Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An American design aircraft, built in Canada to Dutch specifications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An American design aircraft, built in Canada to Dutch specifications.

Within the annals of the Royal Dutch Air Force there's one plane that will always stand out, in both performance and heritage: the NF5.

When in 1966 the decision was made to replace the aging Republic F84 Thunderstreak and Lockheed T33 "Shooting star", the most promising replacement was the Northrop F5 "Freedom fighter" but when a delagation of Dutch pilots tried the F5 in the USA they found a few points that were not in their favor and Northrop aviation were unwilling to change the design to meet the demands for the Dutch Air force. But in Canada where the F5 was built under licence by Canadair they had no such obligations and were willing to listen to what the Dutch had to say. By that time, the Canadians already had modified the F5 platform to their own needs resulting in the CF5 which differed from the normal F5 by having more powerful engines, a wider fuselage to carry more fuel, different avionics, a tougher undercarriage and thicker wings to carry a bigger load. The CF5 was much more in tune with what the Dutch were after.

The Two seat version of the Canadair CF5 in flight.

In addition to the specifications that were in the CF5, the Dutch also wanted their aircraft to have different leading edge slats on the wings, improving maoeuverability, more simplified avionics, an arrester hook (a hook at the back of the aircraft meant to snatch up a cable at the beginning of a short runway, to stop the aircraift, so it could operate from shorter runways than the regular USA build F5) and a strengthened windscreen to prevent damage from bird hits. A deal was struck and the Canadians made 105 NF5 for the RNAF, consisting of 75 NF5A one seater aircraft and 30 NF5B two seater aircraft.

But in the USA Northrop aviation had been paying attention: perhaps the Dutch were onto something after all. The wider fuselage, tougher undercarriage, tougher windscreen, arrester hook, the leading edge slats on the thicker than normal wings and the more powerful engines made for a damn powerful performer, there was money to be made here... The result was the official Northrop built version of the NF5: The F5E Tiger.

The Dutch flew their NF5 aircraft until the early nineties when they were replaced by the General Dynamics F16 "Falcon" the NF5 airframes were then sold to Greece, Venezuela and Turkye who are still flying them today.

But the tale doesn't end there, when in the seventies Northrop produced the prototype of what would eventualy become the F18 Hornet they had a mock up aircraft done up in the colors of the RNAF. Seeing as how the F18 basically is a scaled up version of the F5E the assumption was made that the Dutch given the fact that they partly inspired the specs of the Hornet would probably first inline to buy it. But the truth was different RNAF never bought or flew the Hornet, opting to buy the General Dynamics F16 instead.

Bah..mere tinker toys!!!!!

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh yeah, a computer grapic isn't considered a "tinker toy" to you?

La version original del album KRAFTWERK - THE MIX (1991)The original version from the album KRAFTWERK - THE MIX (1991)

Comment

No, actually the UFO that my family and I observed along with the Cleveland Police Department was quite real, and very humbling!! It was extremely large and horizontal in the western sky. It disappeard and re-appeared even closer in a vertical posistion in the eartern sky. You could actually see the "battle ship grey", almost a cement color craft that was illuminated by the brightest and vivd colors I've ever seen. It then vanished just as it appeared.

I work at Cleveland Hopkins Intenatinaol Airport, along with the FAA..I assure you we are not alone. These sightings are commonplace, and never show on radar.

They certainly exist..there is COUNTLESS NASA footage of UFO, and signs of alien life. We are are discovering more and more with the technology we have. Germs always existed we just developed better microscopes to know their existence. The same thing applies with space exploration. We just discovered their deep oceans on one of Saturn's frozen moons, and that there was many lakes on Mars about 3+ billion years ago.

I believe due to outlets such as youtube, this information will has already reached critical mass, and that our goverment will release this to the public soon. By that time most people already watched footage they'll disclose, and blow it off as "Oh I saw that already" . There has been UFO encounters in EVERY space assignment since the moon landing. The footage and dialouge tranmissions of astronauts and NASA's ground control is cut and dry and NOT altered or "covered up" in any way. Check out the "tether" incident for staters..pretty amazing stuff.

The truth will be revealed soon. They used to remove all of the NASA footage from youtubem but they couldn't keep up with people constanly posting them. Now they're all there for viewing.

I believe our advancements, especially in the last 50 years may be linked to our goverment's knowledge of superior beings. Possibly with their cooperation. Using their materials and technology. I believe we may be linked and some day we'll be advanced enough to morph with these beings without anyone's knowledge. That's my theory from what I've gathered. They're not disclosing something for a reason. The Vatican has investigated this with their own scientists and confirmed that there is more than we know about. Then Pope made his offical announcent that -God created everything including alien life- I alway thought disclosing this information may be a ginormous "cockblock" to religion, but the Vatican and the Pope already remedied that..with that simple statement.

Call me crazy..but seeing is believing. My wife, and family is no longer a sceptic and the local police, and witnesses were blown away as we were. To top it off, this obect was right above my home, and it looked big as a building. It actually resembled an actual illuminated building when it was vertical.

I've been obsessed reserching this stuff since and found very similair crafts that I witnessed. This was actually my second sighting in three days.

Yes, we have "tinker toys"..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"the only alien vessel I'm interested in is the one between Scully's legs"
          "POOP"

Comment

Yeah..I would welcome them and fuck 'em!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Yeah..I would welcome them and fuck 'em!!!

Hey that's a pic of Rsmacker, he's gettin down with the foreigner!!!
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I'm sure they'd like to explore Uranus, Bill.
                Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                  Hey that's a pic of Rsmacker, he's gettin down with the foreigner!!!
                  What the hell is he doing with my girlfriend!?!?
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                    What the hell is he doing with my girlfriend!?!?
                    I wonder....

Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

And so yet another thread is completely derailed...

God I'm getting so tired of that happening

Comment

If we didn't derail it, no one would ever respond!
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                          If we didn't derail it, no one would ever respond!
                          So please explain what's so funny because I don't get the joke here.

Comment

Lighten up Ajax, it's just humor. Go with the flow. Don't take this crap too seriously or you're gonna end up like Cygnus or worse yet, Phil Collins.
                            "POOP"

Comment

Thanks for a cool bit of aviation history, Blazer. I love the F-18 almost as much as my favorite jet ever, the F-14 Tomcat.

Comment

Working...
                              X