Thinking about getting a Harley Davidson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting a Harley Davidson

It's been a while since I've had a bike and now I've got major GAS for a Harley. Are any of you guys/gals familiar with the Sportster line, especially the Nightster? Any suggestions/recommendations on other brands/models? No "crotch rockets."
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

I've had my Harley for 10 years now and have never had a problem. Are you looking at buying new or is a used one ok ? Just asking 'cuz you can get a used softail or dyna for not much more than a new sportster. Everyone I've known thats bought a sporty has outgrown it pretty quick and you start hearing " Man, I shoulda got a .... "

I try to stay away from the Harley dealer as I'm really wanting to get a new Road King. After paying for my wedding, money is a little tight, so looking at a new bike would just be a tease.
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

I used to have an '81 Superglide...best bike ever!! Of course, they don't make them anymore. I've been out the game for quite awhile and am not familiar with current models at all.

Comment

Sportsters are great if you are not big. I am 6'1" and when I rode my buddy's Sportster I made it look like a toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
          I've had my Harley for 10 years now and have never had a problem. Are you looking at buying new or is a used one ok ? Just asking 'cuz you can get a used softail or dyna for not much more than a new sportster. Everyone I've known thats bought a sporty has outgrown it pretty quick and you start hearing " Man, I shoulda got a .... "

I try to stay away from the Harley dealer as I'm really wanting to get a new Road King. After paying for my wedding, money is a little tight, so looking at a new bike would just be a tease.
          New or used, I have no preference. The Harley dealer near me has a 2009 Nightster for $8800.

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
          Sportsters are great if you are not big. I am 6'1" and when I rode my buddy's Sportster I made it look like a toy.
          I'm 6'4" and weigh about 300lbs.
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Do what you want, but I wouldn't buy a Harley. I've owned a couple over the years and, unless you're into paying through the nose for a name.....

Don't get me wrong, they are good bikes, but they're overpirced as hell. You can get a Vulcan for about half the price and still have a great bike. Or if you want to stay with USA made bikes, Victory makes some good stuff.

I know of some die hard bikers that are getting away from Harleys because mainly because it's become so cool to own one that the prices have gotten stupid.
            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

I have an '03 Sportster, and for me, it's great...but I'm 5' 9", and 160 lbs. I think the Nightsters are badass, but given your height, it might be best to look into a Dyna or Softail. Also, the newer Sportsters with the rubber-mounted motors are probably a lot better for highway riding than mine, but I don't know first hand. Overall, I think Harleys are dependable, and have finally started depreciating, so used is probably a good route to go.

Comment

At your size you are going to make most bikes you get on look small.
                Last edited by Jason1212; 06-18-2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Don't get a sporty, you'll hate it, stick with a Fatboy or some other softail. ~K~ has a Night train I believe. I just sold my FXSTD over the winter, but I loved it, wouldn't hesitate buying another in a few years. Just had a few close calls and with 2 young kids, didn't want to take a chance. it was pretty bad ass tho, Eerie Dess paint, 250 tire, 4"open belt, Legend Air, 7 degree rake trees, etc etc.

Get a softail, you'll be good to go.
                  Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                    It's been a while since I've had a bike and now I've got major GAS for a Harley. Are any of you guys/gals familiar with the Sportster line, especially the Nightster? Any suggestions/recommendations on other brands/models? No "crotch rockets."
                    If youve got the cash for "the name" buy one.

I wouldnt. but I like those dreaded "crotch rockets".
                    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                      I used to have an '81 Superglide...best bike ever!! Of course, they don't make them anymore. I've been out the game for quite awhile and am not familiar with current models at all.
                      Jeri, they stll make the Superglide andthe Superglide Custom. The bike they don't make anymore is the Wideglide. It was unstable and therefore not a very good seller. Cool looking though.

Comment

If your hell bent for Harley I would suggest any bike in the Softtail family.
                        The Sportster and the Dyna will be too small for a guy your size. You will be cramped and by the time you spend the money to set it up for your size you would have spent as much money as buying a Softtail anyway.
                        If you aren't hell bend for Harley I would suggest the following bikes that are every bit as good.. if not better at 1/2 to 1/3 the price...

Honda VTX1300 or 1800
                        Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 and up (I ride a kick ass 1500 FI Classic) It looks exactly like a Road King and it ws a 3rd of the price.
                        A big Yamaha V-Star 1300 or bigger
                        Suzuki M109 or a Boulevard C90

Comment

Oh and BTW.... Harley's are more expensive to buy but all bikes are expensive to customize. Get something that has most if not all the features you would want.
                          My bike has everything I could ever want.

Comment

Is this a mid-life crisis thread becaue that would help with a specific mode recommendation?

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                              Is this a mid-life crisis thread becaue that would help with a specific mode recommendation?
                              you thinking Goldwing in mocha & creme, with cd player, trailer & matching helmets? The one with the seat heaters, heated handlebar grips & GPS?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X