Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
    Just wondering, I'm bored obviously...

You aren't just giving him YOUR supra because of....?
    Hey, welcome back!

As for the car swap, it's a tough choice. The Audi's a nice car but it could potentially run you $1000+ just to get it functioning to your standards while it sounds as though the Supra's okay right now but will need stuff down the line. As a fan of Audis I would say do it but I just don't know in this situation.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      After 30+ years of driving I can tell if a car has been raped the fuck out of. This Audi has not been abused. The only upgrades are the clutch, crossed drilled rotors and the Borla exhaust.
      Its extremely clean inside.
      The differences between the Supra and the Audi are these...
      The Audi is 11 years newer
      The Audi is a Quattro, The Supra is rear wheel drive
      The Supra looks like an old sports car. It can use some body work and a paint job. The Audi looks very current and except for the damage on the passenger rear quarter it could pass as a new car.
      The Supra gets about 20mpg. The Audi gets 31mpg.
      I have to imagine that the Supra is going to start showing its age one of these days!! Since I rebuilt it, its been 100% dead reliable but how long can that last driving it all year around. I am also afraid its going to get stolen or vandalized. It definately stands out in a parking lot.
      The Audi.. although its a really nice looking car.. looks like many other foreign cars.
      Here is what I think about the "potential" of the Audi verses the Supra.
      At this point.. I have been trying to sell the Supra for 3K. The only people who want these old cars are Supra enthusiasts. Normal people who want a normal dependable car pass this one by because its 22 years old regardless of how incredibly dependable it is. With that said.. I have been having little to no luck selling or trading this car.
      The only guys interested are enthusiasts and they are few and far between. I don't see putting any money into the Supra because we won't see any of it on a return when we sell it. It needs extremely minor body work and a paint job. Thats about $1500.00 around here and then we are saddled to a 22 year old classic sports car with a new paint job that will be driven every day of the year and parked in every area imaginable. Not cool. One guy was all ready to trade a 1998 Acura CL 2.3 with 56K on it and he backed out because he lost his old job and needed to get a pickup truck for his new job.
      This new guy with the Audi has been looking for a clean one for a while now. He had one when he was 18 and wants to get another one. He intends on doing the cosmetics on the car.
      It seems to me that putting money into the Audi is more worth it. If maintained properly they are great cars. The things I worry about are the things about an Audi Quattro 1.8T Turbo that I don't know about. I have never owned a turbo car, I have never owned a quattro sports car. I have never owned an Audi. I don't want to saddle my son with a car that breaks down every month. Btw.. my son is not a speed demon or a reckless driver. He drives normally and generally takes care of his car.
      Sounds like you made your decision about what car you want.

Really though, my friend has the A4 1.8T, those things aren't fast. My stang makes it his bitch and he has a shit load of mods done to it. But like I mentioned, if you are really, really, really going for pure liability, you cannot go wrong with a civic or cars of that nature. If you want a little zazz..Well..
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

usa dk1 has the right idea. If the Supra was my car, I would never trade for an A4 - and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car nut since my preschool years (repairing them to racing them). Turbo cars are expensive to operate and repair; I've had 4. My experience with Audi is lots of electrical gremlins and it's unlikely I would ever own one. A Honda or Toyota with the same mileage will be a much more reliable car.
        Greg

'86 Model 1
        '87 Model 2
        '88 Model 3A
        '88 Model 3DR
        '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

Ive had 3 Audis, but never the small ones. From my experiance if you want an Audi that is rock solid, get one with a V8. Nothing ever goes wrong with them. The thing with all turbos is when, not if, they need to be rebuilt. They spin at huge velocity and its only a matter of time before something goes. A kid shouldnt be looking at fancy cars anyway, unless they want to be debt ridden for their entire lives. As for the Neon, I had one of those, and it never, ever gave me any troubles. It was a good little car. Drove like shit, but then its an econobox. Most car problems come from previous owners who dont maintain the car and then claim the car is faulty. A 1.8T would scare me, because the Audi forums ae full of guys who bought them, cracked them up to 400HP and then blamed Audi when the engine blew up. Give your kid the Neon, and you go get something nice. There will be a time for a nice car in the future..........

Comment

John, I dont know anything about the old audis but I'd take usa dk1 word on this one. You mention reliability several times, if its important you may not want to do the trade..
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I am bailing out of this one. Even the Audi forum guys say to stay away from a 98 1.8T unless I am willing to spend at least $1500.00 per year for repairs.

Comment

unless I am willing to spend at least $1500.00 per year for repairs.
                That's a dk1 per year.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Maybe plans are changing.... I talked to a few Audi mechanic friends of mine tonight and they told me that most of the horror stories I am hearing about are from people who don't maintain their cars and then take them to the dealership for repairs.
                  For instance... a turbo replacement at the dealership is about $1500.00.
                  The turbo itself costs $300.00 for a remanufactured one. I could install it myself easily. The dealer wants $200.00 to replace 1 coil pack. I can pick one up for $40.00 and install it myself in less than 10 minutes.
                  I am rethinking this.

Comment

Maybe plans are changing.... I talked to a few Audi mechanic friends of mine tonight and they told me that most of the horror stories I am hearing about are from people who don't maintain their cars and then take them to the dealership for repairs.
                    Well of course - the highest cost in maintaining any car is paying for hourly labor at a dealer or a repair shop. If you have the ability, equipment and time, you can save yourself a lot of money. That doesn't mean you not still going to have the same problems crop up.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      Well of course - the highest cost in maintaining any car is paying for hourly labor at a dealer or a repair shop. If you have the ability, equipment and time, you can save yourself a lot of money. That doesn't mean you not still going to have the same problems crop up.
                      I hear you on that. I am very "attentive" tp my families fleet of cars. I never let a little thing turn into a big thing.
                      I learned that lesson about 22 year ago when I let my wifes brakes and exhaust on her mustang go so bad that when I had to get it repaired (I didn't have a place to work on it at the time) it cost me $1200.00 for something I could have fixed for $200.00 it I didn't let it go.
                      I am just thinking that even though the Supra is mechanically 100% and has been 100% trouble free for that last year since I did all the work to it, its still a 22 year old car with many of the parts being original. Its starting to show its age a little cosmetically because its outside everyday and its a daily driver all year wrong. Its in parking lots, train stations, and generally parked all over town at times. There is going to come a time when the car is going to start to need more repairs. It would be nice to see somebody who loves the car get it and take it to the next level. This guy wants to give it a paint job, put big brakes on it, a 2.5" exhaust and restore it into the supercar it was meant to be. It really is an amazing piece of mechanics. Toyota pulled out all the stops on the Supra. Driving it in a foot of snow and getting sand and rocksalt all over it is a bummer every year.

Comment

Keep looking John. It sounds like what you're really looking for is something reliable, not too hard on gas, and not too expensive for parts. The Audi won't fulfill any part of that wishlist. If you can't find a Toyota, or Honda in your price range, maybe what you really need is another Neon.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          Keep looking John. It sounds like what you're really looking for is something reliable, not too hard on gas, and not too expensive for parts. The Audi won't fulfill any part of that wishlist. If you can't find a Toyota, or Honda in your price range, maybe what you really need is another Neon.

Thanks Paul. The problem I am having is dumping the Supra. I have been trying to sell it for almost 2 months. Just a few crummy trade offers.
                          Nobody wants to buy a 22 year old car regardless of how mechanically perfect it is.

Comment

Maybe an option would be to trade for the Audi, fix the cosmetic issues and flip it for a profit then buy a Honda?
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              Maybe an option would be to trade for the Audi, fix the cosmetic issues and flip it for a profit then buy a Honda?

Audi's in general don't have high resale value. I could probably address the issues and possibly break even. It appears that if the prospective buyer doesn't know about the timing belt issue many times they just aren't told. Then... catostrophic event. Timing belt snaps, valves bend, $4000.00 engine repair.
                              I always do tons of research before I buy any car. I check Edmonds, manufacturers forums, enthusiasts forums, dealerships and even local repair shops to find out the real lowdown.
                              I am sure the current owner had no idea that there was a class action suit against Audi for the timing belt and tensioner on B5 Audi and Volkswagon 1.8 Turbo motors.
                              I am sure he had no idea that Audi lost and that most of the cars were repaired or reimbursed for the repair if the car had less than 105K on it and was inspected by an Audi dealership.
                              Most car owners drive around in a cloud not having any idea what could or is about to happen to their car.

Comment

Thanks Paul. The problem I am having is dumping the Supra. I have been trying to sell it for almost 2 months. Just a few crummy trade offers.
                                Nobody wants to buy a 22 year old car regardless of how mechanically perfect it is.
                                I totally understand. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be difficult unloading any car right now for a decent price. Good luck in your search.
                                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                                X