Castlevania?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castlevania?

Anyone here a castlevania fan? I DO NOT play video games, except for castlevania. I still play cv pretty regularly, but have not picked up another game in 5 years. I have beaten EVERY game in the series. Anyone else a fan? I am looking forward to the Castlevania movie in 2011, which seems to follow "Simon's Quest" and its predecessor. Also a new game is coming out either late this year or next year for Ps3 and 360 called Lords of Shadows. I am glad, but it wont be like the other ones. Its 3d but it looks like a Gods of War clone. No dracula and no Belmonts, and it looks like its all outside. I want a Symphony of the Night 2 to come out. They teased about that once recently.
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Castlevania junkie here.

I've even got the "infamous" Castlevania64. I liked it, too.

Only like PS2 Symphony when I had cheats - don't like it on XBL Arcade

I like that they went back and did the Belmont origin. Those 2 games were great IMO.

Back when side-scrollers were all we had, they were fine, but we're in the 3D gaming age, and there's no reason to do it like SOTN or the others. Devil May Cry (first one) was what Castlevania 64 shoulda been, and is the blueprint all future CV games should follow. You have so much more freedom in a 3D world, and the classic enemies look even more fantastic in 3D. The FleaMan from SOTN is an even bigger PITA when he's got 360 degrees to hound you from

Only issues I have with 3D are when the camera has collision detection and the angle changes suddenly, which changes your control alignment, and it's usually just at the point where you have to make a difficult jump.
    The other thing I absolutely detest is locked camera controls - those points in a puzzle or activity where you can't move the camera to see the whole area, but it's locked, either in an overhead, 3/4 isometric, or "side-scroller view" mode. The last couple of CV games on the XB had that, and it drove me nuts.

But that's become the industry standard these days - even Wolverine has them both and they still drive me insane.

I don't see a CV movie. Granted they've done nice things with comics lately, but unless it's 100% CGI and done by Square/Enix (Advent Children) or do it 3D toon style (Appleseed redo), I have no hope for it.

But I did see the new CV game trailer and it does indeed look nice.

Can't.
    Wait.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Castlevania junkie here.

I've even got the "infamous" Castlevania64. I liked it, too.

Only like PS2 Symphony when I had cheats - don't like it on XBL Arcade

I like that they went back and did the Belmont origin. Those 2 games were great IMO.

Back when side-scrollers were all we had, they were fine, but we're in the 3D gaming age, and there's no reason to do it like SOTN or the others. Devil May Cry (first one) was what Castlevania 64 shoulda been, and is the blueprint all future CV games should follow. You have so much more freedom in a 3D world, and the classic enemies look even more fantastic in 3D. The FleaMan from SOTN is an even bigger PITA when he's got 360 degrees to hound you from

Only issues I have with 3D are when the camera has collision detection and the angle changes suddenly, which changes your control alignment, and it's usually just at the point where you have to make a difficult jump.
      The other thing I absolutely detest is locked camera controls - those points in a puzzle or activity where you can't move the camera to see the whole area, but it's locked, either in an overhead, 3/4 isometric, or "side-scroller view" mode. The last couple of CV games on the XB had that, and it drove me nuts.

But that's become the industry standard these days - even Wolverine has them both and they still drive me insane.

I don't see a CV movie. Granted they've done nice things with comics lately, but unless it's 100% CGI and done by Square/Enix (Advent Children) or do it 3D toon style (Appleseed redo), I have no hope for it.

But I did see the new CV game trailer and it does indeed look nice.

Can't.
      Wait.
      While I do COMPLETELY agree with your points about the market today, I think they should still make them. That was there niche. I believe Order of Ecclesia did well, so at least still keep doing those. That won the 2008 ds game of the year. But that 2d side scroller, that is THEIRS and THEIRS alone, they almost have a monopoly. And I have one little correction to make. I forgot... but i have not beaten the two ps2 ones yet. In fact i haven't even PLAYED COD and i am like 6 percent into LOI, but I am actually starting those tonight! I just beat magician mode and the warrior mode (i forget if thats the real title) on Circle of the moon. That and SOTN are my two favorite followed by portrait of ruin, order of ecclesia, dawn of sorrow and aria of sorrow, in that order. And you are right, compared to the "newer" games likes Devil May Cry 3, the CV is lacking. But looks like they are going for the God of War type thing now anyways.
      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

And about the movie, its going to be actors, not cgi, but i think it wont bomb. It was originally supposed to be out this year, but got postponed due to the writers strike. Now they scrapped the script, and the original director, (he was TERRIBLE, but I cant remember his name) and they are working on a new one, but thats good, because they were having trouble getting the whip right, so more time will help. If Indiana Jones can do it, SURELY Simon Belmont can do it.

Comment

Super Castlevania IV was one of the games I played most when I was a kid (who am I kidding I still do - on the Nintendo Wii ). The music in that game is fantastic.. I always get hung up in music, wether it's in a game, a movie, on the streets or wherever.
          As long as there is music I don't need drugs or anything else to get euphoric.
          Know what I mean?
          "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

never played any games in the series, but I am a huge fan of Castlevania soundtracks

Went so far as to learn the Gothic Metal version of "Bloody Tears"... awesome song

I also enjoyed watching the CGI cutscenes of the later games.

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

unless it's 100% CGI and done by Square/Enix (Advent Children) or do it 3D toon style (Appleseed redo), I have no hope for it.
              The team that did the CGI cutscenes for Devil May Cry 4 did an excellent job IMO... I would definitely watch a feature film made by that team.

- Leo.

Comment

Funnily enough, having been a gamer for...er...about 25 years or so, I've never played a single Castlevania game. I suppose I should.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm a big Castlevania fan. Can't give any love to Castlevania64 though!

Comment

Yea well, i dont really like ANY of the old nintendo ones, except the 3d ones. Everything from SOTN on was gold. Martinbarre, go buy a used copt of Smphony Of The Night (SOTN) on ebay, real cheap, like around $20 for ps1, OR if you own a psp as I do, buy the PSP castlevania, Dracula X Chronicles, because you unlock a FULL SOTN to play, which is what I did. Afterwards if you like it, try Circlf of the Moon (GBA). I am very vocal about my CV love, so sorry about my rambling extended posts.

Comment

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Needed a picture of alucard for another thread, and read the page out of curiosity. (scroll down to alucards "review" if you don't feel like reading it all though kirby's was funny!) and this actually could attest to the format for Lords Of Shawdows. Maybe not because hes a Vamp, but because effiminate male lead characters just arent selling anymore.

Comment

I LOVE Castlevania! I never got a chance to play the N64 version but my all time fave is Super Castlevania IV for the SNES. I still play it just for fun. I did Play SOTN for the Playstation I and thought it sucked... alot! Changing clothes and tunics and all that nonsense... it was too much like a RPG. Anyhow Here's a music vid from one of my favourite bands that does strictly NES game music The Minibosses! <- Great name and their only 'pro' video to date. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlQ46H6QII

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                          I LOVE Castlevania! I never got a chance to play the N64 version but my all time fave is Super Castlevania IV for the SNES. I still play it just for fun. I did Play SOTN for the Playstation I and thought it sucked... alot! Changing clothes and tunics and all that nonsense... it was too much like a RPG. Anyhow Here's a music vid from one of my favourite bands that does strictly NES game music The Minibosses! <- Great name and their only 'pro' video to date. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlQ46H6QII
                          Well, i agree that all that clothes changing is kind of dumb, and I dislike that in many games, SOTN still has great gameplay, which made up for it. Actually to be honest, I usually go through most of the games with out much equipped, just mainly weapons. Unless I find something cool, like mirror armor, or something that gets my attention, items and such usually slip my mind!:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                          X