No announcement yet.

I enjoy being in the studio, but . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoy being in the studio, but . . .

Recording sure can be a bitch sometime. The illustrious Under Eden studio (aka UEHQ) started out in our vocalist's basement hallway and bedroom a couple years back, which is where we recorded everything but drums for the first half of our next album. He moved into an apartment, but I bought a house with a finished basement, so everything moved to my house. Same gear (guitar rack, cab, mics, interface, guitars, pickups, etc.) with the only obvious difference being the room where the cab resides. We got through all of my parts, but decided to go back and tweak a couple of songs from the earlier sessions because we weren't satisfied with how a few parts were actually played. We'd written down all the settings prior to moving the gear to my place, except for the power amp and mic preamp levels. It shouldn't be a big deal to get those dialed back in.

Wrong. Holy jeeze, we spent no less than four hours fighting with the tone for five minutes worth of recording. All the time spent during the first two hours ended up being a complete waste when I discovered that my bypassed Rocktron Multi-Valve was very much "hot" and set to +4db rather than the -10db we'd written down. Starting over with our adjustments, we still couldn't get the right tone with that guitar (basswood Dinky with a Duncan Invader in the bridge) despite everything being the same, right down to the kind of strings and picks. The solution? An old mahogany Hamer Californian Elite with a PAF Pro. Normally, these two guitars don't sound anything alike, but one way or another, the tone was almost an exact match.

The good news is that I'm down to the last couple of changes on the final track. The bad news is that now we have to repeat the process for my brother's rhythm parts on the same two songs before he can move on to five new songs. Due to conflicting schedules, it'll be two weeks before he can even get started. Ugh.
    sigpic

recording is about the most stressful thing I can think of related to music.

I did some for our band demos of just covers to keep the bar gigs coming and it was like nails on a chalkboard for me, every little screwup is so audible, god. really humbling experience. but we got through it.

and yeah the tone chase and all the changes from your live tone settings was just crazy. fuck.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Hell. I'm still not finished recording my band's debut album... after almost 2,5 years...
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I despise being in the studio...the experience is great..but the process will make you pull your friggin hair out!

Comment

The ambient texture will change everything tone wise. In other words the space you record in is an integral ingrediant to your tone! If you go straight into the board you don't have that problem but then you don't get that great amp sound.

Comment

Working...
          X