff I really want. I'm also a complete-ist. if I love a band I MUST have ALL their stuff with the exception of the 90's sell-outs like Metallica, Queensryche, Crimson Glory, Dokken, Ratt are the obvious ones..why keep the crappy ones? That space is reserved ofr just killer and no filler.

What pissed me off is I was buying this shit when metal wasn't "cool" for nearly 15 years with no domestic releases and paid big money for mediocre imports, like Whitesnake's "Restless Heart for example..$50 bucks when that came out. I have a few boxes of some obscure out of print stuff from the early 80's I had since new and prolly could part with. But I don't sell here or on Ebay. I may make a list and post it on my thread here @ Casa Del Fuggems if anyone is interested. I don't have a certified paypal account. So I may sell stuff in sets going by genre power, death, black, classic. These guys are my bro's so I wouldn't expect much at all to anyone who really wants them by check, money order, whatever. But I'm pretty established where I do alot of trading in town and they're pretty generous giving me trade-in value, because..well..I'm awesome.

I don't want to exceed 6000 cds. just stuff I truly love. 6000 cds takes up ALL my space in my listening room. That room is for listening to music and reading only..that's it..no amps, guitars TV, PC..ect.. just my music in a sterile fuggin' room ..I don't even eat in that room. That's my metal shrine. It is sacred..My house looks likes a gothic medievil church anywhoo..30 foot ceilings, antiques, big gargoyles and all. Yeah, that cost me a fortune too..but it's all part of the package..

I'm not sorry I got rid of my vinyl..I sold it for pennies on the dollar during the mid 90's. There's a few things I do miss that I can't replace. Limited "signed" pictured discs..I had some pretty weird stuff never availuable on cd, cassette and ect. Randy Rhoad's "Load Up"..Eddie and Brian May's "Star Fleet"..and a bunch of quirky early 80's metal that sounds dated these days..I still have enough of that tho.. Adam Bomb, Black N' Blue, Icon, London, Lemans, Heaven, KIng Kobra, Y&T ect..stuff on Brainstorm records..

Some of the rare stuff I have is Anancrusis "Suffering Hour" the first Angel Dust, Vicious Rumors "Strangers of the night"..ALL the Hexenhause stuff, Apocrypha "The forgotten scroll"..OH BTW,..ALL Joe Stump's stuff including all 4 Reign of Terror cds. He autographed them for me while we were talking for hours, comparing our silver chains, and discovered we love the same players such as Glen Drover, and Olaf Lenk of At Vance..We were both so surprised we knew this shit and really hit it off that night..He's and awesome guy and player. I'm sure he'd remember me (The metal cop in cleveland) . He came to see Glen/Eidolon at the first BW & BK who used our rehearsal room to practice for the show. Joe played for less that 10 people one night at the Bottom Line, but he put on a show for 10,000 people. He's a an awesome dude and player..please tell him I said Wassup!!
      Post your list Bro for sure, I would be interested in the Black, Death and whatever metal LOL

As for Frank Marino, you and I WOULD get a long great. Marino is one of my earliest influences and I belong to his forum as well

He is sort of a prick but on the other hand, he is sorta cool

Personally, its all about the music so he can be as pricky as he wants

Yes, Joe is a cool dude, have not seen him in years now and he has a lot more stuff out, some was only available in Japan

By my count, I have 7 of his CD's and I know he's released a few more since I bought the last
      2001 Les Paul Standard
      2010 Explorer '76 RI
      1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Any other members serious vinyl lp collectors?

> Even before the house fire,I didn't have anywhere near that much,just 6 square milk crates full.

The guy that owned the local import shop for years has close to 25k at his house,and 2 storage units big enough for a car FULL. He sells imports and rare stuff on Gemm.com.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

12000 LPs!! That's much. I've got about 500 LPs, but the collection is growing each month. My LP collection mainly consists of underground/alternative/indie rock, which I guess everybody at JCF hates :p

Comment

Working...
          X