Thinking about getting a Harley Davidson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
    Depreciation is a real concern. My friend got his sportster new and had it for five years. When he sold it he got within a grand of the sticker price he paid for it. I doubt you can say that about a metric.
    I will agree with that one to a point. It doesn't mean that I don't think it's foolish to pay that much for a Harley though. Victory hold it's value pretty well too, I think it's the "Made in america" think just like with guitars.

One of the local shops here has a used Valkyrie that I've been drooling over. It may be time for me to trade up.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

My dad and bro have Uber-choppers and ALWAYS make money whenever they flip of them one. This includes Big Dogs, CMC, and Titans.

These are options..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

V-star 1300 for me. I ride with a bunch of Harley riders. They can't outrun me. At your size, you are waaay to big for a Sportster...in fact, too big for any of em. Harley's are physically small bikes. I've ridden just about everything out there and I just can't justify the extra cost of a Harley.
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Sportsters tend to be brutal on longer rides, and with your size, I'd go with a Dyna (Wide Glide, Super Glide) or a Softail. Your ass and your back will thank you on rides over 50 miles.
          The newer sportsters are all rubber mounted so this isn't the case as far as vibration goes. The newer sport holds up well and HP/weight ratio makes it a faster bike than the big bikes. You dont get as fatigued on the newest version. My wifes 96 883 vibrates like a mofo lol

I'm so sick of hearing the don't buy a harley, buy an import because Harley's are overpriced crap. I've owned both Hondas and Several Harleys and I won't go back to an import. Does it mean I think the import bikes are crap? Absolutely not, they are excellent quality bike but I do agree, way too much plastic!!

As far as the overpriced issue, last time I looked we were in a recession and there are awesome deals to be had in new and used HD's. The nice thing about the HD is the $ for $ they hold a much better value than the imports.

Now, lastly.. Pat's right, I ride an 03 Softail Nigthtrain as well as Stuka. While the sportster is a great bike, I think someone of your size will not becomfortable. When I had my 1200 the first thing I HAD to do was move the controls to a forward position. While I'm not tall in height (5'8") I have an incredibly long leg length (33"/34") and I felt a bit cramped in the position of my legs. I suspect at your height you may have the same issue.

I suggest either a Dyna Wide or the newer Softail Custom which I believe replaced the Dyna Wide. They have a decent leg position because they have forward extended controls on them. My N/T has forward controls but given the chance I would add a 2" extention to them just to get my legs straightened a bit more. This makes a lot of difference on a long ride.

As far as the "expensive" parts go .. The imports are just as expensive to reair and besides if you are buying new you can get a decent warantee on them. I bought my S/T in 2003 as a 100th Ann bike. I can tell you I haven't had one issue with it, the quality is top notch ...

good luck and happy riding ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by ~K~ View Post
            The newer sportsters are all rubber mounted so this isn't the case as far as vibration goes. The newer sport holds up well and HP/weight ratio makes it a faster bike than the big bikes. You dont get as fatigued on the newest version. My wifes 96 883 vibrates like a mofo lol
            My Wife has a 2007 883, and I can honestly tell you that if I ride it for any length of time (more than an hour) it totally kills my back, whereas my Low Rider is good for an all day run. The vibration is not an issue, but the Sportster is just a stiffer frame all around. We even added a very nice Mustang seat - it helped for her, but not me - but she only weighs 105. I'm a little north of that figure.
            You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
            You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
            --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
            --horns666 - 12/29/08
            I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
            --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Just stay safe on those folks. I just witnessed someone pull out right infront of a motorcycle 2 weeks ago and the motorcycle had no choice but to slam into them. If he were in a car he would have been ok and bitching how the guy pulled out infront of him, but instead he had to be taken away in an Ambulance ith a shattered leg. They don't call them donorcycles for nothing.

Matt

Comment

If you just have to have a Harley and are considering the Sportsters....might I suggest the Street Bob. Mini apes and a solo seat. Black denim would be my choice of color also. It's a really sharp bike and new they are only like 13 grand. You wouldn't look as large on it as you would the Sportster. I might've stepped on K's toes and I didn't mean to. My Vstar has no plastic...tank and fenders are all metal. I didn't mean to imply that Harley's are overpriced crap, merely that I couldn't justify the extra cost. Get what YOU like and to hell with everyone else. I wave at everyone on two wheels. As long as you are riding, that's what matters.
                I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  Whatever you get, take the following advice from my good buddies at DIRTBIKE magazine.

LIE #8: NOISE MAKES POWER

Not true. If it were, straight pipes would rule and the multimillion dollar aftermarket pipe industry would be replaced by a slight upsurge in hacksaw sales. Well-designed pipes make more power and sometimes those pipes are quiet. It's certainly possible to muffle a motor to the point where it no longer runs properly, but trust us, there are many more bikes that run poorly because they are too loud. Most of them are Harleys.

True but nothing beats riding through WalMart's parking lot setting off a dozen alarms! :ROTF:
                  Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson View Post
                    V-star 1300 for me. I ride with a bunch of Harley riders. They can't outrun me. At your size, you are waaay to big for a Sportster...in fact, too big for any of em. Harley's are physically small bikes. I've ridden just about everything out there and I just can't justify the extra cost of a Harley.
                    Especially if they don't use their throttles. Unless your 1300 is worked to the ballz or... the Harley riders you ride with all have 883's that need work... I find the above statement hard to believe. HD big twins and 1200 Sporties for that matter are fast cruisers. My bro-in-law had a mint V-Star 1300 classic and there is no way he could outrun any HD that I ever road. So much so... he sold his mine practically new 1300 V-Star an bought a a 2009 Dyna Superglide Custom. There is NO comparison in power between a 1300 (small twin) V-Star and a 1589 (big twin) Superglide. The 96ci Harley Big Twins are FAST. The 110ci's are even faster... not to mention the few year old 103's.
                    Regarding being physically small... have you sat on a softtail lately??? The Fatboy is anything but small. I ride a Vulcan 1500 FI Classic and if you didn't know any better you would swear it was a Road King. Sure, the Sportster and some of the Dyna's are on the small side but they are the entry level HD's. Have you sat on a Road King or a Street Glide or a Road Glide. How about a Heritage Classic? The only bike I ever owned that was bigger was a Honda Valkyrie.

Comment

you must go through bikes like you go through amps!
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        you must go through bikes like you go through amps!
                        I have only had 4 bikes...

Kawasaki Ninja
                        HD Sportster 1200
                        Honda Valkyrie
                        and I currently ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI Classic that is OPTIONED OUT!!!

Regarding amps... well.. you got me on that one!!

Comment

Hardley for Alvin?

Well, Alvin?

al-VINNNN? :ROTF:
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have had Harleys and I doupt I will go back.What I may get soon is a Honda VTX 1800f.I really like the import cruisers alot.I could not care what anyone thought about what I ride.Bikes aside.I really can't stand the attitute that 90% of the Harley riders give off.The I'm better than you because I spent 200x's more on my ride.The fact is most of those guys have been riding a short time and that was there first bike and they got sucked into the peer presure of getting a HD. I do like the HD Softail deluxe though and if I was to get a new HD that would be it, I just don't see spending $20000 on that bike when I can get a USED vtx for $5000 and put another $2000 into it to get it where I want...
                            H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X