Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Song For A Sunday...

Or any day for that matter.

Kris Kristofferson rocks. Those old salty 60's and 70's country guys have it all over today's cookie cutter shit.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

When Johnny did this song on his show "The Johnny Cash show" the network told him he had to change the words, he couldn't say "stoned". He told them he would. Well, he didn't. Afterwards when asked why he didn't do it, he said that's the way Kris wrote it, so that's the way I sang it. They were really pissed at him.

Comment

Johnny was a character indeed and I was a fan.
        Another Johnny story, true too and the incident can still be seen ever once in awhile.

History, John had a reputation and that was ... don't try to tell him what he could or couldn't do, that never went over well with Cash. Sure enough if promoters and owners and etc told him not to do something, Johnny was defiant and at some point in the song or during the show he would do it.

The scenario was a show and the stage had a row of lights (light bulb like floor lights) that ran all across the front of the stage, starting at one end all the way to the other side/end. They told, "Cash we want you behaving out there and not acting up." Something to that effect.

Cash takes the stage to do a song and sure enough about middle way into the song, with his big cowboy boots and that defiant glare in his eyes and a smirk on his face. He stomps 2-3 of lights.
        To me as a fan, its one of those golden classical Cash moments.
        They should've left Cash alone.
        Here's a link to that show.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Another incident, Marty Stuart played in Cash's band and toured with him many years.
        Marty had an ugly guitar, it least to Cash anyways.
        Cash would constantly be on how ugly the guitar was and he ought to buy a new one and get rid of the guitar. Cash on couple a occasions even offered to buy the new guitar to replace the ugly one. Obvously, Marty declined and actually really like the guitar.

So at a show and to not be out done, in between songs.
        Johnny see's a young kid up front.
        Says, "tonight were giving away guitar and someone will be the lucky winner of a guitar." A couple songs later, Marty is clueless. Johnny says to Marty, "can I see your guitar for a minute." Still clueless Marty agrees. Johnny announces the winner of the guitar (the kid down in the front row or so) and hands Marty's ugly guitar to the kid.

That's Cash, never to be out done and never told what he could or couldn't do.
        Last edited by Soap; 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

That video was kind of a spoof to the first time that happened..Johnny was strung out on drugs and kicked all the FOH stage lights out...on...the GRAND OL' OPRY. They threw him out and banned him.

That version you showed was from his "The Johnny Cash" show. You can see Carl Perkins playing guitar for him. A legend playing for a a legend. Great stuff.

I would have loved to see him give away Marty's guitar LOL...

Him and Rodney Crowell (who was to marry Roseanne) were on a plane to Jamacia (where one of Johnny's homes were). Rodney was trying to talk to him and tell him how much he loved Roseanne etc...and all Johnny did, was turn to him and say, "I don't like you enough to miss you if you were gone."...Of course it ended way different over the years, but Rodney said that stuck with him forever.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
            That video was kind of a spoof to the first time that happened..Johnny was strung out on drugs and kicked all the FOH stage lights out...on...the GRAND OL' OPRY. They threw him out and banned him.

That version you showed was from his "The Johnny Cash" show. You can see Carl Perkins playing guitar for him. A legend playing for a a legend. Great stuff.

I would have loved to see him give away Marty's guitar LOL...

Him and Rodney Crowell (who was to marry Roseanne) were on a plane to Jamacia (where one of Johnny's homes were). Rodney was trying to talk to him and tell him how much he loved Roseanne etc...and all Johnny did, was turn to him and say, "I don't like you enough to miss you if you were gone."...Of course it ended way different over the years, but Rodney said that stuck with him forever.
            Good to know your a fan as well.
            Carl Perkin's, truly indeed a legendary player.
            He started "rockabilly guitar" he birthed that puppy. Stellar player.
            I think and I definitely can be wrong on this, but I believe one of his last if not the last live performance he did was with the Judds. I seen I clip of that performance, he never lost it, he owned the moment, it least to me anyways.

Cool stuff Jeri.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
            X