Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Going to Start Recording

Bros,

Once I return from deployment, I'm going to be selling my Carvin V3 in favor of a Marshall JVM head + cabinet. I want to start recording and need to know what's required to set up a basic home studio. Let me put it this way: all I know I need is an amp and a mic.

So for all you guys who record at home...what's your setup like? If all things go to plan, I won't be living in the barracks after this deployment and will be back home in Savannah using my old bedroom as a studio. What would you recommend for me to mic the Marshall and record with my PC?

Also, what programs do you record with? I used Audacity when I had GuitarPort and that worked well.

Thanks,
    -David

If you dont mind me recomending you may want to try a splawn quikrod or nitro instead of the jvm. just some advice. Theyre a little cheaper and a can attest that the nitro sounds amazing.
    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

I'd recommend the Line 6 UX2 interface. 2 Instrument inputs, 2 phantom power Mic inputs, and it will do modelling of the stuff your Marshall may not do well. There are I'm sure higher quality ones out there that cost significantly more money but this will get you very nicely in the front door. As far as software I use Mixcraft (and the companion drum machine software Beatcraft) on the PC.

It's dead simple and handles looping as well as mixing. I can't really recommend a mic, because I've only used mine with modelling functions but the Shure SM57 seems to be the traditional go-to 6 guitar mic.

Line 6
      http://line6.com/podstudioux2/

Mixcraft
      http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/index.htm
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The GuitarPort gets the job done very well.

On the cheap I use a SHURE SM58 for guitars about $150.00. There's a $500.00 AKG that's really good too.

Also PRO TOOLS, LOGIC and CUBASE etc. have AMP MODS in their program but you sound like you are dedicated to getting 'your sound', from the speaker and a close-up microphone would be the way to go.
        Last edited by j4vice; 08-07-2009, 09:01 PM.
        JvicE

Comment

I think the Mbox system comes with Pro Tools LE.

If you could ditch the Amp I'd recommend an Axe-FX Ultra to Mbox/PC with PT-LE as a set up.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I love all the Splawn clips I ever heard, but I can truly play like a motherfucker thru a JVM!

WE get along quite well!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Digitech GSP1101 running into the soundcard. Models any amp you want - Dual and Triple Recs, JCM800/900, various Fender amps, 5150, etc. Doesn't sound half bad, but I can't swear to any of the models sounding "just like you're there" since most of those amps' tones are based on how they sound through various cabinets (which you can select from).

But if you're gung-ho for a raging head and cab with a mic on it, you can't go wrong with the classic setup of a Marshall halfstack and SM57.
              You might want some external pedals like a gain boost/overdrive, chorus, EQ, delay, wah, and reverb, and you probably won't be able to get a house miles away from neighbors so cranking at 2am would be out of the question, in which case you'd be better off with a rack system like the 1101
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

eh, i guess i am old school....

in my studio i use a rivera M100 head, a fender tremloux head, a reissue marshall jtm45 head - all through a 2x10 cab with celestions. i turn them up as loud as i need to in order to get the tone i want. i mic them with an sm-57 up close and then use a rode NT1 back about 3 feet and about mid-thigh high tilted downward. the amps are recorded in my hallway, which has carpet. the hall has a narrow width, 3 feet, and the height is about 11 feet. great, tight sound. i leave the back hall way door closed (the one behind the amp) and the front door open.

each mic is run through presonus tube mic preamp and a compressor before it goes to the input of my alesis HD24. i have always been very pleased with the sounds i get.

i don't worry about what the neighbors think. i live in a house and my amp is turned up all the time. most of my neighbors are intrigued as to what is going on, because they hear all these musical instruments all the time. hahahaha, it is a blast!!!

sorry i can't help you with a computer interface. i use my HD24 as a server and tranfer the tracks through ethernet over to my PC for editing (if needed) then send them back to the HD to be mixed on an analog board.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
                  If you dont mind me recomending you may want to try a splawn quikrod or nitro instead of the jvm. just some advice. Theyre a little cheaper and a can attest that the nitro sounds amazing.
                  +1...just got a Quickrod after getting rid of my Marshall and it is incredible.

As far as recording, Mbox does come with Pro Tools. The Mbox mini is pretty affordable, but there's a learning curve with Pro Tools. PLus your computer has to be fairly beefy to run PT.

Mic your cab with a Shure 57.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    I'd recommend the Line 6 UX2 interface. 2 Instrument inputs, 2 phantom power Mic inputs, and it will do modelling of the stuff your Marshall may not do well.
                    Yep! Or a GX, rather than UX, if you fancy something slightly cheaper.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Equipment-wise, I can't really help you there . . . but there is a good book I can recommend.

I have been working through the book "Home Recording for Beginners" by Geoffrey Francis.

It has a very good "30 day course" that the book takes you through... just do one "lesson" each day. (or however often you want to work on it)

The book is written for the REAPER DAW, so just be aware of that.

Francis explains all the concepts very clearly, and at a level that even total beginners (like me) can easily grasp.

The author hangs out at the REAPER forum... and the support from forum members in general is very good.

- Leo.

Comment

Working...
                      X