No announcement yet.

Thinking about getting a Harley Davidson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen to these guys: Harley is just a name. You can get similar quality from Yamaha or Honda and maintainence is far cheaper. I recommend the V-Star line or a Honda VTX1300. Whatever you decide on, make sure it's comfortable enough to fit your body frame. Most cruisers aren't very large and you'll find your elbows and shoulders in a lot of pain on long rides.

When you're ready for a real V-twin, look into Ducati's.

...and for what it's worth, only eunuch's call 'em crotch rockets.

If you can make the trip, we have a custom chopper shop in Savannah. Low Country Customs. They can build a bike to fit you for a couple more grand than a standard Harley. From going to bike rallies in Savannah, everyone who does business with them has nothing but good things to say.

Comment

I have never been a fan of Harleys, but this sumbitch gives the Old Geez wood!
      "POOP"

Comment

Triumph has realesed some bitchin stuff in recent years.

Comment

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'm going out this weekend to begin my search.
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Whatever you get, take the following advice from my good buddies at DIRTBIKE magazine.

LIE #8: NOISE MAKES POWER

Not true. If it were, straight pipes would rule and the multimillion dollar aftermarket pipe industry would be replaced by a slight upsurge in hacksaw sales. Well-designed pipes make more power and sometimes those pipes are quiet. It's certainly possible to muffle a motor to the point where it no longer runs properly, but trust us, there are many more bikes that run poorly because they are too loud. Most of them are Harleys.

"POOP"

Comment

All I will add to this is that usually when someone really wants a Harley and buys an import because "Harley is just a name", usually ends up getting a Harley after a couple years riding the import. In the end, what did they really save financially?
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                All I will add to this is that usually when someone really wants a Harley and buys an import because "Harley is just a name", usually ends up getting a Harley after a couple years riding the import. In the end, what did they really save financially?
                Your logic is flawed because there are just as many of us that stepped away from Harleys becaue we got tired of paying through the nose for parts and service just because it's cool to ride a Harley.. Pfffft!
                Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM.
                Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                  Your logic is flawed because there are just as many of us that stepped away from Harleys becaue we got tired of paying through the nose for parts and service just because it's cool to ride a Harley.. Pfffft!

You make it sound as if parts and service on imports is cheap. The sissy bar for my Vmax was 400 bucks and the cheap plastic fly screen cost a small fortune. Service at my dealer at the time was 80 bucks an hour if I am not mistaken. The difference in price of parts and service is not really that much.

Also, I'd have to say that I don't think you will find many loyal H-D riders ditching their rides for imports. I did it once I will never do it again.
                  Last edited by StukaJU87; 06-19-2009, 09:19 PM.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah, Stukes, but how much of that is because of peer pressure from Harley-riding brothers?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      You make it sound as if parts and service on imports is cheap. The sissy bar for my Vmax was 400 bucks and the cheap plastic fly screen cost a small fortune. Service at my dealer at the time was 80 bucks an hour if I am not mistaken. The difference in price of parts and service is not really that much.

Also, I'd have to say that I don't think you will find many loyal H-D riders ditching their rides for imports. I did it once I will never do it again.
                      Exactly. when you buy an HD there isn't any plastic. Believe me.. metric bikes have alot of plastic chrome.
                      The parts for a metric bike are every bit as expensive.. if not more.. than a HD.
                      Now.. onto Marks comment about loud pipes don't mean power.
                      Sorry bro... can't agree with you on that one. The best performance pipes out there are for the most part pretty LOUD. I have a set of Vance & Hines Pro Pipes on my Vulcan 1500 FI Classic. They are 2-1. They are pretty loud too. They are one of the best performing pipes out there. The difference between them and stock pipes is night and day. The pipes Mark is talking about are the el cheapo Drag pipes running no baffles. They aren't much better than riding with your brakes on!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post

I have never been a fan of Harleys, but this sumbitch gives the Old Geez wood!
                        Yea, its a nice bike but when you sit on one its so narrow and cramped it feels like your sitting on a bicycle. Also.. its expensive as all hell to add black forward controls and you can only ride 1 up unless you change the seat which changes the entire look of the bike. It also sounds like a turd with those stock mufflers. Not much better sounding than a scooter.

Comment

John, I'm an old dirt biker and "narrow" is very appealing to me. But you're dead on with your other comments. To me, it just looks like a badass old school scoot.
                          "POOP"

Comment

John, I think you might have misinterpreted my statement. For that matter, it was probably the fact that I wasn't clear. Yes, there are aftermarket performance pipes that are LOUD and do enhance horsepower. There are also aftermarket pipes that are quiet and perform much better than stock equipment.

I was aiming my comment at the fools who take their stock system and hack it up till it it's nothing but a straight pipe. It's obnoxiously loud and the performance is beyond lame primarily because once that pipe is modified, the bike will also need air intake and carburetor adjustments as well. Most of the time, those two facets are overlooked.
                            "POOP"

Comment

If you can afford the Harley, go for it. If you buy a good used one with less than 5K miles, you'll never lose any money as it will always hold it's resale value. Sportsters tend to be brutal on longer rides, and with your size, I'd go with a Dyna (Wide Glide, Super Glide) or a Softail. Your ass and your back will thank you on rides over 50 miles.

Vance & Hines are the pipe of choice for most riders - they produce a nice torque boost as well as a nice deep throaty rumble. Riding a motorcycle without loud pipes is about as exciting as riding a lawn mower. It's always fun to idle through a parking lot and set off a bunch of idiotic car alarms - not due to the volume of the pipes but due to the low rumble.

Last edited by joelayres; 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM.
                              You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                              You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                              --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                              --horns666 - 12/29/08
                              I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                              --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Depreciation is a real concern. My friend got his sportster new and had it for five years. When he sold it he got within a grand of the sticker price he paid for it. I doubt you can say that about a metric.

Comment

Working...
                                X