Copyright Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright Advise

Ok I'll try and make this short and just cut to the chase. A local restaraunt wants my band to do a jingle for them. They wants Queens another one bites the dust but reworded obviosly to make it apply to the business. What sort of issues could come up by doing this? Also does it make a difference since it is basically a parody of the original? Thanks!

Don't go there.
    Even if you changed the words, you will still need permission to use the music.
    Parody for profit requires permission from the copyright owner.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Don't go there.
      Even if you changed the words, you will still need permission to use the music.
      Parody for profit requires permission from the copyright owner.
      I thought there was something where you do parody's without the owners permission?

Weird Al has mentioned something like that. He said that he doesn't need permission but he likes to ask out of courtesy.
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
        I thought there was something where you do parody's without the owners permission?

Weird Al has mentioned something like that. He said that he doesn't need permission but he likes to ask out of courtesy.
        Parody for profit/commercial purposes, requires permission.
        SCOTUS has already ruled on this in the past.

I guarantee Weird Al got permission because his lawyers told him he needed it.

Parody for the sake of "criticism" or "editorial commentary" is covered under Fair Use, but substantial use of copyrighted material in a parody for commercial purposes is copyright infringement.

If all you're changing is the words, you will most definitely be infringing on Queens copyright.
        -Rick

Comment

Wasn't Ice Ice Douchebag fully under the illusion that his version of the bass line for Queen's Under Pressure all his since the beat was slightly altered on it-lol
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I think so... still got his ass sued for it... and lost too IIRC.
            -Rick

Comment

Remember - Weird Al got Coolio's permission, but Coolio still wanted to bust a cap in Weird Al.

So just because you get permission doesn't mean the original artist won't come correct with the hammer cocked back.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Remember - Weird Al got Coolio's permission, but Coolio still wanted to bust a cap in Weird Al.

So just because you get permission doesn't mean the original artist won't come correct with the hammer cocked back.
                I think he got permission from the publisher or the owner of the rights. Coolio had no say in it, but was pissed because he was not in the loop and didn't get paid.

Comment

You can change the actual notes but use the same meter for both the words and music.

I'm assuming they want the chorus only? If so, that's easy enough to do, just play the bass riff backwards.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had a feeling you guys would say pretty much what you did. Out of couriosity let say......we recorded the song with different lyrics and gave it to the restaraunt owner free of charge. The he sends it to a raido station and play it on air as they're comercial. Queen hears it and is pissed. Who is responsable. For profit was mentioned...we did it for free.

Comment

The restaurant owner would be liable.
                      But I would advise him of the potential legal issue if he were to use it.
                      -Rick

Comment

I just read a thing about Weird Al recently. He was not allowed to put his song "You're Pitiful" on a CD because James Blunt and his manager wouldn't allow it. So instead he released it for free.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                          Wasn't Ice Ice Douchebag fully under the illusion that his version of the bass line for Queen's Under Pressure all his since the beat was slightly altered on it-lol
                          Yep..that tool!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                            I just read a thing about Weird Al recently. He was not allowed to put his song "You're Pitiful" on a CD because James Blunt and his manager wouldn't allow it. So instead he released it for free.
                            That's all well and good, but given that this jingle will be specifically to advertise for a business, there's profit motive and therefore clearances must be obtained and licenses bought.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would change the lyrics to something about ballsacks or some shit..that way nobody would wanna touch you with a 10 foot pole. In fact, write about your 10 foot pole..and ballsacks!

works for me..

Right Tommy...?
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X