I am slowly but surely turning into a shredder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am slowly but surely turning into a shredder

Well when caught with your pants down it's better to tell the truth. I never considered myself a really good guitarist but just today I was driving home from rehearsal with my bass player (who's also my younger brother) riding shotgun and we had Nightranger on the radio and I went "I could play that." to which my brother replied: "No, you and Jack (Jack T. "Ripper" our second guitarplayer) could blow these guys out of the water."

So how did it come to this? Well my first love of the heavier genre of music were Iron Maiden and their music required shredding and I still consider Dave Murray one of the biggest influences on my own style. Add Guns N Roses later in my early teens and you'll find my cutting my teeth on Slash' licks on the "Use your Illusions" albums for many hours when I was 17 and my uncooparative fingers just would have nothing of it.

And here I am 16 years later, having discovered eighties metal bands like Nightranger and L.A. Guns thanks to VH1 (in the Netherlands, bands like that never got that big as they got in the USA) and with the desire to be in a band like that I joined what eventually turned out to be Slavantas and finally all that wood shedding is paying off. I actually consider what Brad Gillis is playing as something that wouldn't be too hard for me to pull off. The 17-year old boy inside me is finally getting to the point he always wanted to be.

I'm not there yet though, I don't have the articulate picking and intonation down yet and I'm just yet discovering how I can make the most of a double locking trem, it's still a steep learning curve. Sweep picking is another thing that's still daunting. But with each rehearsal I get my solos down, I no longer play a different thing each time like I used to, I feel the patrens becoming second nature and I'm almost to the level where I can just close my eyes and wail away.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a self endulgent post but I'm pretty excited about my progress.
    Slavantas plays Slavantas at Nieuwe Nor Heerlen in support of Vengeance.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your progress and abilities, just be sure that your head continues to fit your body - meaning don't get Yngwie-itis! Congrats on your achievement.
    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
    --horns666 - 12/29/08
    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
      Nothing wrong with being proud of your progress and abilities, just be sure that your head continues to fit your body - meaning don't get Yngwie-itis! Congrats on your achievement.
      I suffer from the opposite of this. People say I'm good but I think I suck.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I'm somewhere between what Joel and Ben said.

I developed Yngwie-tits that people say are good enough to suck.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          I'm somewhere between what Joel and Ben said.

I developed Yngwie-tits that people say are good enough to suck.
          Ahhh - man-boobs! Can't say too much - I've got em' too.
          You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
          You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
          --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
          --horns666 - 12/29/08
          I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
          --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Better than Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson? Good luck with that. Not saying you can't get there, though. Get back to us after you perfect 8-finger tapping like Jeff, too.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
              Ahhh - man-boobs! Can't say too much - I've got em' too.
              MBS ..Que Joey Buttafucko..

Blaze..your singer looks like he's gotta pee..

That's a Sabbath riff...see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dHlL...om=PL&index=27
              Last edited by horns666; 06-22-2009, 05:36 PM.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

People tell me that I sing better than Uli Jon Roth.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, is the term "Slavantas" an actual word in Dutch? If so, what does it mean?
                  Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

good on ya for your progress, but you need to learn how to present yourself more adeptly.

better than Night Ranger, bwahahahahahaaahahaahaa. :ROTF:
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                      Just out of curiosity, is the term "Slavantas" an actual word in Dutch? If so, what does it mean?
                      It means "Big Hairy Balls On Your Chin".

I think.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

"Telly Slavantas"
                        "POOP"

Comment

Who loves ya baby?
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Where's my shoe polish, must be in the back of the closet next to my suit and tie ...
                            Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

I've been shredding for years, what's all the fuss about?
                              Shop office supplies, furniture & technology at Office Depot. For paper, ink, toner & more, find trusted brands at everyday low prices.
                              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                              X