Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I have this raccoon breaking into my back porch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? Is that an online store? I already paid the 55 bucks... probably 2 or 3 months ago now.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/

some of the shit's pretty cheap though
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here are the traps

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...trap&Submit=Go
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Used to feed one on the back patio if I stayed up late enough.
          He would come by and stand there looking all pathetic, like a bum begging for change.
          Very passive but he still creeped me out.

He would struggle with goldfish crackers. Paws meant for digging, not picking things up to eat.
          Was so funny tho, crunch crunch crunch.

Comment

Split an Oreo and give him the frosty side first, then the other half. It's funny how quick they learn

Give one a Saltine cracker (square ones) and watch him nibble it into a Ritz

And 10 miles ain't shit. They have stomping grounds of 100 square miles on average.
            He'll be back, and bring friends.

And we're finally whittling down the skunks here the old-fashioned way - shooting them. All this "haul them off" bullshit has resulted in overpopulation to the point where there's at least two being run over per day in a 20 mile radius. TWO PER DAY. I'd say there were enough out there that they're not going to be on the Endangered Species list anytime soon, so aim to please.

It's nice to think that if you gas one or poison it they'll just fall asleep and dream happy dreams, but in reality their insides are on fire and they die in great pain. Shoot them in the head and they're out like a light. Besides, if they live to crawl away and die, they're gonna do it under your house.

I actually thought about calling the local taxidermist - skunk-fur hats would sell. Especially the smaller ones that fit kid's heads.

But nah.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile View Post
              Used to feed one on the back patio if I stayed up late enough.
              He would come by and stand there looking all pathetic, like a bum begging for change.
              Very passive but he still creeped me out.

He would struggle with goldfish crackers. Paws meant for digging, not picking things up to eat.
              Was so funny tho, crunch crunch crunch.

Annoying or not you gotta love those pics...they were here long before we were
              Let go, let Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                And 10 miles ain't shit. They have stomping grounds of 100 square miles on average. He'll be back, and bring friends.

Well they haven't been back, so I am satisfied.
                "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                  My Dad used to catch whatever was annoying him in a have a heart and then shoot it while it was trapped. He rarely missed in such circumstances.

Now he and I are both pussies. Don't know what happened as the years went by. I corked a groundhog that was terrorizing my Mom down at their place a few years ago. Popped him with a .223 from the bathroom window. Fucker was flopping around like mad. My Dad heard the shot & went running onto the back yard with one of my old little league bats. By the time I got there he was hammering this thing's head as hard as he could, and he's in pretty good shape. The ground was so soft though that it wasn't doing the job.

So there I am screaming at my old man, "HIT IT HARDER!" and hes' going, "I AM!". Finally he ran into the shed, got an 8x8 post and pile-drove it into the fucker. That finally ended it.

I took a look at where I got him- It was a really decent shot, not that it was from any great distance. Went in top of the neck, blew out the entire throat area, big mess. Somehow he kept going.

We were really rattled over it, and I felt horrible for weeks, like really bad. I won't hurt a thing anymore. Not sure why that happened. When I was a kid I used to cap blue jays and shit like that all the time. I wouldn't even think about it now.

As we age, our pussy-streaks grow. Really weird.

That's not to say that I wouldn't do it again- The thing had built its tunnel under the deck and was aggressive towards my Mom any time she went into the back yard- at one point it just sat there I guess making noises at her, blocking her route back into the house. So you do what you gotta do, but man, I felt like real shit about it.

V
                  aren't you more of a pussy for wanting to kill defenseless animals then not to?

Comment

dp
                    Last edited by broken_fusion; 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Look at what I'm dealing with!!

Edit. I guess you cant post embedded videos?
                      Last edited by broken_fusion; 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                        Really? Is that an online store? I already paid the 55 bucks... probably 2 or 3 months ago now.
                        Yes, it started as mail order only, but now they have a website and a bunch of B&M stores. I've used a Have-a-Heart trap and I have to say I like the $20 cheapy from HF--the cage holes are big enough to fit the barrel of a .22 through. Some of HF's stuff is junk, but some will do the job. You have to experiment and definitely save your receipt.

Comment

I just had to have my roof replaced and a bunch of cedar siding replaced from raccoon damage. It's been that way for a while but when the contractor came to do the estimate for wind damage he said half of my damage was from critters. My insurance co covered both so it's all good, but I had to cut down a couple of trees and trim a couple of others that they were using to get up there. They can still climb up the walls, but will go somewhere else if it's easier.

There's also a BIGASS groundhog living under my shed too! I'm going to have to kill him b/c I tried to catch him last year and he's as big as the entire trap. He ate a hole in my shed, and has a big hole dug out under it. I hate to kill him but he's too big to mess with.

You can actually hold them up in the air by their tail and they can't bite you, but you have to shake them. I know it sounds stupid, but my parents live on a farm and a neighbor had me hold one for him many years ago. If you stop shaking them they will curl straight up and bite, but as long as you hold them away from you and shake them they can't.
                          Last edited by Axe_V; 09-23-2009, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                            aren't you more of a pussy for wanting to kill defenseless animals then not to?

So we should let animals rule and run us out of our homes just because they lost the evolutionary lottery and didn't get opposable thumbs and firearms? Fuck that. I don't torture animals and I don't kill them just for shits and giggles. When I shoot a skunk it's to keep MY house livable for MY family.

Humans out-rank animals, in case you forgot.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              So we should let animals rule and run us out of our homes just because they lost the evolutionary lottery and didn't get opposable thumbs and firearms?
                              Newc talking "evolution?" I'm frightened.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                                There were racoons in queens and long island, they'd come out the night before the morning the garbage would be picked up. You'd come home stumbling from the bar around 4 a.m. and there they were tearing into the garbage and making a mess.
                                Arrogant fukks too, they'd look at you with a "hey this our garbage get the fukk out of here kinda look" , unbelievable.
                                This is my experience with them also. You could walk right up to them and they would just look at you as to say "What?" I ran one over with my corvette once at like 3 am back in the day. Not on purpose. When they are "in season" you see them as roadkill all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X